The Klipsch Audio Community
jwgorman

Lining the inside of Cornwall IIs

Any of you guys lined the inside of Cornwall IIs? Notice a difference? Always wondered why Klipsch dropped lining when the Cornwall IIs came out. 

Don't know the answer, but would like to.  I have a pair as well.

• Like 1

Fill in the cabinet provides some "give" to the air volume in the cabinet.  It's part of tuning the cabinet.  It makes the cabinet behave as though it is larger than it really is.  Don't add stuffing to a cabinet that wasn't designed for it.  You will most likely cause a dip in the bass near the low frequency cut-off (-3 dB point).

• Thanks 1

John, roger that. Older Cornwalls had a lining, paper maybe, that the Cornwall IIs (85-90) didn’t. I’m wondering if a thin lining of the cabinet interior might be beneficial. When I pull the woofers to swap the crossovers I’ll try it.  

16 hours ago, jwgorman said:

John, roger that. Older Cornwalls had a lining, paper maybe, that the Cornwall IIs (85-90) didn’t. I’m wondering if a thin lining of the cabinet interior might be beneficial. When I pull the woofers to swap the crossovers I’ll try it.  

And if you do not like what you hear you can easily reverse it.

My 74 Cornwalls have a 1" thick lining of an insulation . Looks sorta like rock wool? George 

I did an experiment with a 1/2” Bonded Dacron Upholstery Grade Polyester Batting. I lined all sides save the motor board.  

I like what I heard, or didn’t rather when I talked into the cab with the woofer pulled. Quite apparent that there was some reverb happening prior to lining the cab. 

I think it will stay. 

49 minutes ago, edmjm said:

my 79 cornwalls have what looks like tissue paper 1” thick 

Ah. Yeah I’ve seen pictures of it but I figured the stuff I bought would do roughly the same thing. It is quite noticeable doing a before/after. I can’t imagine why klipsch stopped doing it. 

absolutely. why the factory didn’t put something in there to keep the slap echo under control 

My 1990 Heresy IIs have some gray foam in them that looks to be about an inch and a half thick.  I believe I've read that if you do add something like that it's only necessary to add it on three sides.  Top or bottom, left or right and front or back.

14 minutes ago, jwgorman said:

Interesting.  I’ve never seen anything in Heresys. Did you purchase them new? 

The H2s I recapped had this foam inside them.  I bought them from the original owner who had never opened them up.

20180203_144247.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, CECAA850 said:

The H2s I recapped had this foam inside them.  I bought them from the original owner who had never opened them up.

20180203_144247.jpg

Mine are exactly like that.

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Mine are exactly like that.

Yeah, a real PITA to recap.