Share your road trips!

rockhound

16 hours ago, billybob said:

Here is a pic of the LaScala pair not long after shoehorned temporary setup. They cleaned up nice except for DIY badge misplacement from previous owner and someone left a minor burn mark from a cig or something and a couple of watermarks on top of one. Not perfect but, I can live with the bargain.

2 college guys loaded them for me and some electronics into a 2000 Volvo wagon. It was plug and play.:

DSC00780.JPG

Sanding the tops down and refinishing them is not a big deal. There is a product called Barkeepers Friend mentioned in various posts on the Klipsch forums that can remove stains . I refinished a pair with Satin Spar Polyurethane and they ended up looking very similar to yours. I know you will enjoy them and next recap your crossovers or send them to Bob Crites to be done. Those old caps are not helping your sound quality.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dave A said:

There is a product called Barkeepers Friend mentioned in various posts on the Klipsch forums that can remove stains

I never heard of that.  I'll keep it in mind.  :emotion-21:

I use Barkeeper's Friend for removing the dull finish on old plastic headlight covers.  It also works great on your windshield if you get a blast of diesel oil from a passing trucker.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

There is a product called Barkeepers Friend mentioned in various posts on the Klipsch forums that can remove stains .

I have used Barkeepers Friend with modest success.  It is usually used on the darker water stains, because it draws the tannins out of the wood.  I don't think it would work on the white stains, but I could be wrong.  It is typically used in several applications over the stains.  Lots of info on the web.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the info and conversation.

Alright now, there are a lot of road trips posted all over the forum. *rockhound has gotten us a good thread started.

Have other road trips I have posted in the past. Not a good storyteller as you all have going. Have to honestly say

I much prefer reading about your ROAD TRIPS...:emotion-21:B)..thanks!

Have a great weekend and I hope that your Klipsch Road Trip is all you hoped it would be. Looking forward to your story and photos.

Ha I just looked down as I was punching SEND to see this thread was already on page four! Will go back now and read about the saga. Never the less the journey never ends so have a great trip this weekend.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 9:11 PM, rockhound said:

Another road trip starting tomorrow. Located a pair of Klipsch that I have wanted for a long time. Will post pics along the way!

Alright so for YEARS I have been wanting a pair of heresy decorators, well a few years back at the gathering in Hope, Andy aka @HDBRbuilder brought his pair of "flamed decorators". I had never seen them before but loved the look of them. Finally found a pair with in a reasonable drive.

So the wife and I packed a bag and took off to Broken Arrow OK about 4.5hrs from me. I had been here before to pick up a set of Forte 2's so I was pretty familiar with the area. In addition my wife and I were in this same area back in August for our anniversary getaway more on that later.

Rolled into Broken Arrow about 12:30. Meet the seller at his house, really a great fellow audio enthusiast. He had at least 30-40 vintage Marantz stereo receivers and amps, crazy amount of gear. Did a few demos paid the man and headed out.

Got back in town and grabbed some lunch at OK Joe's barbecue. Some of if not the best barbecue sauce I have ever tasted good stuff! Next door to OK Joe's was Bass Pro and in my parts it's a felony not to stop at Bass Pro! However my wife found several things "on sale" lol!

Wife and I headed to our hotel over in Claremore Ok to stay the night got to the room about 4. Decided to go watch a movie so we headed over to the local theatre B&B theatre. I wasn't expecting much since I had never heard of B&B before. Got two tickets to see A quiet place, grabbed some popcorn and headed to theatre 3. Man was I blown away this place had these awesome reclining seats nice and comfy only downside is they had JBL's (I always look)! Great movie by the way very different but worth checking out. Grabbed some snacks and went back to the room to.chill day 1 in the books.

Day two

Woke up to rain and cold temps my dumbass had on shorts and flip flops! We hung out at the room until check out time then headed over to our favorite fast food taco joint, TACO TICO! So why taco tico? Well when my wife and I were in college neither of us had any money and taco tico had a Sunday special of .20 tacos on Sunday! I would get 10 tacos and eat on them for days lol. Just good memories, last year for our 20yr anniversary my wife researched and found this place. There are not many locations left so if your near one give em a try! Got out bellies full and headed back home. Got back about 5pm.

Next day hooked the decorators up they sound great but look outstanding just what I wanted. All in all a great trip to pick up some Klipsch and spend time with my better half. 

Road trips are good for the soul you never know what you might discover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Alright so for YEARS I have been wanting a pair of heresy decorators, well a few years back at the gathering in Hope, Andy aka @HDBRbuilder brought his pair of "flamed decorators". I had never seen them before but loved the look of them. Finally found a pair with in a reasonable drive.

Face the rear of the speakers, look at the edge plys of the side panel to your left, up near the top.  If you see the letter "A" stamped into that area, I built them.  Don't get confused by the "USA" stamped into the rear edge, has nothing to do with me, just where they were made.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rockhound said:

Some pics.

They look great, always liked decorators, Andy's are probably one of the best examples.

Even better you went off with the better half for a couple of days.

2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Face the rear of the speakers, look at the edge plys of the side panel to your left, up near the top.  If you see the letter "A" stamped into that area, I built them.  Don't get confused by the "USA" stamped into the rear edge, has nothing to do with me, just where they were made.

@HDBRbuilder that was the first thing I looked for. Mine are 75's and have the initials R.B.

Well now, that is a hard road trip to follow.  Those Heresy look nice.

Called craigslist seller in Jax this morning to see if still on for today.

Went by the bank for the de-loot Called when an hour away to give

time for seller to drive from Atlantic Beach. Got into Jax into the 

Mandarin area and drove a little out of way but, found it. Guy offered

me in, quick chat and check for power as he had units setup. Eased

back on I-10 west around 3:30. Outside Jax found a Taco Bell as all 

had had so far was 2 cupper coffee. Got back to near home just

past 6:00. Stopped at conv. store  Proceeded to lock myself out of

car. Asked clerk for wire clotheshanger. Asked at the pump and

traveller gave me one kindly. After 1/2 hour, guy pulled into lot and

watched me awhile then took over. Defeated him too. Dude said

cousin was a tow guy nearby. Guy opened the door with not a 

Slim Jim but a device that looked like leather and fit around the

doorlatch. Viola! Was going to look at goodies and take a pic but,

after helping a dude with a wirehanger, and unlatching his door

in under 5 minutes, figure am doing good just to talk about the trip.

Had fun though and what a hoot! Pics soon. Goodies in car and.

I've got the keys, lol... next, a new battery for my remote. 400+ mile

rounder...7 hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well now, that is a hard road trip to follow.  Those Heresy look nice.

Called craigslist seller in Jax this morning to see if still on for today.

Went by the bank for the de-loot Called when an hour away to give

time for seller to drive from Atlantic Beach. Got into Jax into the 

Mandarin area and drove a little out of way but, found it. Guy offered

me in, quick chat and check for power as he had units setup. Eased

back on I-10 west around 3:30. Outside Jax found a Taco Bell as all 

had had so far was 2 cupper coffee. Got back to near home just

past 6:00. Stopped at conv. store  Proceeded to lock myself out of

car. Asked clerk for wire clotheshanger. Asked at the pump and

traveler gave me one kindly. After 1/2 hour, guy pulled into lot and

watched me awhile then took over. Defeated him too. Dude said

cousin was a tow guy nearby. Guy opened the door with not a 

Slim Jim but a device that looked like leather and fit around the

doorlatch. Viola! Was going to look at goodies and take a pic but,

agter helping a dude with a wirehanger, and unlatching his door

in under 5 minutes, figure am doing good just to talk about the trip.

Had fun though and what a hoot! Pics soon. Goodies in car and.

I've got the keys, lol... next, a new battery for my remote. 400+ mile

rounder...7 hours.

where are the pics... don't hold out !

• Haha 1

Here is a photo from yesterday's roadtrip. BTW, both Mike(dirtmudd) and I landed on this craig's advert.

Have some cleaning to do on both units. Not Klipsch but, attached to...Thanks Mike:

Edit: forgot...Sansui 2050 and Akai 1730 SS

DSC00806.JPG.f75ef72a498965ac63f9a7bd2a05d26a.JPG

• Like 3