Lining the inside of Cornwall IIs

jwgorman

Fill in the cabinet provides some "give" to the air volume in the cabinet.  It's part of tuning the cabinet.  It makes the cabinet behave as though it is larger than it really is.  Don't add stuffing to a cabinet that wasn't designed for it.  You will most likely cause a dip in the bass near the low frequency cut-off (-3 dB point).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jwgorman said:

John, roger that. Older Cornwalls had a lining, paper maybe, that the Cornwall IIs (85-90) didn’t. I’m wondering if a thin lining of the cabinet interior might be beneficial. When I pull the woofers to swap the crossovers I’ll try it.  

And if you do not like what you hear you can easily reverse it.

I did an experiment with a 1/2” Bonded Dacron Upholstery Grade Polyester Batting. I lined all sides save the motor board.  

I like what I heard, or didn’t rather when I talked into the cab with the woofer pulled. Quite apparent that there was some reverb happening prior to lining the cab. 

I think it will stay. 

49 minutes ago, edmjm said:

my 79 cornwalls have what looks like tissue paper 1” thick 

Ah. Yeah I’ve seen pictures of it but I figured the stuff I bought would do roughly the same thing. It is quite noticeable doing a before/after. I can’t imagine why klipsch stopped doing it. 

My 1990 Heresy IIs have some gray foam in them that looks to be about an inch and a half thick.  I believe I've read that if you do add something like that it's only necessary to add it on three sides.  Top or bottom, left or right and front or back.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, jwgorman said:

Any of you guys lined the inside of Cornwall IIs? Notice a difference? Always wondered why Klipsch dropped lining when the Cornwall IIs came out. 

The lining and foam mentioned are used to mitigate standing waves. The variables with standing waves include distance from wall to wall and speaker location within the enclosure.

The foam as used in the Heresy catches the waves roughly in the middle of the longest dimension, top to bottom. This where the velocity of the reflections are the greatest.

The padding in the earlier Cornwall attacked the waves at the cabinet walls where pressure variations are the greatest. In both situations the need to provide friction to the wave movement or pressure variation.

The woofer location in the Cornwall II was changed. It should be considered that this change in location changed the wave pattern internally enough to avoid the need for damping.