New to Klipsch

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

Bob Crites

2 minutes ago, BEC said:

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

Bob Crites

I agree with Bob here. I have found that the poly film caps do not deteriorate like the old oil filled ones. That being said, it's all about the Equivalent Series Resistance, which when high, it tend to go towards less PURE capacitance and more resistive.

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree with Bob here. I have found that the poly film caps do not deteriorate like the old oil filled ones. That being said, it's all about the Equivalent Series Resistance, which when high, it tend to go towards less PURE capacitance and more resistive.

I will disagree with you about film caps.  They age just as quickly as any other caps.  Notice the ESR reading on these.  They are all film caps from Klipsch crossovers.

Bob Crites

IMG_0516.JPG.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1168.JPG.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, BEC said:

Bob Crites

They may have had higher ESR not due to age from sitting on a shelf, but from an earlier production run/model, where they weren't wound as tight.

An electrolytic will dry out over time, whether in use or not - but I really don't think that applies to hermetically sealed film or paper in oil.

Metallized dry films can develop an ESR related issue over time because the lead terminations aren't soldered -- basically anything where a conductive paste is used, and air and moisture combine over time to cause corrosion at the lead attachment point. Cheap caps are cheap for a reason.  

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, BEC said:

Those are probably all mylar.  I don't think I have so far ever encountered a poly cap in a Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Just so people don't get confused, but Mylar is polyester, and is also referred to as 'poly'.

Early series Reference stuff used metallized polypropylene, but now all back to using polyester.

On 4/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, BEC said:

Bob Crites

I can't resist the analogy of this "going bad just from old age." For those who think they will live longer by NOT exercising.............well, I guess people are like capacitors too. LOL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Just so people don't get confused, but Mylar is polyester, and is also referred to as 'poly'.

Early series Reference stuff used metallized polypropylene, but now all back to using polyester.

Ok, so I should have repeated polystyrene or polypropylene, but I think the latter is only available in values less than 1 microfarad.................so. I guess my new advice for those who suffer from "practical paranoia" (just as I do) is to just replace ALL the capacitors, no matter what. They are relatively inexpensive compare to the cost of the speakers and the time for future enjoyment after all. End of story for me!!!!!

@Tom_Birmingham ... welcome and congrats. Sorry I'm "late" to the party :)

Enjoy the Heresie's; they are very nice speakers.  But in a month you will add a pair of Forte's ... then some Cornwall's or LaScala's or  ... then some Professional Klipsch speakers :):)  The disease goes by many names ... Klipschitis ... etc.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 days in and the love affair continues. Having fallen in love with them I am sad that I can't get that first day feeling as I'm getting used to the speaker abilities now ! However, I am sure it will become more obvious when I get in front of some not so good speakers. Still though, they are ridiculously good.

Now.....for that amp.........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

6 days in and the love affair continues. Having fallen in love with them I am sad that I can't get that first day feeling as I'm getting used to the speaker abilities now ! However, I am sure it will become more obvious when I get in front of some not so good speakers. Still though, they are ridiculously good.

Now.....for that amp.........

Have you thought about giving Guy a call and asking his advice and if he knows anyone local??  Just  a shot...  

• Like 2