Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Birmingham

New to Klipsch

Recommended Posts

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

 

Bob Crites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BEC said:

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

 

Bob Crites

I agree with Bob here. I have found that the poly film caps do not deteriorate like the old oil filled ones. That being said, it's all about the Equivalent Series Resistance, which when high, it tend to go towards less PURE capacitance and more resistive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree with Bob here. I have found that the poly film caps do not deteriorate like the old oil filled ones. That being said, it's all about the Equivalent Series Resistance, which when high, it tend to go towards less PURE capacitance and more resistive.

I will disagree with you about film caps.  They age just as quickly as any other caps.  Notice the ESR reading on these.  They are all film caps from Klipsch crossovers.

 

Bob Crites

IMG_0516.JPG.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1168.JPG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BEC said:

They are all film caps from Klipsch crossovers.

Are they Mylar film? or Poly? Pretty sure the Yellow ones are Mylar, which are the worst.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are probably all mylar.  I don't think I have so far ever encountered a poly cap in a Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BEC said:

Those are probably all mylar.  I don't think I have so far ever encountered a poly cap in a Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Yep. Like those polys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The 1941 demo disc

Certainly would not be vinyl!

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, BEC said:

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

 

Bob Crites

They may have had higher ESR not due to age from sitting on a shelf, but from an earlier production run/model, where they weren't wound as tight.

 

An electrolytic will dry out over time, whether in use or not - but I really don't think that applies to hermetically sealed film or paper in oil.

 

Metallized dry films can develop an ESR related issue over time because the lead terminations aren't soldered -- basically anything where a conductive paste is used, and air and moisture combine over time to cause corrosion at the lead attachment point. Cheap caps are cheap for a reason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, BEC said:

Those are probably all mylar.  I don't think I have so far ever encountered a poly cap in a Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Just so people don't get confused, but Mylar is polyester, and is also referred to as 'poly'.

 

Early series Reference stuff used metallized polypropylene, but now all back to using polyester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning the measurements on those old capacitors: I think most of them measured poorly to begin with, and because of lousy construction, went downhill pretty fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Tom need to be concerned about the caps in his NOS H2s?

 

My advice is to enjoy them as they are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, BEC said:

Capacitors deteriorate from age whether used or not.  I got to find that out back when I was using the GE oil filled caps.  They had been in production for many years and once my supplier sent me some with some very old looking boxes.  I tested them and found them all to be high in ESR.  These had never been out of the boxes, but were bad just from age.

 

Bob Crites

I can't resist the analogy of this "going bad just from old age." For those who think they will live longer by NOT exercising.............well, I guess people are like capacitors too. LOL.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deang said:

Just so people don't get confused, but Mylar is polyester, and is also referred to as 'poly'.

 

Early series Reference stuff used metallized polypropylene, but now all back to using polyester.

Ok, so I should have repeated polystyrene or polypropylene, but I think the latter is only available in values less than 1 microfarad.................so. I guess my new advice for those who suffer from "practical paranoia" (just as I do) is to just replace ALL the capacitors, no matter what. They are relatively inexpensive compare to the cost of the speakers and the time for future enjoyment after all. End of story for me!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tom_Birmingham ... welcome and congrats. Sorry I'm "late" to the party :)

 

Enjoy the Heresie's; they are very nice speakers.  But in a month you will add a pair of Forte's ... then some Cornwall's or LaScala's or  ... then some Professional Klipsch speakers :):)  The disease goes by many names ... Klipschitis ... etc.

 

Cheers, Emile

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is actually a very contagious disease - but sometimes not having a lot of space helps - though we have a proverb that translates like: "there is always space - even in the smallest of huts".......:D.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 days in and the love affair continues. Having fallen in love with them I am sad that I can't get that first day feeling as I'm getting used to the speaker abilities now ! However, I am sure it will become more obvious when I get in front of some not so good speakers. Still though, they are ridiculously good.

 

Now.....for that amp.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I've found a lot of people on forums talking about Nad amps that are paired well. I'm looking around the £500 budget in the future if anyone can kindly make some recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

6 days in and the love affair continues. Having fallen in love with them I am sad that I can't get that first day feeling as I'm getting used to the speaker abilities now ! However, I am sure it will become more obvious when I get in front of some not so good speakers. Still though, they are ridiculously good.

 

Now.....for that amp.........

Have you thought about giving Guy a call and asking his advice and if he knows anyone local??  Just  a shot...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...