Will i damage my speakers?

chetanh

Hello

Home theater newbie here.

I recently brought some Klipsch speakers: RP-250f, RP-240s and a RP44c
I have it connected to a Onkyo TX-NR717.
I was looking at their specs and it looks like the RP-250F can handle continuous power of 100W, 440c will handle 125W and the 240S will handle 75W

The room where i have put these are 18X24X11 . So its fairly big. These were the only speakers in my price range.. cannot return them...

I usually listen to moves at reference level.
About 2 or 3 times a month we party and listen to music and it gets very very loud... so loud that the onkyo is at its max (well over reference) (95-99 on the absolute scale)

Here are the specs of the amp
All Channels 125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven)
Front L/R 110 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
125 W + 125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center 110 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R 110 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 110 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

As the output of the amp is higher than the rating of the speaker, do i risk damaging the speaker by craking it up so such loud level?

If yes then is there a way to electronically limit the power going to the speakers? It will be hard to ask people to turn it down.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, chetanh said:

About 2 or 3 times a month we party and listen to music and it gets very very loud... so loud that the onkyo is at its max (well over reference) (95-99 on the absolute scale)

NO it's the other way around, it take alot more amp than yours to produce a clean125 wpc, that rating is at 1 KHZ not the full bandwidth, your lucky to get a real 80 wpc. You are no way close to the speaker rating with clean watts, this is the real problem CLIPPING, when the amp tries to do more than it can it clips the signal which is what will ruin a speaker. clipping=distortion

A 30 wpc amp can fry your speakers if pushed to distortion.

Think about it like this, in your car......when you get past a certain place on the volume knob all you add is distortion and a tiny bit of volume, this distortion is an over pushed amp = speaker damage more so in a home speaker. I am surprised you have not blown lout a tweeter yet.

If ANY amp is at MAX there it a VERY HIGH chance of blowing up your speakers. NO amp made is clean power at max, it's that simple, none.

When they give specs on what a speaker can handle they are talking about clean power NOT distortion or any amp set to MAX.

Sorry for the bad news and Welcome.

I just hate to see you fry your speakers because you thought it sounded OK.

What about a sub ? Can't have a HT without a sub, this would also add a perceived higher volume with music so you did not have to push the speakers so hard. NO $ after buying speakers, there are many great diy subs out there.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oh wait!  I didn’t read all the way through your post.

this statement is not good

About 2 or 3 times a month we party and listen to music and it gets very very loud... so loud that the onkyo is at its max (well over reference) (95-99 on the absolute scale)”

You can definitely run your speakers that way

• Like 1

I have the Onk 717. Mr. @dtel statement directly upstream ^^^ that you will be lucky to get 80 wpc is correct.  The Onk power specs are misleading.  In general I find the more speakers I add the less dynamic the sound.  That being said the Onk will still drive your Klipsch speakers to very loud levels.

I suggest you go into the Onkyo On Screen Display menu and use the Volume Setup, Maximum Volume.  You can set the limit from 50-99.  This is detailed on Page 65 of the Manual, but if you go to the OSD you will figure it out very easily.  I have mine set to 90 so no matter what I can't overdrive my speakers. 

FYI the scale is Absolute Display and 82 is Reference level, so 90 is just above Reference level.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies...

I had the volume and 95-97 a few times and there was no perceivable difference in clarity of the music

its just that music on youtube can be crappy and people turn up the volume to be able to hear it...

How do i know that the speaker is clipping and its distored?

I have ordered a sub, should arrive Sunday... hope it will help

I will setup the mic volume to 90 or 92 that way there is no damage...

• Like 1

Get a better source (CD, iPod, etc) for music and maybe think about getting an external amp to drive your mains. Your onkyo has preouts so you hook up an external amp for your mains. With a CD player hooked up and a quality amp, and only listening in stereo (just 2 speakers), I would highly doubt you could get the volume that high.

4 hours ago, chetanh said:

I don't know what you mean by "mic volume."  You don't need to use the mic to re-run Audyssey if that's what you mean.

Did you find the section of the OSD menu where you can limit the volume?  If not I can find it on my Onk 717 and give you a better idea of exactly where to find that setting.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, chetanh said:

I have ordered a sub, should arrive Sunday... hope it will help

Good deal just remember the sub will have a gain knob on it, set it where it sounds good and the volume knob on your receiver will increase the signal to the sub when you turn it up. If when the music is turned up loud and it sounds like the sub if having a hard time turn the sub gain down until it sounds OK

Glad to see all of this I would hate to see you toast your speakers, these things don't come cheap. :emotion-21:

• Moderators

That's going to help alot, your going to love it. Get it all set up before your next party so you know where to have everything set and safe for the party, have fun. Wait to you add the sub the difference is going to be shocking.

If you have questions about how to set the crossover and how to get the sub balanced with everything just ask questions. You want the sub where it blends in and gives the speakers the bass they can not make and not be overpowering and just thumping.

Movies are never going to be the same with a sub, your going to love it.  

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Get a better source (CD, iPod, etc) for music and maybe think about getting an external amp to drive your mains. Your onkyo has preouts so you hook up an external amp for your mains. With a CD player hooked up and a quality amp, and only listening in stereo (just 2 speakers), I would highly doubt you could get the volume that high.

U dont know my crazy friends....

The main reason we turn it up is the levels on all youtube is different.. if it were good level 90 is good.

Thats why i got klipsch. In my limited research i did not know of any brand that would get so loud... other than pa grade... which does not meet WAF

I have a old jbl eon g2 that i use for outdoor backyard parties running at veey high volumes during summer.. it will give you some ideas on how high they like their music...

We live in canada so the parties are all outdoor may to oct and indoor for the rest of the year..

Edited by chetanh

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, chetanh said:

I have a old jbl eon g2 that i use for outdoor backyard parties running at veey high volumes during summer.. it will give you some ideas on how high they like their music...

We live in canada so the parties are all outdoor may to oct and indoor for the rest of the year..

You need to keep your eyes open for a pair of these, if you run across them your summer outdoor parties will never be the same.

LaScalas, they would be a good starter set for outdoors. :)

Klipsch LaScala.jpg

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, dtel said:

You need to keep your eyes open for a pair of these, if you run across them your summer outdoor parties will never be the same.

LaScalas, they would be a good starter set for outdoors. :)

Agreed.  Your friend's ears will give out LONG before the LaScalas do.

• Moderators

When everyone here gets together it's called Pilgrimage and once a year. One of the forum members (Kevin) brings his speakers, 4 stacks of these, they are called KP 600's. I know you can't tell from the pic but they are each over 6' tall, now that's an outdoor speaker ! 

speakers [.jpg

• Like 2

Tell your friends to keep their hands off the volume control!  Bass control, too -- that's another way to blow speakers.

Drinking too much can cause the volume to go up.  As a friend's landlord once said, meaningfully, "People like it loud when they get a snoot full."

I think you can get reference level (105 dB peaks through the RP250Fs) with about 50 watts with your speakers.   Using the subwoofer will help protect the other speakers if you are crossing over at 80 Hz or above.  All speakers should be set to small.  NEVER use LPF + Main, or "Double Bass."    If you have Audyssey, it will tell you where to crossover, given your speakers, room, and speaker location. 

• Like 3