Favorite childhood toys?

codewritinfool

7 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

My favorite toy was the Marx Shooting Gallery. Had to be the noisiest indoor toy I ever had - Internet picture.

18E966A7-C761-4665-8019-7B06A9F5C632.jpeg

I was given a MrMachine. It was one that was made to disassemble. My dad never helped me put it back together. I know why....   Ding ding ding ding SQUAAAAAAAAK. Ding sing ding ding SQUAAAAAK

My sisters found a slightly newer one and bought it for me, recently. The kid calls it "Grandpa's Robot".

• Like 2

Wow...  I've forgotten many of these!

Schwinn Bicycle (neighborhood favorite) it was green with banana seat

Schwinn Unicycle (twice the fun as two wheels!)

Estes Model rockets (preferred those with D engines)  Always wanted to build the Saturn V since I was so enamored with space flight at the time.

Various models (I generally sucked at building models, got the glue everywhere and couldn't paint for crap)

Glider that Schu shows, plus the propeller version

Crossman pump.  We (stupidly) played find & shoot in the woods behind the houses.  Those with pump guns were only allowed a single pump.

Merlin (ala JC)  (why does it not surprise me he had a Mr. Professor!!)

Erector set, Lincoln logs (preferred the Erector set)

Yamaha 60 cc "street/trail"  (hahahahahahaha)  Still...it got into my blood and later had a Yamaha YZ-465 and a 1983 Maico 490

Probably the most favorite thing I had growing up and can still utilize those skills today......  a pool table!  everyone in the neighborhood came to play.  Even on school days, a couple buddies would get to my house 60/90 minutes before having to leave (walk) to school so we could get some games in.

Roger, I understand what you're saying about those tunnels.  My Dad's cousin (in Bluffton, last name Carr) had a farm and when we'd come to visit, we'd go traipsing up into and then through the bails of hay.  My biggest laugh there was doing the flinging.  My guess is it was a manure spreader where you could regulate how far it would fling.  It might not have been that, I never really knew...I was a city kid.  I just enjoyed that time on the tractor with those doing it and got a laugh at how it would fling stuff.

• Like 2

In no particular order...

Mattel ThingMaker

Mattel Vac-U-Form

German made "steam shovel" with hand-cranked boom and lift

German made wind-up truck with a real transmission and electric lights and horn

Wooden boats with electric motors. Some of these were so old they used iron horseshoe magnets.

Lincoln Logs

"Baking soda" submarines

Rubber-band balsa planes

Gilbert chemistry set 

Any camera I could get my hands on-a Box Brownie from 1910, a Kodak InstaMatic with Flashcubes, my bro's 35 mm Vivitar, our dad's Polaroid...

• Like 1

My combination rocket ship and movie projector made out of an orange crate with clothes line "reels" [big pulleys] and with a little scooped out place in the wood to contain rocket fuel which was made by crushing my grandfather's Carter's Little Liver Pills, dissolving the mash in water, and pouring it into the scooped out well.   I felt so guilty about stealing my grandfather's medication that I confessed to my mother, saying, "I took some of Grandpa's pills."  The ensuing panic reminded me that "took" has multiple meanings.

• Like 1

Tie a bunch of plastic bags together lengthwise and light 'me off -- we used to call them "screamin' yellow zonkers'. Best to do this outdoors as they produce quite the odor in say, a basement. Not that I would have ever tried that -- 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Probably my favorite toy Ive ever received was a used Montesa 125 dirt bike for my 10th birthday. Until my 15 year old brother and his friends decided to take it off some nice jumps and destroy it :o

Indoors was Legos (anything similar), GI Joes, TMNT action figures, hot wheels

Outdoors was Hot wheels, Tonka trucks, sand, dirt or anything I could dig in.

As I became a teen, bikes, bikes and more bikes, I usually had 3-4 complete bikes plus enough parts to build 1 or 2.  My friends and I were always looking for a place to go race.  When they weren't around I was crashing while attempting do any freestyle stuff (never really accomplished any tricks) but I truly enjoyed it.