Marantz PM7004 being capricious

donpachi

Hello Klipsch Community, following situation:

I have two channel integrated amp Marantz PM7004 powering RF 62IIs in a stereo setup. I noticed yesterday that the right channel started playing at a considerably lower volume than the left one. First I thought maybe I was imagining things so I swapped cables, and also tested with a Denon receiver - both confirmed my initial observation. To make things more interesting after several hours of playing music the amp returned to normal and the right channel was again producing the correct volume. Today the situation is repeating itself: considerably lower volume after switching on the system. I'm assuming the amp is going bad. Could anything be done? Is this something that happens every now and then with integrated amps?

Cheers.

Sorry about your wishy washy Marantz.  Possible cold sodder cracked, loose connection of some sort maybe.  Not anything that is necessarily an integrated amp problem.  If you really like the amp, check on Marantz site to see where nearest authorized repair center is and give them a call.  Often times you take or send it in and they will provide a detailed estimate of repair cost.  Usually a non refundable diagnostic fee(+/- $75.00) will be assessed and applied to overall cost if you decide to let them do the work.  If not, they keep the fee and send you back the amp.

Do you have someone local that could take a look?

Bill

• Like 2

I have the PM6006 and I lost the left channel a few months ago. Mine is still under warranty so I sent it for repair. I got it back in a week or so and it works perfectly. Unfortunately they didn’t tell my dealer exactly what was wrong. I would send it to Marantz for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

Sounds like cold solder to me, although it could be a crack in solder right at the input connector. If you wiggle the input connector does it change anything?

I will try that in the morning, at the moment both channels playing correctly. The problem seems to appear only after the amp is off for several hours/overnight and then disappears after being on for some time (getting warm? no idea).

3 hours ago, donpachi said:

In the meantime I've ordered brand new Cambridge Audio CXA 60....got a little impatient :D

Let us know how you like it(or not) when you get it up and running.  I am very pleased with the sound of my older Cambridge Audio 640A v2 integrated.

Bill

2 hours ago, richieb said:

If I knew what "capricious" meant I might be able to help - you're over my pay grade, sorry. 

It's a salad with tomatoes and mozzarella.  You're welcome, I figured someone should educate you.  He was saying that his electronics are acting cheesy.

4 hours ago, donpachi said:

I will try that in the morning, at the moment both channels playing correctly. The problem seems to appear only after the amp is off for several hours/overnight and then disappears after being on for some time (getting warm? no idea).

You could leave it on :D

If an amp (or integrated) is misbehaving I'd recommend immediately removing it from your system and getting it fixed.  I had a B&K amp behave in a similar way.  I thought I'd ignore it until the problem became more consistent then one day "poof!!" a loud pop, a small ball of flame and smoke.  Thankfully, the amp didn't damage my Vandersteens nor the B&K Pro-10MC preamp upstream.  I sent it to B&K and was told it was basically irrepairable.  ..I'm pretty sure had I sent it in before it blew, it would have been. 

• Like 1