La Scala Split Project

On 6/22/2018 at 1:41 AM, drboar said:

How about a socket in one part and a short rod sticking out from the other part? That would attach them in a similar way to that ball and socket corner thing.

There is no ball and socket.  I'm referring to the fact that the top is a truncated isosceles triangle with no orthogonal corners, while the corners are made for 90 degrees only.  To make them fit the truncated triangle, material would have to be removed from the front corners and added to the back corners.

Thinking about two solutions to this.  @MookieStl proposed one workable solution and I came up with a different one.  I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons now.

• Like 1

1. I'd check around for a machinist/metal worker to see if someone could hack the ball corners for me.

2. Barring that, I'd make a "corner jig" out of a piece of wood stock, screw the ball down to that jig - skipping the one screw that'd be cut - and then run the whole assembly thru a bandsaw. You'd need a lot of those jigs, maybe, but they only need to be blocks big enough to hold the balls securely a couple of screws.

3. I don't know if I'd bother with trying to add material to the opened-up balls on the rear corners. If those are cut with two cuts -- one in line with with the "ears" -- they'd look like they were designed for the angle, I think.

4. Sorry bout the long-ended comment. It's hard to talk w/o a pencil.

5. I missed the alternatives you & Mookie talked about. Good luck, they're shaping up nicely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well.  I met @MookieStl today for the first time, and I'm here to tell those that don't know...  he's a straight up good dude.  He's helping me out with my HF corner problem, and I can't tell y'all how happy I am about it.  You folks may not realize how cool this Klipsch community is, but this is a really special place.  We didn't know each other at all, and in fact, I only talked to him on the phone maybe 2 minutes before I met him in person.  We did some listening with one of his LSIs on one channel and one of my splits on the other channel.  Sounded great.  The best part is we couldn't tell the difference between the two channels.  We had 'em maybe 20 feet apart and toed in a bit and tried all listening distances and they sounded consistently good.

We wound our way through some SRV, Head East, Aristocrats, some Steven Wilson, a bit of Diana Krall, Joss Stone, and Norah Jones, and even some Moxy and Zebra, all the while talking about drivers and crossovers and KHorns and Belles and La Scalas and Heresys and a few other things, and didn't even have beers or even chairs.  

I can't wait to update you all on the Splits project, but without Mookie's help on this roadblock, I may not have ever updated you again.

code

• Like 4

Just for the record, we did have beer and chairs, we just didn't use them! And I wasn't the only "good dude" in the room!

You're 95% there, glad I could help you get past the last hurdle. You're splits are going to be very nice. Can't help but want to help a guy building splits that he plans to lend to friends for parties!  You should mount a go pro on them and record the reaction on the faces of people hearing La Scalas for the first time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MookieStl said:

You should mount a go pro on them and record the reaction on the faces of people hearing La Scalas for the first time. 

Priceless!

• 1 month later...

Finally got a couple of corners on the front of the HF section.  Thanks to @MookieStl for fabricating them for me!  I am limited on time these days but hope to have more trim on soon and have better photos.  Also, in the first photo you can see a bit of the other LF bin still needing to be puttied and sanded and painted...

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

• Like 2

Today I got the K-401 and K-77 mounted to the front panel and got the front panel attached to the bottom & sides.

The top is removable with screws.

These are odd angles, but here are a few shots:

IMG_0422.jpg

Straight down inside from the back.

IMG_0421.jpg

Waiting for the front to bottom / sides glue to set, then the top comes off and I'll clean it all up a bit then start on the wiring & crossover mounting.

There might be another update tonight, who knows.

• Like 2

Yesterday I made backs for the HF sections and attached them.  The way the HF sections are made is that all sides are glued and brad nailed together except for the top, which is screwed on.

Today I painted the new back sections, let them dry a bit then worked on putting the lower rear corners on the HF sections.  We have family in town so I could only do a little bit.

IMG_0470.jpg

• Like 3