Rotary Subwoofer?

DizRotus

From the limited articles I have read, they are supposed to be the lowest “hitting” style subwoofers available.

Hopefully one of these smart fellows has some experience with them. This could turn into a fun thread, if they do!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K5SS said:

From the limited articles I have read, they are supposed to be the lowest “hitting” style subwoofers available.

Hopefully one of these smart fellows has some experience with them. This could turn into a fun thread, if they do!

I hope so too.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/eminent-technology-trw-17-rotary-subwoofer

2ABB95AD-43C6-4EDC-BB44-53738F1A7F9A.jpeg

DC0B532B-BF06-49B5-A956-2ED937836DBB.jpeg

Still no one posting with actual experience.  If no users, has anyone here at least seen/heard/felt one in action?

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You still need a conventional sub as I believe they're only good up to 20 hz.  They also need to be integrated into the listening area like an IB.

I’m aware of the IB-like similarities, but I’d Failed to note a 20Hz upper limit.  

Has anyone experienced them at Table Rock House on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls?

58 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If no users, has anyone here at least seen/heard/felt one in action?

From his post above, it appears that Tom does.

The main reason there's not much exposure to these subs is that they're incredibly expensive.  When you factor in the cost with the fact that there's not really much content in their usable range they become less than desirable.

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

From his post above, it appears that Tom does.

The main reason there's not much exposure to these subs is that they're incredibly expensive.  When you factor in the cost with the fact that there's not really much content in their usable range they become less than desirable.

Carl, 

Tom’s, @Quiet_Hollow, response is ambiguous.  Is he stating that he is someone “here” with personal experience with rotary subwoofers, or, is he indicating that he knows, or believes, that someone “here” has personal experience?

If the former, elaboration would be appreciated.  If the latter, then we’ve yet to hear from someone with actual experience.

If a forum member has experienced the Niagra’s Fury exhibit at Table Rock House in Niagara Falls, Ontario,  Canada, I’d like a report.  If not, perhaps someone close by will visit the place and report back.

• Moderators

Yes, my daughter had something similar, it was called a Saturn Vue by Chevrolet I think. At 60+ mph, roll down only one rear window and the bass was so deep and loud it was painful, a pulsing bass, it actually hurt.

Sorry but still very close in function and effect.

• Moderators

Originally I guess but in the end it seemed like no one wanted them and they were bought by someone, I read something like that ? I don't know
 really, but it seems like it's going to live forever, 320,000 miles and burns no oil, my daughter didn't want it so we use it and the jeep. Funny thing is there is not a dent on it, it's mostly plastic body panels, wasn't crazy about that but for being a 2007 metal would have had some kind of ding. I'm over cars, if it gets me where I want I'm good.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I think they call that helicoptering.  Most vehicles will do that now days.

Well that sucks, we have that car now and when it's cool I like to put a window down but not the one on the side of me because the wind noise is aggregating. And if you don't put them down just right it's unbearable bass.

• Like 1

• Moderators

How does this sub compare to a normal sub as far as price goes and mostly so0und quality ? Is it just for movies or can it do music also ? Not that I want one just wondering. 

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

How does this sub compare to a normal sub as far as price goes and mostly so0und quality ? Is it just for movies or can it do music also ? Not that I want one just wondering. 

How much to rock the house this hard? The TRW-17 itself goes for $12,900, and the motor controller adds another $350. Eminent Technology also sells an amp and crossover for $700. Then there's the design and installation of the manifold and backwave chambers, which is typically $8000 to $12,000, bringing the grand total to somewhere between $22,000 and $26,000. But nothing re-creates earthquakes and rocket launches like true infrasonics, and nothing else on the market can get anywhere close to those frequencies, making this the only game in town for those who really want to get down.

Copied from the first link above

interesting

they adapted that from aerospace.  Helicopter tech. That is a variable pitch rotor.. With the new electronics in an R/C helicopter, you don't need any mechanical stabilization. Some tweaking to the electronics and some very purposeful material changes.  ....... ingenious