Favorite childhood toys?

codewritinfool

First bike was Schwinn, then a Schwinn 10 speed Varsity, then a Honda Moped, then an RM 250 Suzuki. Used to love the Mighty Mike Jeeps and trucks when I was a real little fella. Grandpa had a huge 4 lane track in his whole basement for the big slot cars. We lived on a 1,250 acre farm and one barn was separated in the middle of the hay loft and the tractor parked in the middle. We had forts made out of straw bales with tunnels running all over both sides and neighborhood kids would come over and we would have BB gun wars in there. The big barn had a full court basketball court up in the Hay Mow. I won the Hot Wheels Championship for the state of Ohio in 1971, and got to go to Saginaw, Michigan and be on TV to race for the Nationals.  :D

13 minutes ago, jwc said:

Mattel Football

Mr Professor 

Sun Magic magazines and all the goodies I ordered.

JC

I had both the Mattel Football and the Coleco Football versions. My brother had a really neat larger baseball game where one kid would bat, and the other had a separate small box on a cord and could throw different pitches. Also had Coleco Pong, I think it was the very first one, and of course Atari  :D

Rog

Almost forgot about my Erector Set.  I think it is called Meccano for those across the pond.  I built everything I could think of with it.

il_570xN.396711842_b2b5.jpg

(best photo I could find online, not real good though, sorry)

Also, my 150-in-1 electronic kit from Radio Shack.  I spent hours and hours with both of those things.

773052449_f4378e0250_z.jpg

• Like 1

About the time I was in kindergarten or maybe just before the homes across the street from my home started to be removed to build the 91 FWY in California, it made for a great huge field and playground growing up. I rode my minibike on the freeway both as dirt and as the finished freeway before it was opened for use.  The freeway opened for use when I was in the 7th grade.

17 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

First bike was Schwinn, then a Schwinn 10 speed Varsity, then a Honda Moped, then an RM 250 Suzuki. Used to love the Mighty Mike Jeeps and trucks when I was a real little fella. Grandpa had a huge 4 lane track in his whole basement for the big slot cars. We lived on a 1,250 acre farm and one barn was separated in the middle of the hay loft and the tractor parked in the middle. We had forts made out of straw bales with tunnels running all over both sides and neighborhood kids would come over and we would have BB gun wars in there. The big barn had a full court basketball court up in the Hay Mow. I won the Hot Wheels Championship for the state of Ohio in 1971, and got to go to Saginaw, Michigan and be on TV to race for the Nationals.  :D

Now the real question - what color was the Varsity? Mine was that bright electric  green - Gawd it was beautiful. Got it by selling an "English racer" three speed to a neighbor kid that I won in a contest for selling the most subscriptions of a little local newspaper. 

As I recall those first Varsitys' came in - purple, electric blue, electric green and maybe red? But it may been just the first three. 

31 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

JC

I had both the Mattel Football and the Coleco Football versions. My brother had a really neat larger baseball game where one kid would bat, and the other had a separate small box on a cord and could throw different pitches. Also had Coleco Pong, I think it was the very first one, and of course Atari  :D

Rog

I still have the Mattel baseball.

I also have the Colecovision.  

Still have Mr Professor and Merlin And Simon

My Dad sold my Honda 185s 3 wheeler about 8 years go.  It would still run.  Thing was tuff.

• Thanks 1

I had 2 Schwinn Varsity 10 speeds the first was bright yellow, it was stolen as I was riding home from work, a summer job at a auto body shop in the summer between 7th & 8th grade I was pushed off the bike at a traffic signal and mugged for it by several kids. One pushed me off the bike and ran with it around a corner to an alley where about five more of his friends were. My second Varsity was a metallic root beer brown.    

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That and the Benjamin were the two most powerful at the time.

My friend had a Benjamin and it was the Roll Royce of pellet guns and about three times the price as the already "expensive" Crossman 760.

Bill

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rich_Guy said:

I had 2 Schwinn Varsity 10 speeds the first was bright yellow, it was stolen as I was riding home from work, a summer job at a auto body shop in the summer between 7th & 8th grade I was pushed off the bike at a traffic signal and mugged for it by several kids. One pushed me off the bike and ran with it around a corner to an alley where about five more of his friends were. My second Varsity was a metallic root beer brown.    

WOW....that's brutal. 

My Dad owned a construction company, all my toys were hammers, nails, saws, etc. I did build quite a few awesome tree houses, one had a bathroom (pipe through the floor into a funnel) screened windows.

My friend had a Benjamin and it was the Roll Royce of pellet guns and about three times the price as the already "expensive" Crossman 760.

Bill
I still have a Benjamin and the pellets have gone up quite a bit over the years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

WOW....that's brutal. 

My Dad owned a construction company, all my toys were hammers, nails, saws, etc. I did build quite a few awesome tree houses, one had a bathroom (pipe through the floor into a funnel) screened windows.

--- damn. I'd hate to be on the ground  looking up ---?!?

• Haha 1

Toys in my childhood? Have to think about that.
Our fun

Grandfather would take one or two of us back to town from the ranch with him on Friday and return Monday early for school (he was building barb wire fences in the area). Whoever went watched TV and remembered the commercials. That kid pantomimed the commercial and we had to guess the product.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

--- damn. I'd hate to be on the ground  looking up ---?!?

It had a 20' length piece of galvanized steel pipe that reached the ground and into a hole with gravel in it....my own septic system :D

A solid transaction meant going to the house, or the bushes!

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think my favorite toy was a go cart my dad made for me, I would work for my parents to get 35 cents to get a gallon of gas. Now that I think about it, it was pretty smart of them, they got some work out of me this way. :emotion-55:

I thought it was cool, my dad did aircraft repair and he used a bow tie shaped steering wheel from a Cessna for the go cart.