Heresy II - how'd I do?

wuzzzer

Picked these up for $100 today.  First Heritage purchase, I think I made a good choice?

Haven't listened to them yet so not sure if everything is working 100%.  For the price, frankly I didn't care.

20180408_210145-1632x918.jpg

20180408_210233-1632x918.jpg

20180408_210421-918x1632.jpg

20180408_210335-918x1632.jpg

20180408_210309-918x1632.jpg

20180408_210502-918x1632.jpg

• Like 5

I love the look of these.  I'm keeping these 100% original.  No crossover work, no diaphragm changes, no staining the cabinets.  Just a little dusting, detailing and listening.

They're not as mint as I was hoping but for their age they're gorgeous.  Some pencil marks from a kid I assume.  Have to track down an eraser.

Also, is there a name for this style and color of grill?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

No crossover work

Ill advised.  Cap upgrades are almost a standard thing, and generally are recommended after a period of time.  You might also make sure the washers on the squwakers are in good shape.  The ones I had on my 81 Heresy were falling apart.  Don't need to do upgrades, but I recommend at least replacing the caps (putting it on the radar).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Ill advised.  Cap upgrades are almost a standard thing, and generally are recommended after a period of time.  You might also make sure the washers on the squwakers are in good shape.  The ones I had on my 81 Heresy were falling apart.  Don't need to do upgrades, but I recommend at least replacing the caps (putting it on the radar).

Good points.  Going to listen to them for a while first.

Are these cabinets veneered?

20180408_221053.jpg

• Like 1

My Brother,

You did awesome.  Great shape, great speakers, ridiculous price.

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

No crossover work

5 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Ill advised.  Cap upgrades are almost a standard thing, and generally are recommended after a period of time.

Maybe done already.  Good to check before ordering kit.

Bill

1 hour ago, silversport said:

I thought the Heresy lls were MDF with veneer...wouldn't the Birch Raw still be that way???...I know my Heresys are Baltic Birch plywood but mine are the first type...

Bill

Heresys have never been Baltic birch.  The birch plywood ones were made from custom ordered Klipsch-spec cabinet-grade plywood with minimal voids in the plys...usually made by Georgia-Pacific.

These particular Heresys certainly appear to be birch veneer over MDF...they offered that veneer because so many people have furniture that is birch-veneered plywood. I haven't seen very many birch-veneered MDF Heresy II's around, and I'm also not sure just how long they offered the birch veneer on them.  They could be fairly low in numbers produced. 

Birch veneer has been popular for decades, simply because it can "stain-up" to have the appearance of so many other wood veneers...cherry, black walnut, etc....at much lower materiels cost.  Even though, with the advent of the Heresy II, the birch plywood Heresy disappeared, there was likely still a demand for birch-raw speakers so that the purchaser could stain them to match other items in the home with stained birch veneers.  The old HDBR/HBR was the largest selling "heritage" speaker Klipsch ever produced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the definitive answer...and the "baltic birch" response by me goes to show what happens when I try to appear smarter than I am...:blink: ...I repeated something "I know not what I speak" so I opened my mouth and removed all doubt...

Thanks for the correction HDBRbuilder...

Bill

1 hour ago, silversport said:

the definitive answer...and the "baltic birch" response by me goes to show what happens when I try to appear smarter than I am...:blink: ...I repeated something "I know not what I speak" so I opened my mouth and removed all doubt...

Thanks for the correction HDBRbuilder...

Bill

There is a reason why no Baltic birch cabinets on Heresy and Cornwall...simply a fastener issue...Baltic birch is a problem when it comes to staples since it is so hard and dense.  I remember when the "powers that be" decided to use Baltic birch for drop-in Heresy fronts (motorboards) simply because we had so much of it on hand.  So the sawyers cut a bunch up, then I had to rout out all the openings, replacing router bits about ten times as often as normal (because the bits got so hot that the brazed-on edges would just explode to pieces out of the bit shank...kinda DANGEROUS thing to be happening!) ....then we drilled the pilot holes for the items being screwed to them...then they went back to be shot with black paint....then the REAL TROUBLE began...staples would not go thru the wood to secure the fronts to the boxes...and using finishing nails was just as bad...the FEW that made it over to final assembly (AND I MEAN A FEW!) cause more problems because the wood screws used to mount  the tweeter, mid-range horn, and woofer could not take the density of the Baltic birch layers of urea-formaldehyde glue and birch in that stuff, and the screw heads twisted off when trying to  mount those items to those motorboards.  Then they decided to just drill larger-diameter pilot holes, ignoring the fact we could not even mount those motorboards into the cabinets to begin with...another NO-GO idea...screws still twisted their heads off when attempts were made to mount the components snugly.

We could all have told them it was not the brightest idea to even attempt it, but honchos will be honchos...so we had lots of Heresy motorboard scrap from those pallets which were totally loaded with those fronts....since there was no way to get any use out of them.  Lots of Baltic birch motorboards were thrown into the dump-bound trailer.  Not to mention all of the dulled saw blades, destroyed router bits, and man-hours wasted on the idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On their stands and rockin'!  Confirmed that all drivers are working.

Really exceptional midrange and the bass is very tight and defined, even with them a couple feet off the floor.

Listening to my free spotify premium trial right now to get accustomed to their sound.

20180409_144058.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Youthman said:

Absolutely a great buy.  Heresy don't have much bottom end so they definitely sound best when paired with a quality sub. 

Typically, any Klipsch speakers for $100 is a good buy.  Congrats! 

It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.  :)

Not quite as good of a deal as the $50 Chorus I bought a few years ago.

• Like 1