La Scala Split Project

I've gotten a lot of good feedback about this thread and I'm happy that people like it.  It has taken way longer than it should have but I've been pretty busy with life things.  Thanks for the feedback and questions!

Metal trim is straight from Home Depot.  I'm pretty sure it is made by Everbilt.  It is called "aluminum angle 3/4".  If in the U.S., just visit Home Depot or Lowe's and look in the aluminum extrusion section of the hardware aisle.  Comes in a couple of lengths and is fairly inexpensive.  It is held on primarily by the corners, but also has long strips of vinyl double-sided tape underneath to help it grip and to prevent vibrations.

I special ordered some 3/4" U-channel for the fronts of the LF sections, but it hasn't arrived yet.  Right now I'm using 90 degree angle for that, but it only protects the outside edge of the speaker.  That's where most of the hits would come from, anyway, but because my factory La Scala cabinets were so beat up, the inner edges are pretty rough.  The thought was that if I could find U shaped extrusions with the right shoulder length, I'd be able to cover both the outside as well as the inside edges of the La Scala LF fronts.

When it arrives I'll take pictures, assuming it is the right dimensions.  I also have some very thin and narrow 90 degree stock that could be used on the V front of the LF bin.  I have to close it up a bit to make the proper angle, but it'd protect the leading edge of the V perfectly, and would probably look good too.

We'll see.  I'll post photos when I have them.

• Like 2

• Moderators

That looks great, I like everything you did to them, and having something similar but diy I really like the handles. The top half is not giant but very awkward to try to handle without a handle. The trim looks great and the paint also, just one thing. If you store them anywhere where there are wasp shove some rags into the mouth of each top horn when stored.

Some wasp built nest in my horns almost blocking them before i noticed, had to take them all apart to clean it out which is no fun. Since I have used some black fiberglass window screen to cover each horn, I don't want to go through that again.

You did  a great job on those they look amazing.

There is one rule......

When you get done they will need some outdoor playtime, it's only right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

You did  a great job on those they look amazing.

There is one rule......

When you get done they will need some outdoor playtime, it's only right.

Thanks, and yes, they will have plenty.  I'm adding a weather-resistant SpeakOn patch panel on the outside of my workshop (which houses my Klipschorns and amp rig) so I can feed to the outside.  That way I can plug in from the outside without snaking wires through the door.

Also, at least one friend has requested to borrow them for a while, and I've offered them for a picnic next year too.