La Scala Split Project

Last LF bin is fully painted and some trim is on.  Two HF bins and one LF bin are in my vehicle tonight, destined for work tomorrow.  Looks like the first outing will be a company BBQ near an airshow.  I hope everything works out and sounds good!

I will take photos of the stacks at the party if I remember it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Last LF bin is fully painted and some trim is on.  Two HF bins and one LF bin are in my vehicle tonight, destined for work tomorrow.  Looks like the first outing will be a company BBQ near an airshow.  I hope everything works out and sounds good!

I will take photos of the stacks at the party if I remember it.

Hope your BBQ is Saturday, looks like the pick day of the weekend. Should be fun unleashing these bad boys at long last.

Here are a couple of pix of @codewritinfool's LaScala splits at the company BBQ he mentioned. The grill was outside, but the party was inside a storage area near Spirit airport due to the cool weather. Thanks to our host, Bob G, for the brats, burgers, beer & wine.

The splits looked great - nice work by CWF (& @MookieStl). They sounded great too... but we all expected that.

cwf-ls-splits-1.png

cwf-ls-splits-2.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hornographic said:

Here are a couple of pix of @codewritinfool's LaScala splits at the company BBQ he mentioned. The grill was outside, but the party was inside a storage area near Spirit airport due to the cool weather. Thanks to our host, Bob G, for the brats, burgers, beer & wine.

The splits looked great - nice work by CWF (& @MookieStl). They sounded great too... but we all expected that.

cwf-ls-splits-1.png

cwf-ls-splits-2.png

Good to see them both up and running! Still need to unleash them outside, that is always fun too. Shame the weather kept them inside this time, but...

• 2 weeks later...

You never know how well things will work until you release them to the dumb users. 🙂

So today I hauled  @codewritinfool's splits from the garage, where he'd left them after the BBQ, to my place. Ain't nobody using 'em in that garage, right?

Here's a set of pix that shows packing them into my Toaster (Scion xB) and then set up in my home office (and cat refuge). No problem at all fitting them into the Toaster.

CWF had made a very nice pair of speaker cables for his splits. They're 50 feet long with Speakon connectors at each end. I don't know if he's done any time as a roadie, but I did a little (long ago) and those connectors are great. Tear-down and deployment were both a snap.

The only comment I have about moving them is the edges of the corner guards caught on the upholstery in the Toaster in a couple of places. No big deal and nothing got damaged, but it did take a just a bit of finagling when unloading them.

Then I rolled them in, set 'em up, poured a fresh cup of coffee, and cranked up a little Stacey Kent . Mmm-mmm-good...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

Nice! They look great in your place.

Yeah, they're looking pretty good. But of course they sound wonderful... even tho I'm missing that Khorn bass presence just a little.

I think what I "need" is a more permanent pair. I should find a pair of old standard La Scalas and give them the @Matthews re-finishing treatment.

Did Bob G buy those that you found a couple of weeks ago?

Yeah, they're looking pretty good. But of course they sound wonderful... even tho I'm missing that Khorn bass presence just a little.

I think what I "need" is a more permanent pair. I should find a pair of old standard La Scalas and give them the [mention=36834]Matthews[/mention] re-finishing treatment.

Did Bob G buy those that you found a couple of weeks ago?

Glad to hear they sound great. I think so too.

Yeah, if I had a place for them, I’d like a beautiful furniture pair too.

No, Bob passed TWICE. Now he regrets it.

Ya realize a departed mutual friend of ours (T.V.) had a beautiful pair that he sold before departing STL? I didn’t until he had already gone.

Crank those things up and enjoy! I’ll bring by the THTLP sub when it is done and the whole experience might just be better than KHorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

How did they sound with the top hats turned on their sides, compared to the normal position?

Good question. I hadn't tried the typical LS configuration, so I did and compared them.

Subjectively, the "sideways" orientation shown in the pix seems to give a better presence and I prefer it. Because of all the other furniture & gear in the room, I wanted to raise the focus for the HF sections with that orientation.

Objectively, I can't give a very good answer because the only measurement tool I have at hand is the Android Sound Meter applet, and that shows very little difference (no surprise). I don't have the gear to capture profiles of the room for each orientation. Those might give some useful info.

In short, the usual "audio answer": no definitive data -- just some guy's opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

When looking at your pictures, I thought the angled top hat position would be good for listening while standing, like at a party.

That's exactly right. When I stand at the midpoint, my head's right in the focus. It'd be great for parties.

It's just a little too high for a sitting position - but still better than having the focus at furniture/monitor level. Since it's my office, I don't have the usual sofa-in-the-family-room layout there.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, codewritinfool said:

More photos of the completed HF section:

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

This is the only area I have seen that I would personally change on your speakers. Paul Wilbur Klipsch was a humble Genius, all during his ownership, Paul used the Klipsch Logo with the lower case "k", the upper case "K" was not used until after he sold Klipsch to his distant cousin Fred Klipsch, I personally would use the lower case "k" logo to honor Paul  :D

• Like 2

This is the only area I have seen that I would personally change on your speakers. Paul Wilbur Klipsch was a humble Genius, all during his ownership, Paul used the Klipsch Logo with the lower case "k", the upper case "K" was not used until after he sold Klipsch to his distant cousin Fred Klipsch, I personally would use the lower case "k" logo to honor Paul  [emoji3]

Duly noted. I think several people have expressed the opinion that the logos are over the top anyway. Might as well have the right k on there.

When I first heard La Scala speakers, it was at an outdoor party and I thought they sounded great but I didn’t know what they were. I remembered vividly the V front and much later it was confirmed for me that the La Scala was what I was hearing that day.

I didn’t want that happening to a new listener. I wanted them to have no doubt as to the make of speaker they were hearing.

I wanted their experience to be, “WOW! Klipsch! I’ve been lied to by ordinary speakers all these years!”

So that’s why the logos are so big. I will correct the k, though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hornographic said:

That's exactly right. When I stand at the midpoint, my head's right in the focus. It'd be great for parties.

It's just a little too high for a sitting position - but still better than having the focus at furniture/monitor level. Since it's my office, I don't have the usual sofa-in-the-family-room layout there.

A. Oddly enough, I had my splits set up like that outdoors this weekend. We were sitting up on a deck so I put them on their side to "aim up" at us (only about 3 feet up). I thought it sounded better that way. It even passed the three beer test. (Still sounded better after no longer caring.) I put them back down when we move out into a field for a bonfire.

B. I can see in the reflection of your car window that you were at "The Place" by Spirit Airport, I made all the flat metal canopies you see everywhere in that complex.

C. If you decide to go all "@Matthews" with a pair of LS, let me know, I made the grills for him (he put the fabric on them). I'll hook you up (still have the router files)

D. if (when) CWF gets the THTHLP done, I will have to give that setup a listen (he's on a roll, isn't he?)

E. My splits didn't fare as well, they did not live up to my other faux LSi's that I normally use (non splits). Vocals sounded muddy, as if in a well. Not horrible, but not up the expectations. I had not updated these, so I am taking them apart now. These things are like a jigsaw puzzle, but one is in pieces. Guess I'll start by refreshing the AAs.

LSIparts.thumb.jpg.0a8697d3aa5bf235cfe7f8c86fea0af2.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MookieStl said:

A. Oddly enough, I had my splits set up like that outdoors this weekend. We were sitting up on a deck so I put them on their side to "aim up" at us (only about 3 feet up). I thought it sounded better that way. It even passed the three beer test. (Still sounded better after no longer caring.) I put them back down when we move out into a field for a bonfire.

B. I can see in the reflection of your car window that you were at "The Place" by Spirit Airport, I made all the flat metal canopies you see everywhere in that complex.

Good eye! That's the place all right. Those're nice looking canopies.

C. If you decide to go all "@Matthews" with a pair of LS, let me know, I made the grills for him (he put the fabric on them). I'll hook you up (still have the router files)

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

D. if (when) CWF gets the THTHLP done, I will have to give that setup a listen (he's on a roll, isn't he?)

Your shop's in V.P. right? That's not far from me. When he gets his bass box ready, I can move CWF's splits to your shop or you can come by my place, whichever works.

E. My splits didn't fare as well, they did not live up to my other faux LSi's that I normally use (non splits). Vocals sounded muddy, as if in a well. Not horrible, but not up the expectations. I had not updated these, so I am taking them apart now. These things are like a jigsaw puzzle, but one is in pieces. Guess I'll start by refreshing the AAs.

For "refreshing" the AAs in my Khorns, I applied ALK's Super AA mod (at CWF's recommendation). Those turned out great.

22 hours ago, MookieStl said: