Revox CD player advice

TFR1

I bought a B-225 Revox CD player new in the 1980's. It preformed perfectly for many years. After a move in 2005, I packed it away.

Now with my revived interest in quality sound, I decided to plug it into my "new" system. It works but it sounds terrible. 

I have found a supplier in Europe that will sell me all the caps. Problem is that it would be a 'fools errand' for me to attempt this repair.

Can anyone suggest a technician that might be able to service this type of gear? I have done a good bit of internet searching without results.

jerry

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Anyone ever used something like this?  Personally, I have not, but I would think this might be a logical first step since it's been stored for a while, could use a good cleaning.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-190048-Cd-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B000001OM5

I had never heard of such a thing. It probably couldn't hurt(let's hope) Yea dirt gets everywhere, rust never sleeps... etc...etc...:)

I do appreciate all the good suggestions.

I have no fear taking apart a Vincent Motorcycle, but circuit boards and electronic components are things that seem to leak smoke every time I work on them.

I have never developed a skill set that includes a way to get the smoke back in.

DeOxit is a good start, but I have only used it on rotary switches. A cleaning disc probably can't hurt either.

Buying a new one is easier yet. 

Jerry

s-l640.jpg

• Haha 1

it hard to get that magic smoke back in. To add insult to injury, it stinks, too.

if it has surface mount, there isn't much you can do with/to them. 

that being said

if you are looking for someone to make sure it's broken ... I will be glad

• Sad 1

I'm just funnin' with ya TFR1.

If it's good unit, a tech's help and fingers might be worthwhile.

you don't say where you are located. I did a quick search for stereo repair in Tucson and came up with some leads. I did not inquire about your specific unit.

• Like 1

@WillyBob

My Great Grandfather was a blacksmith in rural Iowa in the 1890's. Didn't have reliable electricity service until WW2.

I have always used that as the reason I'm more comfortable swinging a big hammer to solve problems and am so baffled by how electricity works.

It is easier being in the dark.(figuratively and metaphorically)

Jerry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

we keep kerosene lanterns. And have a woodstove. Our electricity is much more reliable than 20 years ago. But it still goes out for a day at a time... just because the wind blew 100 miles away

I made my first trip to your part of the world in 1969. My uncle was in the Air Force at Davis Monthan AFB. He arranged for me to spend the day at an ICBM missile silo in the desert not to far from you.

You live where it's a long way to anywhere.

• Like 1

Found a service manual online @ hifi engine. Damn them German(Swiss?) engineers are thorough, you could replicate a new unit with their documents! If you could get the parts that is:)

Looks like WillyBob's got you a good lead. Just tell them you want all the electrolytics in the power supply and signal path changed and see what they say. Tell'em you'll even get them the parts kit from overseas if need be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

did ya try these guys?

http://www.wizardelectronics.com/

@WillyBob

Wizard Electronics will take a look at it for me.

They made me laugh by asking if I had a "sentimental attachment" to the player. They said it might be more expensive to fix than to replace.

Thanks all for getting me started in the right direction.

Jerry

• Like 1