Rotary Subwoofer?

DizRotus

17 hours ago, DizRotus said:

If the former, elaboration would be appreciated.

No problem Neil.

A while ago I made a point to visit this gentleman's house a couple times for a "listen":

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1301446-rotary-woofer.html

Thing is, a person does not simply "listen" to that kind of SPL at the those frequencies. It's more of a "ride" for lack of better words.B) The TRW is without compare in the 30 Hz and below range. Above that, as Carl mentioned, there are complementary options. It is an install item, so you must have a house at your disposal to equip with the beast.

All the "real world" LF performance you could think of. A team of horses running through the room. Cake. Truly authentic thunder? As in the kind that pops every 2x4 joint in the house all at once and scares the neighbor's dogs? Done. BA-BOOM! Simulate a quarry blasting that day? No sweat KA-----BOOM! Goofy stuff like the recreating the inside sound of car with the windows down at 80? Yup, that too, until everyone gets a headache and wants to puke.

Then there's parlor tricks like sucking the air in and out of the room at 0.3 Hz to randomly close and open doors in the house. Needle drops can rearrange the floor joists. A total exercise in caution. Fun stuff....but spendy mind you.

If I had the place and the coin, I'd totally get one.

• Thanks 1

So, it’s a good thing the bass boomy vans at the intersections can’t use them. 

If they only work below 30 Hz, they’re probably not needed for most music.  A traditional sub would probably still be needed for ~ 25 Hz to ~ 80 Hz.  Did you listen to any music with TRW engaged?

Sounds like Dave @Mallette and churches, could use them for the lowest pipe organ notes, but mere mortals would be better off investing the funds elsewhere.

Thank you @Quiet_Hollow for the detailed description of the interesting experience.  That’s exactly what I was hoping to learn.  I’m still interested in a review of the Niagra’s Fury exhibit at Table Rock House.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:22 AM, DizRotus said:

If they only work below 30 Hz, they’re probably not needed for most music.  A traditional sub would probably still be needed for ~ 25 Hz to ~ 80 Hz.  Did you listen to any music with TRW engaged?

Yes, just a little bit. Of all things, Bob was/is really into choral music. Unless there was a part with a pipe organ accompaniment, the device was never called upon. Regular pop tunes sounded great (whatever I brought with me at the time), but more so by way of his custom designed room and kick-*** planar arrangement than simply the addition of a subwoofer fit for the gods. Naturally, movie soundtracks and specialty recordings are what truly flexed its muscle.

Regardless of the apparent novelty, the sound/experience was very hi-fi. It was tuned spot-on and performance was seamless. Bob's install was by the book, and top notch in every way. I really had to struggle to hear the fan idling from the listening position when it was engaged. The build quality of the fan device by Bruce and the amplifier by Phil at Marchand will last a lifetime.

I visited there twice, and both times left laughing at the absurdity of its power. Log sweeps were a real eye opener. I'm talking about settling the neighbor's foundation here. I am surprised his room hasn't been reduced to a pile of rubble yet...it can get that crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2018 at 1:26 AM, Quiet_Hollow said:

ll the "real world" LF performance you could think of. A team of horses running through the room. Cake. Truly authentic thunder? As in the kind that pops every 2x4 joint in the house all at once and scares the neighbor's dogs? Done. BA-BOOM! Simulate a quarry blasting that day? No sweat KA-----BOOM! Goofy stuff like the recreating the inside sound of car with the windows down at 80? Yup, that too, until everyone gets a headache and wants to puke.

Then there's parlor tricks like sucking the air in and out of the room at 0.3 Hz to randomly close and open doors in the house. Needle drops can rearrange the floor joists. A total exercise in caution. Fun stuff....but spendy mind you.

I believe that you can play nasty tricks on unsuspecting guests by playing ULF sine waves (maybe 4-8 Hz?) and disrupting their digestive processes. They can't hear anything, but they can feel something. (That would be wrong, however.)

A rotary sub was one of Tom Danley's first projects. I bought the motor for it, but got no further.

Very interesting :D  A (very good) DIYourselver can probably build one for less than $500. (No; think it's beyond my skills :( Just build kevlar panel speakers.) 

Motor, woofer and a model scale helicopter rotary assembly :D  See (pretty boring) video which explains a lot ...