Will i damage my speakers?

chetanh

• Moderators

I wish they were also, unless I was trying to sell some. :)

I did put together some yard/party speakers, there big but the yard is. :lol: I used all the parts from a LaScala top including the AA crossovers but a different bass bin, the MWM bins, works great for outdoors, good bass and can fill a big space. Built the top like a split LaScala and bass bins are factory but I have all the measurements to build those, I did DIY bass bins for our 2 ch setup inside.

Yard/garage speakers, they can be separated, one top with one bass bin, ready for a party ?:emotion-19: Very efficient almost any amp can fill a large area and sound really good. :lol: Your friends would love it.

mwm (28).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks

Reviving this topic. We are still not happpy with the loudness of the sound coming from the speakers (not quality but loudness. Quality is super awesome). 

Some of my sources are weak so i cranked up the intellivolume on the amp. It helped a little but not much.

I also limited the max volume to 92 to avoid speaker damage.

I got a hsu vtf2 mk5 sub and set it up as per manual.

I increased the gain for what audyssey had set by a couple of db. Aydyssey set it to like -12db or something. Again it helped but not much.

Do you think something like this to connect the speakers will help:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649322423-biamp-mca8150-8x150w-power-amplifier/

Or

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649439026-parasound-hca1000a-high-current-amplifier/

I am confused because i read that you need double power to inceease gain by 1db. 1db will hardly be noticeable right? 

Also will this damage speaker?

Another question is if i get this then how do you set the volume on the amp. I am guessing that volume needs to be set before running audussey.

Edited by chetanh

On 5/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, chetanh said:

Some of my sources are weak so i cranked up the intellivolume on the amp. It helped a little but not much.

The IVolume should be able to equalize the differences between sources.

I don't like the idea of increasing the IVolume by more than 3 db because it requires a lot more power from the amp.

I also limited the max volume to 92 to avoid speaker damage.

I've done that as well.  The Onk uses 82 as reference level.  A setting of 92 should normally blow your ears out.

I got a hsu vtf2 mk5 sub and set it up as per manual.

I increased the gain for what audyssey had set by a couple of db. Aydyssey set it to like -12db or something. Again it helped but not much.

The -12 is the amount Audyssey sets to the sub will be at 82 db at Reference level.  A lot of people think Audyssey sets the sub trim too low, so any fiddling you do I think of as adjusting to your personal tastes.  Remember if you can hear the sound coming out of the sub it is set too high.

Do you think something like this to connect the speakers will help:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649322423-biamp-mca8150-8x150w-power-amplifier/

Or

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649439026-parasound-hca1000a-high-current-amplifier/

I am confused because i read that you need double power to increase gain by 1db. 1db will hardly be noticeable right? 

You double the power to increase the SPL by 3 db.  You can hear a 3 db increase, a 1 db increase probably not.  Bi-amping the speakers will not make them play any louder.  I've bi-amped several speakers and I get a small amount of mid-range clarity, never more SPL.

A power amp is always helpful to the dynamics IMO. 

Also will this damage speaker?

Another question is if i get this then how do you set the volume on the amp. I am guessing that volume needs to be set before running audussey.

If your speakers are set to -12 by Audyssey that means they will play 82 db at Reference Level.  You might want to disable Audyssey and see if that will help your speakers play louder.  I did that with my Khorns which my Onk 717 had set to -12 and I liked the sound better, more dynamics IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:55 PM, dtel said:

You need to keep your eyes open for a pair of these, if you run across them your summer outdoor parties will never be the same.

LaScalas, they would be a good starter set for outdoors. :)

I just went back and re-read the entire thread.  Here is my take.

Dtel is right.  ^^^.  Your mains are using 5" woofers.  If you want more horespower get a bigger horse.  To get more SPL your best bet would be to get larger speakers which will push more air.  Something like the La Scalas would be just what the doctor ordered.

As I said I have an Onk 717 and it drives all my speakers as loud as I can stand it, usually not even close to 85 on the volume scale.  The Onk easily drives Khorns, La Scalas and my beloved CF-4's with its dual 12" woofers.

I recently added an Emotiva XPA-5 external amp (200 wpc vs 110 wpc on the Onk) using the 717 as a pre-amp.  It is MUCH stronger than the standard Onk 717, but the sound is good both ways.

Try bigger speakers first.  I think that will help get the bigger sound that you want.

Here is another option. Keep your Klipsch speakers for HT duty with the sub and if your budget is limited go and buy some cheaper PA speakers for when you have parties. Ideally, the Klipsch Pro line is going to be the best bet but they do tend to run a higher budget. That way you wont worry about frying your current system and when you are blasting music at parties you dont really worry about really high fidelity anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for your awesome replies. It looks like upgrading the front mains would be a better option.  The LaScalas and Khorns are too big for the room. Couldn't find CF-4's on the local forum. Any other models you recommend (used is better, i paid $550 for the almost brand new RP-250's)?

The intellivolume gain goes to 12 so it set it at 8, 3 seems low. Any comments?

To clarify. Audussey set the gains on the front to -12 and the main LR to -10 i decreased it to -10 and -8.. its not even close to going in the plus territory.. I cannot remember what it set the sub to.. will go home and check.

Is there anything that i can buy to improve the quality of the input?  The problematic inputs currently are my apple tv and a cheap android streaming box both connected using HDMI to the receiver

Edited by chetanh

13 minutes ago, chetanh said:

Is there anything that i can buy to improve the quality of the input?  The problematic inputs currently are my apple tv and a cheap android streaming box both connected using HDMI to the receiver

From what I have found your best bet for input quality is going to be a dedicated DAC and Spotify Premium service with 'High Quality Streaming' turned on. Good Budget DAC's include the Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 ($200), AudioQuestDragonFly ($100) or the Schiit Modi 2 ($150).

6 minutes ago, chetanh said:

How do the RF 82 compare the RP 250? They are bigger in size... will they deliver better SPL?

I would say it would be a good upgrade. Dual 8'' woofers can move much more air than 5'' woofers. The subs will help a lot too because that sub 80hz content is difficult for your speakers to reproduce and can be routed to the sub instead which means you can crank the volume up more without distortion.

10 hours ago, chetanh said:

The LaScalas and Khorns are too big for the room.

The Khorns tuck right into the corner (which they must have, unless you use portable artificial corners).  They interfere less with walking and dancing and what-have-you than many speakers.  My room is just about the same size as yours, and the Khorns seem to take up hardly any space.  La Scalas would stick out into the room more.

Canot find them used. Is it possible to diy these? I did a bit of searching but couldnt find a lot of info. The speakerlab website is gone. Should i try diy this or the jubilee. I am in no rush. Not much of a carpenter but my buddy is very good with wood. Any comments?

28 minutes ago, chetanh said:

Canot find them used. Is it possible to diy these? I did a bit of searching but couldnt find a lot of info. The speakerlab website is gone. Should i try diy this or the jubilee. I am in no rush. Not much of a carpenter but my buddy is very good with wood. Any comments?

The CF-4's are hard to find.  They were only produced for 3 years, more than 20 years ago. 

+++

I also have DIY speakers and subs.  Mine have great bang-for-the-buck in terms of sound.  They suffer compared to commercial products like Klipsch when it comes to support, warranty and resale value.

If you decide to DIY I highly recommend DIYSoundgroup.com.  I have the SEOS based Fusion 10 Pure, a horn driven design not unlike Klipsch.  Speaker kits are available with a flat pack meaning all you need is clamps and glue to put together a high quality enclosure.  Read the reviews.

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/

You can find support for DIYsoundgroup kits on AVSForum.com, in the DIY Speakers and Subs sub-forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/