K-77 Equivalent Drivers

Dave A

Looking futilely it seems for drivers that will fit the small space the K-77 fits into. I like the APT-50 I have used but read the specs are not "top drawer". The B&C DE120 is being phased out and the DE 110 which is the replacement I available but again I hear complaints that it is not as good as the 120. Past this there are darned few choices and the only other I can find is a Beyma CD1S which no one has veer mentioned.  I don't care whether it is threaded or bolt on but anyone have suggestions as long as it functions as a drop in replacement for the K-77?

At some point in time I wonder just how acute our ears are to hear subtle differences with these various drivers. Are there real audible differences or is it the spec charts that cause approval or disdain?

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

The B&C DE120 is being phased out and the DE 110 which is the replacement I available but again I hear complaints that it is not as good as the 120. 

The 120 is being phased out? I have a pair and they are easily the best I have ever heard better grab a few pairs before they are gone.

The Eminence APT 50 actually requires a bit of work fitting into the La Scala as it rubs against the top of the cabinet, a bit of grinding takes care of that and its really not a bad driver overall and you don't have to worry about frying it like the stock K-77 using a first order filter.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The 120 is being phased out? I have a pair and they are easily the best I have ever heard better grab a few pairs before they are gone.

So have you tried the 110's? The problem I have with grabbing a few pairs of 120's is that I am looking for something that people can reliably buy now and for some time to come  to go with the horns I am making. I need something more than a part being phased out.

33 minutes ago, jason str said:

The Eminence APT 50 actually requires a bit of work fitting into the La Scala as it rubs against the top of the cabinet, a bit of grinding takes care of that and its really not a bad driver overall and you don't have to worry about frying it like the stock K-77 using a first order filter.

I did not have any trouble at all fitting one inside an LSI. I'm with you on this as I thought the APT 50's sounded very nice compared to the stock K-77 and with the extra capacity just removed the Zeners from the circuit. .

2 minutes ago, BEC said:

The DE-120 is still in production and no plans to discontinue it according to B & C.  I received 50 of them today.

Bob Crites

That is good to hear but why do they say discontinued on their web site? Are you the one who cleaned out Parts Express ;D

My grinding comment above should have been explained better, you grind the cabinet a bit and not the driver itself.

The LSI may be a bit different, or just depends how the cutouts were laid out during construction just as every bass bin is just a bit off in measurement.

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

That is good to hear but why do they say discontinued on their web site? Are you the one who cleaned out Parts Express ;D

I don't know why it says that.  Their Sales and Operations Manager says they will stay in production as long as there are orders. 

4 minutes ago, jason str said:

My grinding comment above should have been explained better, you grind the cabinet a bit and not the driver itself.

The LSI may be a bit different, or just depends how the cutouts were laid out during construction just as every bass bin is just a bit off in measurement.

I think it is safe to say the speakers made before cnc routers certainly have variance at least in the tweeter cut out from what I have seen. 

11 hours ago, BEC said:

I don't know why it says that.  Their Sales and Operations Manager says they will stay in production as long as there are orders. 

Maybe it is their intent once orders drop below a certain point. It seems like the left hand does now know the right hand in this case. I went ahead and ordered eight today and more to come soon since I cant ignore the comments regarding their quality.

25 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The ct-125s I had, fit with no problem in my previous pair of LS ('89 walnut stain lacquer). Close, but they fit.

Bruce

I have only installed in one to date and the holes were clearly different sized with one requiring some sanding with my little belt sander to fit. Neither were a problem with top clearance.