Holy week

KROCK

13 hours ago, Analog Junkie said:

As an atheist, I find it amazing how religious people believe in their different rituals. Not trying to offend anyone, just observing

There are different levels and, if you will, gestalts of these experiences.  Openness to experience, including numinous, ineffable experience, is one of the (several) things meant by the words in the ancient languages that we translate into the English word "Faith."

We are thought to acquire our beliefs through rationalism, empiricism (and its subset, science), intuition, faith and authority. 

Gilbert has the following quote in his signature.  It turns out that it may or may not have been said by Einstein, but we know he praised intuition several times.

"The Intuitive Mind Is A Sacred Gift, And The Rational Mind A Faithful Servant. We Have Created A Society That Honors The Servant And Has Forgotten The Gift."

--Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

There are different levels and, if you will, gestalts of these experiences.  Openness to experience, including numinous, ineffable experience, is one of the (several) things meant by the words in the ancient languages that we translate into the English word "Faith."

We are thought to acquire our beliefs through rationalism, empiricism (and its subset, science), intuition, faith and authority. 

Gilbert has the following quote in his signature.  It turns out that it may or may not have been said by Einstein, but we know he praised intuition several times.

"The Intuitive Mind Is A Sacred Gift, And The Rational Mind A Faithful Servant. We Have Created A Society That Honors The Servant And Has Forgotten The Gift."

--Albert Einstein

Intuition can lead to opposing views.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
5 hours ago, garyrc said:

--Albert Einstein

I like Easter because all of the chicks dress up and look so nice.:) That said, it has always intrigued me how parents share the story of Jesus's resurrection and rabbits laying eggs to their children and how it affects them growing up...

On 4/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Analog Junkie said:

As an atheist, I find it amazing how religious people believe in their different rituals. Not trying to offend anyone, just observing

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

10 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I agree.  So can the other ways, including empiricism,  "A scientist should be the last one to be surprised by contradictions in the data."  {I can't recall who said that, maybe someone out there does).

Holding seemingly contradictory ideas in the mind can be fruitful, IMO

“I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic.”
Abigail Adams

Sometimes the thesis and the antithesis can be analyzed (broken apart into their component parts), and the parts synthesized into a new form, using some of the parts of each opposing view.

Carlo Rovelli, a theoretical physicist, lists the things he thinks science is about.  One of them is "trying to learn to look a little bit beyond, knowing that there’s always a larger point of view to be expected in the future".   See "Science is not about Certainty" by Rovelli, in the New Republic.  https://newrepublic.com/article/118655/theoretical-phyisicist-explains-why-science-not-about-certainty

• Like 1