New to Klipsch

My older son has original Heresy speakers and I have the Heresy II. I have felt the Heresy II has better tonal balance, and works well in the rooms I have used them in. They are currently hooked up to an Alesis RA 100 amp (75 watts into 8 ohms). I have my tv playing through them, as well as a karaoke machine (my filipina wife and her friends love to come and sing). They are in a 20x21 ft room, and plenty loud AND clean. They are flanked by some Klipsch LaScalas (more than 8 times the size and fully horn loaded), which are so efficient that I use 3.5 watt tube amps with them.

As a bit of comparison, the Klipschorn, La Scala and Belle are all horn loaded, with the Khorn and LaScala sharing the same size mid/tweeter horns and drivers. I could easily live with the smaller models that Klipsch makes, even though I really like the larger ones.

Bruce

• Like 1

Welcome! A set of the Heresy ll you may be looking at close by may just be the ticket. I at the moment have a pair of the LaScala Klipsch in a rather small space. Nearfield listening has been great even with speakers their size. The Heresy and your Cambridge may well mate well indeed. Would listen to the Heresy first to decide if you want/need a subwoofer. Just my 2 cents. 

BTW, when I want to turn it up, I just do so and sit in an adjoining room. Sounds good to me...cheers!

Well there you go, just put my name down on Ebay and will be in contact with the seller over this week. Now starting to get excited about what my first record will be on them. All roads lead to Neu or the latest Kamasi Washington E.P. (well from the one last year) which are both sonic joys of utter brilliance and incredibly well pressed on vinyl. A special thank you to @DizRotus who shared some thoughts, feelings and recommendations on the Hearsys speakers. 

In other news, if anyone wants to read up on The Lucky Cloud Soundsystem (the start of this all) https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3123 there is mention of the sound system and the surround k-horn (see, I am getting the lingo now!) set-up.

We attended Fabric (a London night club institution) on Sunday and once heralded to having the best sound system in the UK designed by Martin Audio, whilst it was loud and has a lot of bottom end - the clarity and middle section of records are hidden by the stronger drum sections. Both my girlfriend and I were sadly not impressed. 

Will post back soon xxx

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, MerkinMuffley said:

Hello!

I'm here to graze - -  on a friend's rec. I'm considering another stereo system after many years without one. Just looking at what's new, what's happening. Big site...tons of topics.

Hi Merkin, welcome.  You might want to start a separate thread if you have questions about recommendations, etc.  A lot is going to depend on your space, your budget, your music choices, etc, etc, etc.  It's a fun journey.

8 minutes ago, MerkinMuffley said:

Hey thanks Jim....at some point I might have those Q's. But right now, I'm sort of just catching up on things - not even sure if I will do it. Might be a passing fancy.

Lots of very knowledgeable people on here, and experts at helping you find the best deals possible, also experts at helping to spend your money!

Welcome....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a day yesterday was ! We headed to 20 minutes away from our home to meet Guy and his wife. Guy was the main distributor for Klipsch from the early 90's to the late 90's in the UK and he was residing in his apartment with his wife now in retirement, and occasionally selling off some old new stock. I thought that I would be doing a quick transaction but Guy was an absolute gent and deeply in love with audio and Klipsch speakers. This came from having him meet Paul Klipsch and the family at a conference, afterwards he started a journey of audio having been disappointed with his DJ set up and speakers in the UK. He went searching and then found Klipsch in his opinion to be unbeatable, something that he felt was a love affair that had never let him down. We were treated to his Heresy Speakers II running through an Exposure amp which was in true audio salesman way the greatest welcome, he talked through his love of collecting music and searching for the perfect sound dropping in occasional numbers, amp rates, db settings. He showed me his catalogues, prices lists, folders of Klipsch information, the price of k-horns in 91 and how he now has two k-horns in Ireland at his countryside retreat. His wife advised 'well he could be in to worse things'. 

We got the speakers out which had a tiny scratch on, as a result he knocked £75 off, he did not want me to leave without having heard them. So we trialled them, got them out the box which were brand new - checked the serial numbers etc. As a result, I left with two Heresy speakers - over joyed and happy, also feeling like I had found a bargain.  

At home I opened the speakers up with Kamasi Washington - Truth (this was the first music I heard on Klipsch speakers just over a month ago) and then went into Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven and various soul, disco, soft rock and funk records. Incredible. I then listened to War - City Country City and couldn't stop grinning, something that also happened when Guy played me some instrumentals at his home, a grin wouldn't leave my face and my girlfriend said the same. 

Next steps for me are the following: a new amp, whilst my amp is holding up well I feel a new amp will bring some more fidelity to this. My knowledge on amplification including the technical side of things and what to look for in the design/description and abilities I have little knowledge on. Is there an idiot guide to audio anywhere :) ? I played some more low end music and felt whilst the sub isn't really needed for home listening, again, getting one wouldn't be a bad idea - the bottom end is slightly hidden but it's no biggie at the moment. 

Also as my room is so small, the sweet spot is actually a foot or so down from where I sit above the speakers. I am going to get some stand of sort, Ikea in the UK have a table which would work - or something similar to this would also do I feel. https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/tables/coffee-side-tables/lack-side-table-black-art-20011408/ - anyone got any thoughts on this ? Would that be OK ? Also, I'll get some laptop stands to adjust the speakers to be pointed upwards. 

I went for a walk last night and said to my partner, although this was one of the biggest spend I have made outside of a house or a long holiday it felt like one of the wisest things to do. It feels like a journey from one sound system to my one at home. Sound really does come alive with the right speakers, in fact all my records now sound completely different. Sonic, real and clear. No bullshit. 

A thank you to all that advised, been kind and guided me to this point. 

20180408_094046.jpg

• Like 7

Congrats on your new toys. I still remember the excitement and joy when I got my Klipsch speakers.....and though I modded mine a bit I am still very happy indeed whenever I listen to them - so an investment that was certainly woth the financial outlay.

Such Ikea tables should work - I used something similar for a while for my upstairs system. But you might find that when you raise the Heresy off the floor the bass will get less - so in my opinion that makes a sub even more desirable (and I'd go for an SVS - like has been suggested in this thread before).

Amplification? That can be a can of worms as everybody will suggest something else - topology, brands etc. My first question would be why do you think that you need a new amp - what are you hoping to achieve? Personally I have made very positive experiences with so-called Class-d amps - but them you'd need a seperate preamp as well.

Anyway, for the time being enjoy your new speakers!

• Like 3

Tom,

Congratulations on your excellent acquisition.  I hope we didn’t put too much pressure on you.   Most here would have done what we twisted your arm to do.  Enjoy!

With all that vinyl we should talk about the Reg Williamson (British audio legend) cleaning system.  Please read the attached articles and look at the thread started by  Dave @Mallette, which has a link to my original thread.  Some of the photos and attachments are missing from those old threads, but you’ll get the idea.  If after reading the articles and perusing the threads, you’re interested in pursuing this, contact me using the info in the earlier PM.

TAA_articles.pdf

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

I went for a walk last night and said to my partner, although this was one of the biggest spend I have made outside of a house or a long holiday it felt like one of the wisest things to do. It feels like a journey from one sound system to my one at home. Sound really does come alive with the right speakers, in fact all my records now sound completely different. Sonic, real and clear. No bullshit. 

Congratulations

Your right it was very wise, they are built to last and the money spent over a lifetime of music is almost nothing per hour. The only thing you will need to do is change out the capacitors to get them back to original spec's, this will be in about 15-20 years. :) Pretty good considering it's really cheap to do yourself, in a time when most things are made to be disposable these are made to last, it's why I thought it was a wise choice.

Have fun

• Like 2

Getting within days of starting cleaning operations. Just need to get some dowel to build one or two 10 disc or so jigs to hold them apart whilst drying. Will report. Cleaner still appears to be in good shape as I kept it double sealed and at controlled temp.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Tom!  Enjoy your speakers and tunes in a new way!  Clean, crisp, clear and most of all cooool.  These guys might push but know and trust in them.  It's an experience that's for sure...  Enjoy and relax...  It'll all sort in time!   Additionally, the story on the Loft is pretty incredible and quite the experience for those involved I'm sure!  :)

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Getting within days of starting cleaning operations. Just need to get some dowel to build one or two 10 disc or so jigs to hold them apart whilst drying. Will report. Cleaner still appears to be in good shape as I kept it double sealed and at controlled temp.

Dave

I’m curious about the performance of the cleaner with 78s.  The 1941 demo disc I cleaned and ripped to CD for Marty, @thebes, appeared to be closer in composition to a 78 than to the vinyl of 33 1/3 LPs or 45s.  That disc responded well to the goop.

• Like 1

I’ll demonstrate my ignorance on this topic.  Do capacitors deteriorate due to age alone?  Are the caps in Tom’s “unused” H2s in need of attention, or has their non-use until now kept them from aging?  My hope, For Tom’s sake, is that the answer is that time alone, without use, is not an enemy.  What do yo say, @Deang, @BEC, @ClaudeJ1, @DrWho, or anyone else who has the technical expertise to answer the question.

Irrespective of the answer, IMO, these NOS, H2s were a bargain, even if the caps are replaced in the near future.

2 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

What do yo say, @Deang, @BEC, @ClaudeJ1, @DrWho, or anyone else who has the technical expertise to answer the question.

Irrespective of the answer, IMO, these NOS, H2s were a bargain, even if the caps are replaced in the near future.

I vote for "don't worry, be happy." If they are film capacitors, then they should last beyond the life of the owner, if they are not over-driven. Assuming they are not Mylar, but polystyrene or polypropylene. Otherwise you could worry just a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1