R-28PF program settings

Gurba

2 hours ago, Gurba said:

The speakers play bass really well in the 50hz region and I would like to cross them over at around 40hz when I buy a subwoofer. But if it can't be done it can't be done.

There are probably two crossovers involved.  You can (must) leave the upper internal crossover alone (1,700 Hz), and crossover to the sub at a deeper bass crossover.  There is a RCA line level output to go to a subwoofer on your powered speakers, but I don't know if it just allows the sub to blend with the powered speakers, or uses a low pass filter to send only bass (e.g. below 80 Hz or below 40 Hz, etc.) to the sub or uses a true crossover to the sub.   You could always phone or email Klipsch.

Some subs have a selection of LPFs on them.

Someone else here may have a workaround for you, and/or may recommend a sub that is versatile enough to allow you to bring it in at 40 Hz.

The Klipsch powered full range speakers are relatively new, so many of us will be rather ignorant of their details.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gurba said:

The R-28PFs have a sub output  with optional 80hz x-over. It would be cool with an adjustable x-over since the speakers have decent bass but I guess x-over at 80hz is better than no x-over. 🙂

I agree.  80 Hz is a very common x-over point.  I believe it is what THX recommends, providing the main speakers are good down to 80 Hz.  Klipsch must think they are.  Even with your x-over at 80 Hz, your R-28PFs will continue to respond below that point.  I could be wrong, but I think it would be 12 dB down at 40 Hz.

• Thanks 1