Oppo Hanging up Their Hat

Rivernuggets

11 minutes ago, willland said:

Possibly for movies bitstreaming lossless codecs Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and letting AVR or pre/pro decode signal.

Out of my league on that. I am about audio. The best video I've ever seen wouldn't fool my cat. All flat as a pancake and I don't spend a lot of money on it. Quite happy with a 600.00 Epson projector...and all Heritage surround system with horn loaded sub. The audio fools my cat...

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mallette said:

Out of my league on that. I am about audio. The best video I've ever seen wouldn't fool my cat. All flat as a pancake and I don't spend a lot of money on it. Quite happy with a 600.00 Epson projector.

Dave, bitstreaming these codecs is audio, movies and concerts on blu-ray.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

Okies. I think we are sort of talking past each other. My point was I don't really care whether it's SCSI, SATA, coax, HDMI or whatever that carries my data as long as it gets there in one piece.

Dave

• Like 1

As has been suggested I sent Oppo an email asking them to check for my 205 request. They responded that they had the address on file but it was incorrect. Perhaps I made the mistake since my work and personal email addresses are different by only my middle initial being included in my work address. (yes, the @xxx is different).  Oppo said that they would fix that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mallette said:
5 hours ago, willland said:

Okies. I think we are sort of talking past each other. My point was I don't really care whether it's SCSI, SATA, coax, HDMI or whatever that carries my data as long as it gets there in one piece.

Dave

And willland's point is if you want to get the best out of movies HDMI is the only way to go. Btw, I too care about audio and only have listened to multichannel over the last decade and I like using one HDMI input compared to 6 RCA cables and can't tell the difference in sound--Another benefit is that my AVR also lets me matrix this material into our "9.2" Home Theater. 

11 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Because HDMI is the norm and carries the newer codex, as well as high-rez audio that optical and coax does not.

I believe that if you're doing 2 channel you can get the same result from HDMI and optical.  Multi channel is a different story, yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mallette said:
8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Multi channel is a different story, yes.

Never said otherwise. I used HDMI for video. Just don't care one way or the other when it's audio which is my main concern. 

Dave

For Hi-rez multichannel audio HDMI is the way to go. Insofar as buying an oppo for 2 channel music I admit it seems money could be better spent.

On Sep 16, 2018, at 7:27 PM, OPPO Service <service@oppodigital.com> wrote:
Michael,

You signed up for the interest list first using the E-mail address me@an email address. This E-mail address will likely receive an invitation to purchase a player in the next batch of E-mails that we send out.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

That is an incorrect address and a mix of my work and personal address. This is the correct one.

Sent from my iPad

Michael,

We will see about changing the E-mail address in the queue so that the proper E-mail address is used for a future purchase communication with you.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Just got a reply from OPPO...   " I've looked up your email address and to be honest, the player is not likely going to be available to you for purchase.  The amount of people that is ahead of you (about 500) in the queue far exceeds the number of units we have left"   They are getting near the end....

On 9/19/2018 at 6:38 AM, USNRET said:

Disappointing but nice of them to take the time to look and respond.

They responded to me as well, although they would not disclose the total # of units released for sale at the last and final shipment, they did tell me the last 2 shipments were being filled at a more than 50% conversion rate. Last few days now. I will have mine Thursday.

2 hours ago, dtel said:

It's a wonder someone wouldn't pick up making that unit and continue ? 

No real market for the reason mentioned. Fwiw, I think folks are picking these last ones up for sentimental reasons and oppo had some loyal supporters. Heck, I was looking for upper end Denons when I found the Sony I was happy with (and gave me the same performance). :) {Note: No where near the apparent build quality but so far all of my Sony players still work.}