The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ivaols

Klipsch KPT-535-M - reduce midrange level

Hi

My first post on this forum :)

I am the proud owner of a pair of Klipsch KPT-535. This pair was originally bougth as a three way active version used in a comercial cinema. The previous owner bougth a original passive crossover unit for mono amp operation and thats how I use them.

I am not using these speakers like they were intended too, behind a cinema screen. I Guess thats why I have too much Level i the midrange. My question is, what can I solder to the wires that reduce the Level 2-3 db?

Best,

Ivan

Or another solution, is there something that can easily be done with the crossover filter? 

Ivan, welcome to the forum.  What you are experiencing with the factory passives is not unique.  I have a number of factory cinema passives (904, 942, 535) and find the 'behind the screen'   passives hot in the mids as well...even when they are placed behind a screen (Seymour Center Stage XD).  

My 535M LCR and 904 surrounds in the HT are tamed by my pre/pro (Yamaha CX-A5000) which happens to have a very capable manual PEQ.   Have you considered a good equalizer?  No desire to go active?

Zim, thank you for the reply. 

My Cary Audio Cinema 12 do not have a very capable PEQ. The PEQ options in this unit are few and there is no way to adjust Q and center frequency, only level. Replacing Cinema 12 is expensive considering loss when sold and buying a new one. 

I do have a desire to go active. For a full three way active system I would need four extra amplifier channels and a active crossover unit. This is also expensive even though Minidsp would make it financially doable in the future. I have been looking into Minidsp DDRC-88A and 4*10HD.

Before I can afford the above two mentioned options I hope there is another cheaper alternative to get me along during the waiting. 

Temporarily, you could just put a piece of screen in front of them.  Not so hard.  :)

Guess it should be something like in commercial cinemas. I would try if I had anything suitable but I'm afraid I don't. 

Zim., would you mind posting the PEQ settings you are using on your (Yamaha CXA 5000), I too have a CXA 5000 powering a pair of JubScalas with the K402 horn on top and would like to see the settings you are using to see if I can get mine sounding as nice as possible. Thank you

bluesman