ANOTHER HERESY REDO PROJECT IN ROSEWOOD VENEER

Redoing some 1982 model Heresy speakers I got from Rockhound.    Sanded off the Duratex paint using 60 grit ROS.  Trimmed off the front extended trim, install neo magnets in motorboard and veneered the front and attached new trim with rosewood veneer on the inside edges to match the motorboard.  About to start veneering all sides then top then applying veneer to the front extended trim.  Installing new Crites Sonicap caps, made new 1/4" masonite grill frames with neo magnets and will use brown woven grills like I did on the last Heresy redo using carpathian elm burl.  May add some front to back bracing and will probably add 1/4" ply or mdf to back 1/2" panel to reduce resonance (cutting our a hole for the K52H driver space.

Will post as I progress.

IMG_3151.JPG

Beautiful! I did have a question that you will probably know the answer to. For Veneering the plywood on Heresy's do you need to balance veneer the panels or are they thick enough to not have to worry about warping? I actually just lost out on a $100 set of Industrial Heresy's on craigslist that I was thinking about doing a Veneer job on. :( Something else will pop up soon enough though.

Thanks for the compliments guys.  Twk123 I think the panels are thick enough that balance veneer isn't necessary.  There already is birch veneer on the interior portions of the panels.  There should not be any creeping of the veneer because the HeatLock glue dries hard unlike Titebond 2 that remains flexible.  I've never had any problem with this method.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Beautiful. Wanted to do this in walnut for my entire Chorus II front sides and back but wasn’t so sure how it would look. Though a lot more costly due to size, maybe I can veneer the Normal sides and tops and edgeband and save up to do the front at a later date or I was thinking about keeping them oak and repair the chips and broken veneer and that way I’d only need enough oak to do the front and backs and then ebonize the entire thing.

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Update, all veneer work is done and I'm recapping the crossover with Sonicap caps and installing front to rear bracing.  Finished building the slanted risers yesterday.  Waiting for shipment of dewaxed shellac to use as sealing coat on this oily Rosewood.

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

Looks fantastic, I have been wanting to do something similar with my set.However too many other projects at the moment.

I have a cousin in North Little Rock that I visit often, and family in Brinkley also, Now I have to find a different airline to fly with after the Allegiant piece on sixty minutes.

I'm curious about the bracing.  The back is removable correct?  Will you eventually screw the back to the brace?  Did you consider a window pane type brace?  It would give more support in the middle.  Will you brace the sides?

Cabinets are beautiful by the way.

• Like 1