Klipschorn and...

Hey all you Khorn owners, what are the components attached to your babies?

Solid State here. Yamaha M series amps and same era pre’s. AR TT, Yamaha cassette and cdc units plus a tuner. Good recordings shine as poorly done are revealed. Double-edged sword I’ve grown to appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned Klipschorns between 1978 and 1992 and used them between 1978 and 1985. During that time I ran them from the following amps:

• Yamaha CA-610II integrated (A good starter amp for the first few months.)
  • Yamaha B2 (A wonderful sounding amp on K-horns: smooth and dynamic, but a bit 2-dimensional.)
  • Luxman MB3045 (Very liquid sounding and very dynamic, not quite as smooth as the B2 but with excellent 3-dimensional soundstaging.)
  • Nakamichi PA-7 (Sounded meh, but I worked for Nak and it was free. Plus, I couldn't afford to keep replacing the tubes in the MB3045s. They ran through a set every 9 months or so.)
  • Nakamichi PA-7II (Noticeably less meh sounding, but still not up to the sound of the Luxman or Yamaha.)
  • Electron Kinetics Eagle 2a* (Absolutely combined the best qualities of the B2 and the MB3045s: Incredible dynamics, smooth yet detailed from top to bottom, pinpoint 3D soundstaging and terrific deep bass performance.)

I also had the opportunity to run the K-horns on an Electron Kinetics Eagle 7a for a weekend, and it seemed to add about an octave to the speakers' response below 40Hz. No sh*t — I heard super deep bass in recordings that simply didn't have anything that low when the speakers were run by any other amp — it was downright scary. By the time I returned that amp to the dealer the following Monday (I couldn't afford to buy it so I bought the Eagle 2a as an affordable compromise) my upstairs neighbor was ready to kill me.

*Although I no longer own my Klipschorns (for the past 30+ years I've lived in homes that were a terrible match for Klipschorns) I do still own the Eagle 2a. It's running my 1980s-vintage Cornwalls as studio monitors in my recording studio. And it kicks their asses.

• Like 1