My first Klipsch Center!

Aguero90

I agree. There's a chip and dent listing on Ebay right now, they have over 10 280fs for $319 each!! Amazing price, but I don't have $638 now either... I put some more baseball stuff up for sale, maybe I'll get lucky?! I want the RP280s for sure. Right I'm just using 440c with out mains, no movie watching until I get the towers! :) btw,

Here's what I did for now.. I had a unused $400 bestbuy card. I bought the dual 8 inch Icon kf28s! I figure if for some reason I don't like how they pair with the 440c, I'll sell these down the road and just get the rp280fs. It was a giftcard someone gave me, so you can't beat free!! And at this point, 2 klipsch towers, although from a different line, is better than having nothing! :)

• Like 1

Guys, the system sounds amazing with the icon kf28s!!! First time I turned on amazon music, and put on John Williams Across The Stars theme from Star Wars episode 2, I was shocked at how awesome it sounded, felt like I was sitting with the whole London crew live. Next I tried some movies in 5.1, wo! I was afraid it wouldn't match well with 440c, but it has surpassed my expectations!

• Like 1

On 04/29/2018 at 8:42 PM, Ceptorman said:

Since you already have the RP440c, I would get the RP series towers, like the 280 or 260. They will blend seamlessly.

You know what's weird? The more I listen to the 440c, the more I wish I had gotten the 450c! I don't know if it's the smaller drivers or not, but every movie I play, voices come out with this "little scrachy screaching." When I put it on 2 channel and play through the towers, voices sound amazingly better! At first I figured the 440c needed breaking in, but after about a month, still sounds the same. What do you think?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aguero90 said:

I don't know if it's the smaller drivers or not, but every movie I play, voices come out with this "little scrachy screaching." When I put it on 2 channel and play through the towers, voices sound amazingly better! At first I figured the 440c needed breaking in, but after about a month, still sounds the same. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I have not heard the 440 nor the 450.  I do own an RC-64.

I would trust your ears.  The fact the KF-28's sound markedly better then the 440 tells me there is probably nothing wrong with signal chain in the rest of the system; source is good, cables are good, AVR is good.

You can tune the center somewhat with the controls built into your AVR.  In some cases that is Audyssey, if not there might be an electronic Equalizer built into the AVR.    If you can get to the EQ you might try turning down the HF's, maybe boost the middle, see what sounds best to your ears.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I would trust your ears.  The fact the KF-28's sound markedly better then the 440 tells me there is probably nothing wrong with signal chain in the rest of the system; source is good, cables are good, AVR is good.

You can tune the center somewhat with the controls built into your AVR.  In some cases that is Audyssey, if not there might be an electronic Equalizer built into the AVR.    If you can get to the EQ you might try turning down the HF's, maybe boost the middle, see what sounds best to your ears.

Check this out, I think I fixed it!! I turned the system treble from 0 to -5!! Also in tode, for some reason, my bass was at +10, put that to 0. Maybe it was the treble?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aguero90 said:

Check this out, I think I fixed it!! I turned the system treble from 0 to -5!! Also in tode, for some reason, my bass was at +10, put that to 0. Maybe it was the treble?

Good job of fine tuning.  Since you had a center that was harsh or thin on the top end, it stands to reason having treble too hot was a likely culprit. 

When I got my first modern AVR in 2014 I spent literally months tinkering with it and trying to dial in my speakers and I had Audyssey which got things really good to start with.  I knew I was done messing with the settings when I finally stopped listening, tweak, listening, tweak, etc etc.  I'm now pretty happy with the sound.

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I heard the rc62 for a day, but had to go with rp because of hight, and even on the first day, the 62 sounded better than the 440c. No iisues with scrachy voices. I played tons of different movies, and it just doesn't sound right. I think it is the 4 inch drivers. I just put my av in 2.1.2 settup, and it sounds better that when it's on 5.1 with 440c! I would return it, but it's past the 30 days on the ebay I think. I'm going to get the 450c as soon as I can fund it. Ma=e I should sell the 440c?

11 minutes ago, Aguero90 said:

I'm going to get the 450c as soon as I can fund it. Ma=e I should sell the 440c?

Given your conclusions on the sound of the 440 it sounds as if you would like the sound better of the 450.  Sell the 440 to offset the cost of your new center.  If you could find an RC-64 (I, II or III) on the used market I think that would be a step up again from the 450.

I have the original RC-64 and it is crystal clear.  In general I like speakers with 6-7" woofers for dialog out of a center speaker.

Others will likely disagree with  mixing RP-x speakers with the Reference series because of what they will call "timbre matching" and that's OK.  My opinion is you should get the best center speaker you can find for the same $$$.  I don't worry about timbre matching because the Center and the L/R don't play the same content.  The center speaker usually handles 90% of vocals/dialog and in movies 90% of the sound is dialog.

Mine is the minority opinion, timbre matching is the majority opinion.  Go with what you think would sound best to your ears in your living room, with your speakers and your amp.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Given your conclusions on the sound of the 440 it sounds as if you would like the sound better of the 450.  Sell the 440 to offset the cost of your new center.  If you could find an RC-64 (I, II or III) on the used market I think that would be a step up again from the 450.

I have the original RC-64 and it is crystal clear.  In general I like speakers with 6-7" woofers for dialog out of a center speaker.

Others will likely disagree with  mixing RP-x speakers with the Reference series because of what they will call "timbre matching" and that's OK.  My opinion is you should get the best center speaker you can find for the same $$$.  I don't worry about timbre matching because the Center and the L/R don't play the same content.  The center speaker usually handles 90% of vocals/dialog and in movies 90% of the sound is dialog.

Mine is the minority opinion, timbre matching is the majority opinion.  Go with what you think would sound best to your ears in your living room, with your speakers and your amp.

I agree with you 100%! I'm using the kf28s with the rp, and everything sounds great accept for the voices. My issue with rc64 or even 62 is the hight, so I think they're out. unless the original 64 is less than 8 inches high.. what do you think of this, either get the rp450c, or go with the matching kc25 center, I think both have 5.25 drivers, rp has 4 instead of 2. Now I just hope noone through out my rp440c box... :)

47 minutes ago, Aguero90 said:

My issue with rc64 or even 62 is the height, so I think they're out. unless the original 64 is less than 8 inches high..

In your honor I just went in the living room and measured the original RC-64.  Because of your requirements I had to measure twice just to make sure, but the height is 8 inches, exactly.

Edit:  The RC-64 II is also 8" tall according to the cut sheet.

http://images.klipsch.com/RC64IIcutsheet_635042122193340000.pdf

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

In your honor I just went in the living room and measured the original RC-64.  Because of your requirements I had to measure twice just to make sure, but the height is 8 inches, exactly.

Edit:  The RC-64 II is also 8" tall according to the cut sheet.

http://images.klipsch.com/RC64IIcutsheet_635042122193340000.pdf

You're awesome!! I had a feeling.. the 62 II was 8 inchs as well, and didn't fit, but sounded night and day better than the 440c! What would you do if you were in my place, 450c or kc25, unless there's an older model you know of with bigger drivers and hight below 8! I know for sure 6.81 (450c) will fit, because my av is 6.81! The kc25 is 7.25 I think, which scares me a bit..

14 minutes ago, Aguero90 said:

You're awesome!! I had a feeling.. the 62 II was 8 inches as well, and didn't fit, but sounded night and day better than the 440c! What would you do if you were in my place, 450c or kc25, unless there's an older model you know of with bigger drivers and height below 8! I know for sure 6.81 (450c) will fit, because my av is 6.81! The kc25 is 7.25 I think, which scares me a bit..

Bigger is better so the 450 would be my choice.  I haven't heard either one so take that with a grain of salt.

Can you post a pic of your L/C/R?  Maybe a picture can shed some light on your dilemma.

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Bigger is better so the 450 would be my choice.  I haven't heard either one so take that with a grain of salt.

Can you post a pic of your L/C/R?  Maybe a picture can shed some light on your dilemma.

Can'j do a pic, no one is home to take it, price of being visually impaired! I have the Inovex 83 inch tv stand, with center on shelf below 80 inch tv, kf28 towers on either side of stand, which is awesome spacing I think! Another thought I had, tell me what you think, since I heard rc62 and loved it, and you've got the rc64 which is amazing I'm sure, what about the rc52? That would fit!!