Klipsch RF-7 III and Dual SVS SB-16 Ultra Audio Demo

Youthman

• Moderators

I finally had some time to put together an audio demo of the Klipsch RF-7 III with Dual SVS SB-16 Ultra Subwoofers. The RF-7 III are being powered by a Parasound Halo A52+ Amp. This setup sounds absolutely AMAZING!  I'm really curious how Dual SB-16 will compare to my (4) RSW-15's.  I've always wished the RSW-15's would dig a little deeper for home theater.  I guess time will tell.

Maybe tomorrow I can carve out some time to watch my first video with this setup. Hope you enjoy - https://youtu.be/GNTAr9X-8P4

Klipsch RF-7 III SVS SB-16 Ultra Subwoofer Audio Demo.jpg

• Like 3

Youthman:  I’ve not heard the RF-7III, so I appreciate your reviews.

I prefer tube amps with my RF-7II.

My basement 4.2 system can deliver a near-live-classical-concert-experience.  Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II.  A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7.   Subwoofers:  SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW.  These four tower speakers plus two subwoofers provide plenty of acoustical power in this average size listening room.  (I sit approximately 10 feet from the speakers.)  Collectively, they total four 1 ¾” titanium compression drivers mated to Tractrix horns, eight 10” woofers, one 15” powered subwoofer, and one 16” powered subwoofer.  (I recognize the RF-7II are small compared with Klipschorn and Jubilee, but the RF-7II (plus 16” subwoofers) are the largest speakers I can accommodate.)

Source:  Oppo UDP-205.   The Oppo UDP-205 provides "bass management" - i.e., a built-in crossover, and a connection for a powered subwoofer.   With Oppo's bass management, the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers, thereby facilitating greater overall dynamics.  

Here's the tube amps that I have in this system:  Scott 272 (EL34), Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (single-ended-pentode (SEP) power amp currently equipped with 6L6GC), Scott 222C (7189), McIntosh MX110Z tuner/preamp, Fisher KX-200 (7591), Scott 296 (6L6GC), Pilot SA-260 (EL34), Scott LK150 (KT88).   A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp(s) I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo, and a power amp to the MX110Z (if I choose to have a pre-amp in the audio chain).  

I love classical music, which involves natural instruments performing together live in their intended venue (i.e., symphony hall or opera house).   IME, the RF-7II are capable of reproducing this natural sound, when driven by the right tube amps.  I experience no listener fatigue when using the right tube amps with my RF-7II.    (IME, RF-7II can sound harsh with solid-state amps, and can sound bright with KT88 tube amps.)    Recently I’ve been watching/listening to surround-sound Blu-ray video recordings of classical concerts, and I find that RF-7II and two stereo tube amps (one for L&R, one for center and single rear) provide excellent audio quality.  

I wish I could hear the RF-7III driven by tube amps, playing hi-res recordings (SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, 24bit/192kHz FLAC) of classical music.    (I’m thinking about getting a single RF-7III for my mono system in my bedroom, mated to my 1950s era Fisher TA-500 tube receiver.)

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

Youthman:  I’ve not heard the RF-7III, so I appreciate your reviews.

Thanks Rick.  I have always enjoyed sharing my experiences with this community.  Now I'm able to share via video instead of just text.

36 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

I prefer tube amps with my RF-7II.

I haven't tried tubes yet.  I've heard great things though.  I guess I just wonder if I would get the same slam that I get from a Solid State 200 x 2 amp.

Wow, you certainly have put together a first class system!  My hats off to you. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, dross said:

I saw that the subs were at 0db

You weren't the first person to notice that.  LOL. 

My wife had to run some errands so I didn't have a chance to re-run Audyssey and wanted to get a quick listen while she was away since she doesn't like loud music.  The trim in my receiver was set at +3db and I just began to increase the volume until it sounded amazing without distortion.  That just happened to be at 0dB.  I thought the SB volume went up to around 10dB, but what I later discovered was that was the max volume.  Whoops.  LOL  Probably not a good idea as there is no headroom at max volume.  This week I will be re-running Audyssey with the sub volume set to -10dB (which is the default setting) to see where it sets the sub levels in the receiver.  I'm not sure what volume I had it set at.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:01 PM, Youthman said:

I finally had some time to put together an audio demo of the Klipsch RF-7 III with Dual SVS SB-16 Ultra Subwoofers. The RF-7 III are being powered by a Parasound Halo A52+ Amp. This setup sounds absolutely AMAZING!  I'm really curious how Dual SB-16 will compare to my (4) RSW-15's.  I've always wished the RSW-15's would dig a little deeper for home theater.  I guess time will tell.

Maybe tomorrow I can carve out some time to watch my first video with this setup. Hope you enjoy - https://youtu.be/GNTAr9X-8P4

Klipsch RF-7 III SVS SB-16 Ultra Subwoofer Audio Demo.jpg

I'd love to hear your/that system playing some classic era Jazz if that's possible, like "Something Else", or even something "new" like "Love Scenes"

Nice!

Thanks for the video

Craig