Need advice - Major house damage - need new system..

Escher

Hi folks,

Well - A drunk driver crashed through my living room and killed my home theater setup (RF3's, Rc3 and Rs3's)...  My insurance company will replace the system, but obviously, since these were vintage, there is no perfect equivalent.  They said they will pay for "Current like make and model" of speakers... so - What would that be?  I assume R28F, 25C and 14s?  (I didn't have a sub)

A couple pics attached for the morbidly curious.. :P Thank God everyone was okay...  We are going to be out of the house for over two months as its condemned and has structural damage.

My vintage Heresy's were up off the floor in the den and were unscathed thank God....  Lots of water damage as the car took out the bathroom, livingroom and kitchen.

- Chris

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_0839.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Looks like a little dusting, sweeping and rearranging and it will be fine.:o

Lucky no one was hurt, could have been much worse if 4-5 people were watching a movie.

Offer Rf 7lll's as a replacement, can't hurt, you could always settle for a little less, ask anyway.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dtel said:

Offer Rf 7lll's as a replacement, can't hurt, you could always settle for a little less, ask anyway.

I think the RF-5's were the replacements for the RF-3's.  Anything with two 8 inch drivers and a horn could be considered it's replacement I would think.

• Like 1

Holy mother of Toledo!  Thank the good Lord everyone was ok!  That definitely took out some space.  About the most I've ever had hit by a drunk driver house related was my brick mailbox about 12 years ago when I lived in Denton, TX.  It was on the south end of the lot and he knocked bricks into my neighbors yard on the other side of me.  Wow....just wow.  Some people...

• Like 1

I'm sorry to read that. To answer your question, you would be looking at the Reference Premier line for a current match for what you had. You could try to the RF-7 III with an RC-64 III which would be awesome. But I doubt they would go that route. For the reference premier, you would be looking at RP-280F for your fronts, RP-450C for your center, and RP-250S for your surround speakers, or lower versions of these. Good luck and keep us up to date.

• Like 1

Thanks folks - yeah - its insane.  We were incredibly lucky.  The guy was arrested after fleeing the scene.  He had a BAC of 0.18, so over the top for Michigan (0.17 is considered "Super Drunk" here)... He's gonna have a bad time of it, especially after my insurance folks get ahold of him.

I've been out of the scene regarding Klipsch's theater line since I got these a few years back, so I wasn't even aware of the Reference Premiere line.  I'll send the info along to my adjuster.  Thank you all!

Sorry this happened and glad that all are OK. My suggestion is to contact a Klipsch dealer @MetropolisLakeOutfitters comes to mind and get a written statement from them about current replacement models and costs. Explain to Corey what took place and he might be able to provide some paperwork for the insurance folks.

Question for the lawyer folk: if I spend X$ in 1980 for new and then in 2018 that X$ is equal to XXX$ (inflation) do I get that to spend for replacement? Depends on policy but in general if I have coverage for replacement cost?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

Sorry this happened and glad that all are OK. My suggestion is to contact a Klipsch dealer @MetropolisLakeOutfitters comes to mind and get a written statement from them about current replacement models and costs. Explain to Corey what took place and he might be able to provide some paperwork for the insurance folks.

Question for the lawyer folk: if I spend X$ in 1980 for new and then in 2018 that X$ is equal to XXX$ (inflation) do I get that to spend for replacement? Depends on policy but in general if I have coverage for replacement cost?

Thanks!  I just sent him a message... I'll keep everyone updated as to how things progress...

9 minutes ago, stevemc4444 said:

Ya that may be fine structurally, [which is most important] but it makes a mess as you've experienced. Hope all goes well, you'll be alright.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Ohhhh its not fine structurally.... :P

Its condemned currently - Main structural beam front to back on the side is split clean in two.  House shifted 3-4 inches off the foundation on that side.  Its a quad level, so the other half of the house is fine... just some stress cracks in the drywall upstairs that need to be repaired.

Next week they tear the bad half down to studs and start shoring things up.

Just now, Davis said:

Have a structural engineer evaluate this and not just n adjuster, architect or contractor.

Already did....Waiting on the report... Thanks!  Allstate has their act together on this.  We've been very impressed so far.