Bass dead zone R-28F

New Klipsch client here and first "hi-fi" system in about 30 years.  I have a basement room that is 24W x 21.5D x 8H.  It is concrete slab floor.  My R-28F's are seven feet away and about seven feet apart, right now.  I've moved them wider apart, closer, next to the wall, away from the wall and still having a problem with bass.  I know they aren't sub replacements. I have an SB16 on the list for future purchase when the wife is away.  However, these things are producing some nice bass just not delivering them to me in the right spot.

Sitting down in the listening positioning, there is very little bass.  When I stand about half way all the way through to full stand it sounds INCREDIBLE.  I can't figure this out.  My couch is standard height, even a little higher than most actually. If I move further away it's still the same effect.  I've toed the speakers in and out with no change in bass.

23 minutes ago, Digital Sniper said:

I'm pretty new to the audiophile scene.  Is this a real thing? http://www.klipsch.com/blog/how-and-why-to-break-in-your-new-speakers

I've been listening all day and they sound better now than when I posted my question.  I can still hear more bass when I stand up, but it's a bit muddy and overpowering.

Yes it is. Basically as the moving parts in the speaker "loosen up " the sound will " tighten up ". Give it a week or so and you'll most likely notice the bass is more tight/punchy and less muddy.

Edited by RadBlue

Kinda.  Woofers can take a few hours to loosen, the squawkers and tweeters vibrate so fast 2 million cycles come pretty quick. 

You have a room issue, not a speaker or subwoofer issue.  Since 24' is an integer multiple of 8', you  can expect the strongest resonance and nulls to occur at multiples of 8', and especially 24' since it is the point of 2 nulls/resonances (aka standing waves).  The frequency of 24 feet is 47 Hz, or about low Gb on a bass.  8' is 141 Hz, or about the second Db on a bass.  Putting the speakers against the front wall and sitting 7 feet away (almost 8') must put you one foot shy of a null (cancellation).  Try putting the speakers on adjacent walls 6' out from the corner and the electronics in the corner.  Sit 10 - 11 feet away.  Avoid multiples of 8'.  Experiment until you find a sweet spot. 

On 4/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, Digital Sniper said:

New Klipsch client here and first "hi-fi" system in about 30 years.  I have a basement room that is 24W x 21.5D x 8H.  It is concrete slab floor.  My R-28F's are seven feet away and about seven feet apart, right now.  I've moved them wider apart, closer, next to the wall, away from the wall and still having a problem with bass.  I know they aren't sub replacements. I have an SB16 on the list for future purchase when the wife is away.  However, these things are producing some nice bass just not delivering them to me in the right spot.

Sitting down in the listening positioning, there is very little bass.  When I stand about half way all the way through to full stand it sounds INCREDIBLE.  I can't figure this out.  My couch is standard height, even a little higher than most actually. If I move further away it's still the same effect.  I've toed the speakers in and out with no change in bass.

You have something set up WRONG. It could be speaker hook up connection.

Make sure the bars in the rear of the speakers are making full contact at the top and bottom.

If a bar is not---BASS will not be present.

Forget all that break in stuff---you need to double check wiring.

Sounds like peaks and nulls to me.  Getting the placement right... both speakers and your seat can be tricky.  Sometimes your choices are limited by furniture or family... you just have to do the best you can.  

I highly recommend some reading to help you get your room right.  It is as important as choosing your speakers.

James knows his stuff!  Get his book and DVD's here: http://getbettersound.com/index.php

Thanks for the replies.  I was afraid my sitting position is not optimal.  Unfortunately, I can't move it because there are a series of support columns in my basement which prevent me from moving my couch back.  I guess I'll have to move the speaker farther down the wall towards the corners because I have about 10 more feet to play with.  Only down side is the wiring I bought will be obsolete! lol

22 hours ago, Digital Sniper said:

Thanks for the replies.  I was afraid my sitting position is not optimal.  Unfortunately, I can't move it because there are a series of support columns in my basement which prevent me from moving my couch back.  I guess I'll have to move the speaker farther down the wall towards the corners because I have about 10 more feet to play with.  Only down side is the wiring I bought will be obsolete! lol

You can try but the many times if it's a room issue, the seating area needs to be moved.  Let us know if moving the speakers helps.