ANOTHER HERESY REDO PROJECT IN ROSEWOOD VENEER

4 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

It is not "metal" near the woofers that is the issue, it is IRON or STEEL....because they are (or can become) magnetic.  The original grilles used aluminum for the grill material...non-magnetic. I had a "curious" cat, So I had the "industrial motor-boards" installed on my "flame twins" while I still worked at Klipsch.

Flame twins at Rodneys Place 2016.jpg

Fantastic work there!  Those are absolutely beautiful.

Only ferrous metals have to be kept as far from the drivers as possible.  And don't even think of wearing a mechanical watch while working on speakers.  I learned the hard way... Luckily enough, a cheap de-magnetizer from eBay usually takes care of these issues.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, twk123 said:

I had an idea for the grills and front Veneer. When I did the restoration on my HIP I noticed there is actually a plywood spacer/motorboard that sandwiches the grill against the inside of the motorboard and the driver mounts to that. Here is a photo of it outside the cab. The original was wrecked and I ended up duplicating it with a router:

image.thumb.png.930bb0c06c71aa6186ff561b1c436dbb.png

Be sure to take some black silicone caulk and run a bead on the metal grille side of the "industrial motor-board", about 1/4" in from from the hole edge, and let it set-up overnite so that it will become a silicone "gasket" to seal the metal grille side to the inside of the speaker front panel.

I don't see any T-nuts for mounting the woofer, and they should have been installed in order to use machine screws to secure the woofer to the "industrial motor-board, whereas the wood screws should be used to install the "industrial motor-board" itself to the Heresy front panel.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

It is not "metal" near the woofers that is the issue, it is IRON or STEEL....because they are (or can become) magnetic.  The original grilles used aluminum for the grill material...non-magnetic. I had a "curious" cat, So I had the "industrial motor-boards" installed on my "flame twins" while I still worked at Klipsch.

Flame twins at Rodneys Place 2016.jpg

Those are beautiful! That would be cool if Klipsch added this as a factory option.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Be sure to take some black silicone caulk and run a bead on the metal grille side of the "industrial motor-board", about 1/4" in from from the hole edge, and let it set-up overnite so that it will become a silicone "gasket" to seal the metal grille side to the inside of the speaker front panel.

I don't see any T-nuts for mounting the woofer, and they should have been installed in order to use machine screws to secure the woofer to the "industrial motor-board, whereas the wood screws should be used to install the "industrial motor-board" itself to the Heresy front panel.

I used thin speaker gasket tape on the grill side and that seems to seal it, silicone caulk would probably be the best option if I did this again though. As for the T-Nuts, I just offset the woofer and used wood screws to hold the woofer to the motorboard as well and had it drive through the grate into the main motorboard for extra security. Now that I am more experienced with woodworking, I would probably do the T-nuts as well.

• 6 months later...