Fortes in the corners

Terry Palmer

Try it and see!

Corner placement increases bass, sometimes unevenly, or too much, but it is a good bet the sound will be better with the speakers in a corner.  PWK used to say that moving speakers from a position out in a room (not against a wall) into a corner would be like multiplying  your amplifier power in watts by 4.  He urged people to try any speaker, regardless of design. in a corner.  If you do that, you might want to put some absorbing material on the two side walls that form the corner, just in front of the speakers, and for 2 or 3 feet farther along the walls, out into the room, to prevent any midrange and treble from the horns from bouncing off very near walls.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I would think good idea, just not tight in corners like a Klipschorn since there may be a problem with the passive being that close., Try it and see, I doubt it could hurt the speaker, maby just sound a little funny if to close ?

Edit :  HA we must have been typing at the same time

• Like 1

Try it,  costs nothing. But if you value an even tonal balance over "more" bass, i dont think you will like them there. I have my forte IIIs about three ft. from the wall and well away from the corners. The bass is extended and well defined and the imaging and soundstage are excellent in this position.

Shakey

29 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Try it,  costs nothing. But if you value an even tonal balance over "more" bass, i dont think you will like them there. I have my forte IIIs about three ft. from the wall and well away from the corners. The bass is extended and well defined and the imaging and soundstage are excellent in this position.

Shakey

What kind of music do you listen to?  Many CDs now have bass attenuated and the tonal balance shifted toward a harsh midrange emphasis (see Chris A's posts on remastering).   I agree the OP should try it with a cross section of CDs, and go with what he likes.

9 hours ago, Terry Palmer said:

Has anyone tried Fortes in corners like Klipschhorns? Good idea? Bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had mine they sounded great in the corners but I preferred them pulled out about 18".

Worth a shot.

Bill

3 hours ago, garyrc said:

What kind of music do you listen to?  Many CDs now have bass attenuated and the tonal balance shifted toward a harsh midrange emphasis (see Chris A's posts on remastering).   I agree the OP should try it with a cross section of CDs, and go with what he likes.

The only types of music I don't listen to are current pop music and rap. I listen to a lot of classic rock, Americana, blues and jazz.\

Like I said, doesn't hurt anything to try 'em in the corners. Just doesn't work for me.

Shakey

• Like 1

The only types of music I don't listen to are current pop music and rap. I listen to a lot of classic rock, Americana, blues and jazz.\

Like I said, doesn't hurt anything to try 'em in the corners. Just doesn't work for me.

Shakey

I tried it. It’s a small room (listening room/office). But in the corners I noticed I lost the imaging and soundstage. The sound from both speakers crossed each other pretty quickly. The bass seemed a little more enhanced and the speakers did seem louder. But I pulled them out of the corner and out away from the wall about 12”-15” like you said, with just a small amount of toe end. The imaging and soundstage really shined, and the bass sounded tighter. I can’t pull them out too far tho, because the room is too small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terry Palmer said:

I tried it. It’s a small room (listening room/office). But in the corners I noticed I lost the imaging and soundstage. The sound from both speakers crossed each other pretty quickly. The bass seemed a little more enhanced and the speakers did seem louder. But I pulled them out of the corner and out away from the wall about 12”-15” like you said, with just a small amount of toe end. The imaging and soundstage really shined, and the bass sounded tighter. I can’t pull them out too far tho, because the room is too small.

I have tried corner loading with cornwalls, cornscalas and now the fortes. The sound just comes from the speaker positions with no sense of the music "existing"in the room, as it should be. Makes them sound rather boxy too.

Shakey

• Like 1

I actually found corner-loading smoothed out my Fortes quite a bit.  Any stridency disappeared from the sound.

The negative was that the wide soundstage collapsed.

I have them now about 4 inches from the corners, toed in slightly, and it seems to be the best of both worlds.  Each are aimed just outside of my easy chair.

8 hours ago, Terry Palmer said:

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have tried corner loading with cornwalls, cornscalas and now the fortes. The sound just comes from the speaker positions with no sense of the music "existing"in the room, as it should be. Makes them sound rather boxy too.

Shakey

42 minutes ago, ScooterMcTavish said:

I actually found corner-loading smoothed out my Fortes quite a bit.  Any stridency disappeared from the sound.

The negative was that the wide soundstage collapsed.

I have them now about 4 inches from the corners, toed in slightly, and it seems to be the best of both worlds.  Each are aimed just outside of my easy chair.

Loss of imaging with corner placement may be due to very early midrange and treble reflections off the side walls of the corner.   A couple of absorbers placed on those side walls may reduce that effect greatly.   These are not first reflection point absorbers (diffusion might work better at first reflection points). See Chris A's posts, especially Corner Horn Imaging.

image.thumb.png.750665c7935077064c31ec57a5d7c3df.png

The best imaging I ever heard was in a huge room (not mine), maybe 35 feet wide, with Khorns in the corners and absorbers on the sides of the corners, beyond the Khorns.