4K Video - Xbox One X vs Oppo 203

Fenderplayer

I just finished watching The Last Jedi on 4k via the Xbox One X.  The clarity of the images looked good but the color did not seem to "POP" much to me.  I have watched a few other movies that have had a more impressive color pallet.

My question if for anyone that has a Oppo 4K player and an Xbox One X.  Is there a significant improvement in the video quality between the two.  I thought the Xbox would be a stop gap measure to migrate into the 4K video world and enjoy a few games (like my first venture into blu-ray with the original Sony PS3).

I currently have an Oppo 103 that does 4k up conversion of most blu rays and I have been really happy with it so I haven't been in a rush to spend the money for another player if I can make the X Box work.  I figured I might get a new version of the Oppo player maybe later this year....if the video presentation is worth it.  I sure hate to sideline my 103.

Thanks for you feedback.

I currently use my Oppo 105 for standard HD 1080P BD's with my Samsung 9500 65" 4K TV and the clarity/color is fantastic, popping like crazy.  The rare times I have used my son's XBox One S for 4K BD's the picture quality has been great also.

I say for now continue using your 103 for 1080P BD's and read up and experiment more with the XBox One X for 4K HDR.

Bill

what monitor are you using OP?

if your monitor is HDR or dolby vision capable, and you have multiple HDMI inputs, you may be hooked into one of the lower specification HDMI slots... some monitor only offer one or two premium performance HDMI slots in the monitor even though there may be 4 or more slots.

I have an Oppo 203 and Xbox One X.

Personally, the Oppo 203 is far better than the Xbox One X.  The 203 also supports Dolby Vision. 

However the display you use also makes a big difference, I have a 65" LG B7 and PQ is very important to me.  However, I also think the difference between a good UHD vs a blu-ray is night and day where for some people it isn't.  If you're using a projector, the 203 may not be worth it.

The Oppo 203 is a fantastic dedicated UHD player for home theater enthusiasts.  I'm getting a lot of use out of it and I'm just as satisfied as I was with my 103D.
The Xbox One X is a fantastic console though, amazingly comparable to a gaming PC with a GTX 1080.

LG OLED65B7P | AVR-X6300H | 7.1.4 - Klipsch RF 7II, RC-64II, RS-62II, RP 260f, 4x CDT-5800-CII, JTR Cap 1400 | OPPO 203 | XB1X | PS4 Pro | PC (i7-6700K, 1080)

Edited by MassiveG

I have a 1 1/2 year old Sony X930D.  I have found some additional settings in the xbox that allow to designate the output as 4K through HDMI.  There is also a setting a allow for automatic detection of the output signal.  I have to get in a dig around some more.  The xbox is also going in a Yamaha 1060 receiver and then one single connection to the TV.  I guess I could rewire to run to the TV and ARC to the receiver.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Oppo 203 but with the news about Oppo shutting down production I am afraid the needed firmware updates to support the player will not be lasting too long.  I may go with a cheaper Sony 4K player for half the price and use my Oppo 103 for the bulk of my watching with blu ray and dvd discs.

Sometime when I turn the xbox on the whole screen display is about 1/4 of the size of the entire display....like it shrank to a 18" size.  I have to completely unplug the xbox and restart it and then the video goes back to filling up the entire 65" screen.

I have about had enough of all the HDMI issues.  It's becoming more pain then it's worth.  Never had constant problems with this when things were analog.  It would be nice if the engineering side of the equipment would get things to function perfectly instead of rushing to build new features and then spending years to get it to work at the consumers expense.

Edited by Fenderplayer
missing test

You shouldn't be having any issues with HDMI, I have never experienced anything like what you're talking about. I'm assuming you have your tv settings correct as well. And assume you're using the HDMI cable that came with the console? How often does the screen display at 1/4 of the display? Maybe run it directly to your tv, and see if you can reproduce the same issues. Have you enabled enhanced hdmi on the tv input you're using?

Here are my Xbox One X settings.

From Settings/Display & Sound/Video Output:

Display

Resolution: 4k UHD

Advanced

Video Modes:

Allow 4k, and Allow HDR both checked

Advanced

Video fidelity & overscan: 

Display:

Connection: Auto-detect (Recommended)

Video fidelity:

Color Depth

30 bits per pixel (10-bit)

Color Space

Standard (Recommended)

I experimented with the settings to no avail.  My xbox indicates my display is not UHD capable (I know it is) even with the HDMI hooked directly to the TV.  The numerous setting configurations on the Xbox is complete overload and just too dam difficult to figure out.  How is the average consumer supposed to know how many bits the video should be.  This is absurd.

I may try a Sony 800 series 4k player to see if the picture quality is any better and return it if there is not an improvement.

All I can say for sure right now is that I am unimpressed with 4K video quality on my system as it is.  I will not be buying any more discs since they don't appear to be significantly better than the upgraded 4k conversion that my oppo 103 does the blu rays I have.

I bought the Xbox one x strictly with the intent of  using the 4k video player in addition to the console.  At this point I wish I had kept my old xbox and went with a separate player.  Too many headaches.

The reason your XBOX is showing on your TV at 1/4 size is because your XBOX is only outputting 1080p to your UHD TV.  When you get full screen it's because your TV is upscaling the 1080p image, hence why it doesn't look any better.  I would check all your HDMI cables first, make sure they aren't old damaged.   If your XBOX doesn't recognize the TV as UHD then I'd contact Microsoft support and see if they can help.  

I switched the cable last night and the xbox did recognize the TV as UHD and display the screen the proper size.  I tried out The Last Jedi as a demo and the opening scenes still looked a bit grey / washed out on the dark black of space.

So I decided to get off the fence and bought a Oppo 203 before they were gone.  Got the last one available at my local Best Buy.  I have hooked it up very quickly and updated the firmware.  Initial test shows a much improved picture.  Definitely more like I was expecting UHD.  The colors are much better and the tv recognized the signal as UHD even running through my receiver.  The picture quality looked much like OLED...which I very much like.

Will try out some other discs and DVDs this weekend as well as digging into the setting on the Oppo.

Thanks to all for you advise and help.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 1:59 PM, Fenderplayer said:

I switched the cable last night and the xbox did recognize the TV as UHD and display the screen the proper size.  I tried out The Last Jedi as a demo and the opening scenes still looked a bit grey / washed out on the dark black of space.

So I decided to get off the fence and bought a Oppo 203 before they were gone.  Got the last one available at my local Best Buy.  I have hooked it up very quickly and updated the firmware.  Initial test shows a much improved picture.  Definitely more like I was expecting UHD.  The colors are much better and the tv recognized the signal as UHD even running through my receiver.  The picture quality looked much like OLED...which I very much like.

Will try out some other discs and DVDs this weekend as well as digging into the setting on the Oppo.

Thanks to all for you advise and help.

I have heard this as well. The XBone is average for a 4k player but nearly as good as a dedicated player. Also, if you are using an Xbox make sure to set the audio to bitstream out. The default is to have the xbox process the audio and it can only do Dolby 5.1.

• 2 years later...