Oppo Hanging up Their Hat

Rivernuggets

51 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I ordered a 205 but something went wonky with the order and then a sell out so I ordered a 203. Searching for a UHD / 4K TV to replace my 65" Sharp 1080P. Yo... @MetropolisLakeOutfitters I need something around 70ish.

I have Sony now.  B)  

21 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

Also Panasonic has what looks like a very nice flagship blu-ray player that they may soon bring to the US market,  the Panasonic UB9000 .

Very cool. Most all Panasonic electronics I've purchased in the past have had a long life and performed flawlessly.

• Like 2

I'm especially sorry to see this, because the 205 had a number of areas that could have used improvement.  Most new products go through this, and one can expect, or at least hope for, product refinements over time.  Two examples in the 205 are:

• The panel readout lighting is too dim (most competitors' readouts can be read clearly from across the room)
  • There should be a graphical readout of the volume setting on DVDs
  • There should be a direct response to the "VOL" changes, instead of the obscure + and - buttons on top

There is something to be said for the practice of "planned obsolescence" in the form of gradual improvements, IMO

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
OPPO UDP-205
Ultra HD

Error - Limit 1 per customer. These last OPPO UDP-205's need a good home and a loving owner so we thank you for your understanding.

OPPO UDP-205 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I registered to be notified - why have I not received an e-mail allowing me to buy a UDP-205?

The notification e-mail will come from WebApp@oppodigital.com and are sent based on when you registered to validated e-mail addresses. We are sending e-mails in waves for a smoother ordering and fulfillment experience.

2. I did not register to be notified but I am still interested in buying a UDP-205. How can I buy one?

We are giving priority to those who have already registered via special e-mail links. If there are any inventory remaining after those who have registered, the UDP-205 will be made available publicly.

3. How can I buy more than 1 UDP-205?

Due to limited supply and strong demand, we are limiting sales to 1 per customer/household. Thank you for your understanding.

4. I received the notification e-mail to buy a UDP-205 but my special link has already expired. Can I still buy one?

To be fair to others who have registered, we must give them a chance to order a UDP-205 during their window of opportunity. If there are any inventory remaining, the UDP-205 will be made available publicly.

I just received a email, and placed my order for a new UDP-205. I was one of the lucky ones to have signed up early for late releases. This will be the last run. I don't know how many are available, but my window of opportunity was 3 days or good bye forever. I confirmed the order 2 hours after I received the email. PS. I asked for some more OPPO swag via email, so hopefully that can happen again this time, unfortunately the guys who answered the phones before no longer have a job at OPPO.

OPPO UDP-205 Interest List
Ultra HD

We will have a very limited number of OPPO UDP-205 players available beginning in late August, 2018*.

OPPO UDP-205 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Thank you all for your support. Due to increasingly limited quantities and overwhelming demand, we are no longer accepting email sign-ups for the UDP-205 Interest List. We are still on track to receive our next shipments in late August and mid-September, and we will begin to notify customers on the Interest List as soon as we have the players in stock.

August 27, 2018 We have begun sending out e-mails inviting registered customers to purchase am OPPO UDP-205. As we have already begun winding down our business, we have limited fulfillment capacity. E-mails are being sent out in daily batches to throttle the amount of orders to fulfill. This page will be updated when we have sold out of the OPPO UDP-205.

* - Projected. Actual availability date tentative and subject to changes.

Notice: This information will be used only for the purpose of keeping you up to date on the UDP-205's availability. Retail end users only.

• Moderators

It seems like Oppo priced itself right out of the popular sweet spot as far a pricing goes. It's not that they have "special" parts that demand the much higher prices, there are others with just as good performance, they just don't say Oppo or demand those prices. The reputation is what kept them going as long as it did plus great customer service. imo

• Like 1

• Moderators

Very nice, I always wanted one but never could justify the cost, they are good no doubt but far from where they started with pricing . I am sure quality and performance  improved along the way also but the price jumped, deservedly , I don't know how each compares.

Either way they are very nice and the best thing they had going for them was great customer service, this is in most cases worth a higher price. Part of the reason it aggravates me so much that Klipsch is very lacking in that department, we tried to get that word to them (from our personal experience) and nothing ever changed, it's all that is missing from being an exceptional company,and i really hope that changes.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Don Richard said:

I  have one of the earlier OPPOs, a DV-980H, for audio use only. It will play just about any audio disc I put in it and the audio quality is on a par with players costing much more ...

I think there's the rub. You can find cheaper players to do the same thing with the advent of HDMI. . 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I think there's the rub. You can find cheaper players to do the same thing with the advent of HDMI. . 

Totally agree, though I certainly have no idea what HDMI has to do with it as I hear nothing from it that is any better than any other method of sending a signal. When they first came out, Oppo was the best build and sound at the price...but they got greedy. Anybody who has been around for a while has seen it with a variety of companies and products. 

Dave

On 4/12/2018 at 12:30 PM, Don Richard said:

I have one of the earlier OPPOs, a DV-980H, for audio use only.

Don; agree. Use one of those in my 2-way setup and am very pleased with the audio quality. (Thought it was better than the BDP-103D.) Also using an even older 971 model in my vintage stereo console (modified with Klipsh horns and woofers :D ).

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Totally agree, though I certainly have no idea what HDMI has to do with it as I hear nothing from it that is any better than any other method of sending a signal. When they first came out, Oppo was the best build and sound at the price...but they got greedy. Anybody who has been around for a while has seen it with a variety of companies and products. 

Dave

Dave,

I think he meant that with HDMI, whether with an Oppo or a cheap BD player,  you send an "untouched" digital bitstream to an AVR/pre-pro and let it do the decoding or D/A conversion and pretty much identical signals reach your speakers.  

As far as Oppo getting greedy, I really don't buy into that because build quality has improved substantially from the flagship DV-983H universal player to the "current" UDP-205.  As a matter of fact, going from the DV-983H to Oppo's first BD/universal player BDP-83 was a huge jump in build quality which also resulted in a bump in price, $399.00 to $499.00.

Bill

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, willland said:

I think he meant that with HDMI, whether with an Oppo or a cheap BD player,  you send an "untouched" digital bitstream to an AVR/pre-pro and let it do the decoding or D/A conversion and pretty much identical signals reach your speakers.  

Why any different than optical or coax? And, if you use the Oppo on board DAC, simple line out. Digital signals are either transported intact or not at all.  Bits don't have qualitative differences...either on or off, there or not. If I recall correctly, the first Oppo I purchased was 375.00...more than I usually paid but it was a universal (no BluRay at the time, of course, but everything else) and I felt it worth it. Frankly, I wouldn't spend much more now as construction costs have remained the same or gone down. I use PC based transports for all my digital audio and video and outboard stuff for the rest. For a stand alone unit to be competitive it needs to be competitive, and I think the record shows that Oppo was not in the end. A cost conscious person is not going to spend 800.00 or more for something that neither sounds nor looks any better than a few hundred dollars in separates that do multiple duties. JMHO...YMMV. 

Dave