Oppo Hanging up Their Hat

Rivernuggets

8 minutes ago, Schu said:

Albeit for more than $12...

Depends on how nice you want, sure you can spend lots more which is something I prefer to do, but you can also get inexpensive learning remotes which start at less than $12.

I might have used my 4 oppo remotes less than 10 times over the last 12 years or so. If I need to dig dig in a menu I use it otherwise it's the mom-mobile Harmony; I don't need calls at work about "I can't turn Netficks on". Dear, just push Mom and then select what you want to do..........

On 4/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, Mallette said:

I thought highly of them at first. They priced themselves out of the market. 

Dave

But the mags are full of tests of extremely expensive equipment!  That market always seemed ever smaller and more ephemeral, based on an increasingly limited extremely high income segment made smaller by increasing extremes in income equality.  Stratospherically priced amps and speakers will not a healthy industry make, since hi-fi brick and mortar places are closing up and cheapening themselves right and left. Perhaps streaming is the only way for poorer and poorer middle class folks to get music and maybe good sound.  I think we are seeing the depressing end result of more and more extreme income inequality.  More tax cuts for the rich, and more cuts to middle class support and investment, anyone? 

Oppo may be a most shocking result of these trends.

BTW, I got my 205 a few months ago, and just got an upgraded Basis 'table and tonearm, so I'm doing my part I guess.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Max2 said:

Seeing companies like this going away just tells me the younger crowd is losing its sophistication for Convenience and disposable products, oh and obviously losing on IQ as well.  

Fwiw, I am of the older generation and after careful research decided to buy Sony Blu-ray players because they were a better bang for the buck. I've purchased 3 in the last 4 years for less than a single Oppo and all three are still working flawlessly. YMMV. 

10 hours ago, LarryC said:

I think we are seeing the depressing end result of more and more extreme income inequality.  More tax cuts for the rich, and more cuts to middle class support and investment, anyone? 

I agree with the political sentiment in the first paragraph but not the last sentence in the quote above....Like I said in an earlier post, the market is changing and I experience 4K moves along with excellent multichannel music on the Sony X-800 and can't believe it can get much better. With the advance of technology you don't have to spend as much money as in yesteryear to get as comparable quality as the 'rich guys in components...On that note, speakers seem to hold their value while electronics are getting cheaper. 

You know, maybe it's as simple as the owners had made enough money, they were tired of dealing with the manufacturing headaches and just felt it was time to hang it up.  Maybe has absolutely nothing to do with cultural changes, politics, etc, etc, etc, that you all seem to know so much about.  Who cares why?  It is what it is.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:
11 hours ago, LarryC said:

I think we are seeing the depressing end result of more and more extreme income inequality.  More tax cuts for the rich, and more cuts to middle class support and investment, anyone? 

I agree with the political sentiment in the first paragraph but not the last sentence in the quote above....Like I said in an earlier post, the market is changing and I experience 4K moves along with excellent multichannel music on the Sony X-800 and can't believe it can get much better. With the advance of technology you don't have to spend as much money as in yesteryear to get as comparable quality as the 'rich guys in components...On that note, speakers seem to hold their value while electronics are getting cheaper. 

It most certainly can't be income inequality.  The poor have just decided it's better to spend $800 on a cell phone than a CD player.  I love music, but frankly, I'd have to agree.  CD's are dying.  Flash might be on its way out, too.  Every generation has its throw-backs, but eventually, they die off.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LarryC said:

Stratospherically priced amps and speakers will not a healthy industry make, since hi-fi brick and mortar places are closing up and cheapening themselves right and left.

One can build a better system now for 500.00 than ever before...but NOT from these places! I can put a system together for that or less from Parts Express ALONE that will run circles around that same money even a decade ago. Oppo players at 350.00 or so were truly audiophile and well worth the money. The later ones are incrementally better but exponentially higher. No reason not to have these in their line, but they should have kept their Impala along with their Cadillac.  

Dave

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I am of the older generation and after careful research decided to buy Sony Blu-ray players because they were a better bang for the buck. I've purchased 3 in the last 4 years for less than a single Oppo and all three are still working flawlessly. YMMV. 

This is still running too.   You want it in your driveway?

Image result for yugo

• Haha 1