La Scala Split Project

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Looks great!  Any chance you'd want to share the template for the logo?

Thanks Jim.  Those are vinyl.  Available on eBay and other places.  The font isn't right, which required me to make a cut in the K and put it back together.  You can see that a bit in the lower photo.

I'll probably paint it on if it gets torn off.  I've also considered clear-coating it with something to make it a bit more durable, but for now I think I'll leave it as-is.

Use the vinyl to make a cardboard template out of a manila file folder, then spray paint it white with a little overspray on purpose. It will look like a hardened road cabinet form back in the day. BTW, outstanding thread. I've come back to it many times and really enjoy it.

thewho.jpg.14a61c694efc5cba6841c74cd609dd6a.jpg

• Like 2

Paul,

This was a fun project to watch unfold. From the beginning when I was thinking "oh no, don't cut the top off!!" to these final photos. I'm a sucker LS splits and got to see one of them 3/4 of the way complete, so I probably enjoyed more than most. Thanks for sharing with us.

• Like 1

Today I got the trim cut for the 2nd HF section, and dusted off the remaining LF section.

I'll post a few more photos as those two get done then a few of all four together, but with the completion of one full stack, this thread is largely done.

Thanks are in order, and the big three are these:

Thanks to @Hornographic for driving and helping me load up those original beat-up factory cabinets.  We spent the good part of a full day retrieving them and shared one (not so good) meal at Waffle House, so he took time to do this for FREE.  He's been a good friend, mentor and sometimes coworker over the past almost 20 years, and is fully bitten by the Klipsch bug.  He's on the borrow-approved list.

Thanks to my buddy Dave, who is also a Klipsch fanatic with a set of La Scala's.  He's not on this forum, but helped me with a few decisions with these beasts over beer and music, and has also been a good friend for almost 35 years.  He's also on the borrow-approved list.

Thanks to @MookieStl for design ideas and 16 beautiful corners that he took the time to design.  He fabricated them from raw stock, cutting, forming, welding, drilling and polishing, all for FREE in his incredible shop.  This project would have stopped for a long time and maybe for good if it weren't for him.  I've only known him for a few months, but I consider him a friend.  He is of course on the borrow-approved list.

Thanks to a bunch of others in this thread for kind words and advice along the way.  

And finally, I'm sitting here tonight in beautiful Missouri September air, awaiting the imminent birth of our 5th grandchild Eleanor, while tending this fire with my canine sidekick:

IMG_0567.jpg

That wood on top is the old top section (complete with hideous handle cutout) from one of the factory La Scala's.  I'm tipping a glass to PWK.  I know it is just plywood, but it came from Hope and was maybe once touched by the man himself.  Thanks to PWK for designing the speakers we all love, and, in a way, making this project possible too.

Thanks, everybody!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the front edge "L" extrusions with "U" extrusions on the LF bin.  This hides the ratty interior edge and helps support the new armor for the leading edge of the V.  I ordered this stuff more than a month ago and USPS lost it.  Earlier last week they found it in Florida and here it is.  Looks much better.

IMG_0650.jpg

• Like 3