Share your road trips!

rockhound

• Moderators
On 4/25/2018 at 3:10 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

If you see the letter "A" stamped into that area, I built them.

I don't think I have any built by you but I do have a pair of original Forte's "inspected by"  R Wyatt         Bodark  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't think I have any built by you but I do have a pair of original Forte's "inspected by"  R Wyatt         Bodark  :emotion-21:

"Bois d'arc"....Bow wood, which is what the French called the OSAGE ORANGE tree...in the French they used....the hardest wood in North America.  We built lots of speakers together for over 7 years...and when we were working together we laughed the whole time...used to tick-off the foreman who though we were hurting our production by having too much fun... UNTIL he counted the days production, which was always higher than when I had somebody else working with me who was not nearly as fun to work with!:P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billybob said:

Here is a photo from yesterday's roadtrip. BTW, both Mike(dirtmudd) and I landed on this craig's advert.

Have some cleaning to do on both units. Not Klipsch but, attached to...Thanks Mike:

Edit: forgot...Sansui 2050 and Akai 1730 SS

DSC00806.JPG.f75ef72a498965ac63f9a7bd2a05d26a.JPG

I have the same Sansui turntable. I fell in love with the gorgeous design.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 4/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

"Bois d'arc"....Bow wood, which is what the French called the OSAGE ORANGE tree...in the French they used....the hardest wood in North America.  We built lots of speakers together for over 7 years...and when we were working together we laughed the whole time...used to tick-off the foreman who though we were hurting our production by having too much fun... UNTIL he counted the days production, which was always higher than when I had somebody else working with me who was not nearly as fun to work with!:P

He is funny, and a really good guy, I love the way he says Roy Augato.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, oldtimer said:

The company I work for, caring for folks with developmental/intellectual disabilities is called "Orange Grove Center", named for its first location that had a grove of Osage Orange.

This has more on hardness ratings of wood.

http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/topic/18738-the-hardest-wood-in-north-america/

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, oldtimer said:

Black Locust is also called "Ironwood" locally in Southwest Arkansas, but seasoned Osage Orange is harder and MORE DENSE than Black Locust.  Black Locust has larger thorns on it than Osage orange, MUCH LARGER!  Besides, Osage orange doesn't grow in the Smoky Mountains, but Black Locust does....in the bottomland, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...