Questions about Chorus II horn and K-61

mark1101

I have a pair of Chorus II midgranges, complete with drivers sitting around doing nothing. You looking for an experiment?

The Chorus II midrange driver has a phase plug built into the driver - it's separate from the horn which makes mating different drivers more complicated. The horn itself is a standard tractrix expansion (or so I've been told). It's starts with a round conical-looking throat that transitions into the rectangular mouth.

While looking for pics of the driver, I came across this thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169052-k-61-k-in-a-cornwall/

But here are some pictures of the diaphragm assembly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Factory-Speaker-Midrange-Horn-Driver-Diaphragm-K-59-K-K61-K-62-K-127120-/141219105169

I would probably go with a K-510 before the Chorus II midrange, but then I also understand there's a big price difference there too.

Wow.  I have vert corns.  It looks like the Chorus horns would go right in.

The question is what driver will I have to use?  Can I somehow get a K55 onto the back of it (preferred) or do I have to use the K61?

I am looking for an experiment I guess.  But it would be a permanent one to get a tractrix mid into my corns.

It does not look like I will easily find a pair of Fastracs which I assume would be very similar in sound to the Chorus horns.

What about these so-called driver adaptors?  Available????

What are the crossover frequencies of a Chorus vs. a cornwall?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cornwalls have a VERY live/forward sounding mid. Not a bad thing at all, but the tractrix seems to just tame it nicely without losing the presence. The word refined comes to mind. They seem to image sooner too.

As for the grilles, I CAREFULLY pushed my fingers along between the cloth and board (particle board in the 1’s, plastic in the 2’s) to separate them once I had penciled in the new opening. Millimeters at a time.

Too much too soon and you may damage the cloth.

NOTE : the plastic grilles are SHARP!

Once enough grille cloth had been separated I placed a flat piece of metal (in my case a metal ruler) between the cloth and board and scored the board with a utility knife until it was cut through. I have done three sets of grilles like this. Hence the caveats. Lol

I don’t know about the rest of you, but patience is truly a virtue that has it’s rewards when I exercise it. Take your time.

The real trick so far is getting those stinking badges off without leaving the glue behind. I am not about to risk damaging the cloth for the tiny bit of glue left behind. I think someone else on here had asked about it too. I don’t recall seeing a soultion.

As with the inside cuts to the grille boards, a black magic marker works to cover the glue too.

Below is the converted Cornwall 1’s in the master bedroom. 

I just recently bought another pair of K-61’s (actually K-62’s ... ?) off Ebay simply because the price was right and they will find a home.

89F622FD-5DA7-427A-A492-9FD37E50857E.jpeg

I appreciate the grill explanation.  I am lucky though because I have decorators.........so no grills to deal with.

I am mostly concerned about replacing the K55 with a K61 and if they sound similar and have the same sensitivity.  Will I have more or less midrange with that driver or will it be the same as with the K55.

The other concern is the crossover frequency and if the same networks I have will work.

I need to do more homework on the Chorus specs to see how close they match cornwalls.

The good news is that the horns and drivers are actually available.

17 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I have gotten the impression from some members here that the k55's are far superior to the k61,57,53 group

Hi, could you point to where that was said, and where you formed that impression?  Not trying to be difficult, just wondering where that came from is all....thanks.

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hi, could you point to where that was said, and where you formed that impression?  Not trying to be difficult, just wondering where that came from is all....thanks.

Sorry but I will plead the 5th :) if the member(s) want to share their opinion they can post them here. But would love to hear what others have to say about the k61k & family,  It has been expressed by some that the Quartet, forte and Chorus family are very low on the proverbial  totem pole when compared to the Heresy, Cornwall & above models. I for one like my forte II's very much BTW. 

Well my K61-K horns and drivers were delivered today.  I also bought selenium adaptors in hopes of re-using my K55s.  This was the original plan when I was looking for Fastracs.

If I am forced to use the K61 driver, I will more than likely need network adjustments or replacements and a matching tweeter.  I'd rather not go down that road.

All I wanted was tractrix mid horns in my corns.  I like everything else I have right now.

The horn itself was shaped to tightly fit the phase plug of the K61 driver.  It has a sharp taper at the throat. The throat also tapers to less than 1" in diameter.  It is all wrong to try and mount a K55.  The adaptor would definitely mount it............but it just wouldn't be right.

My direction now is to find a pair of K-79-K, K-792-ti, or K107ti tweeters, and modify my networks slightly.  I am simply going to have to use the K61 horn and driver combination as is and I figure the speaker would sound best if I used the matching tweeters..

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

My direction now is to find a pair of K-79-K, K-792-ti, or K107ti tweeters, and modify my networks slightly.  I am simply going to have to use the K61 horn and driver combination as is and I figure the speaker would sound best if I used the matching tweeters..

You may want to add the k-75-k to your search as they are identical to the k-79-k but without the ferrofluid and you could add if you wish.