system rebuild

pdasterly

time for an upgrade, current system

rx-a2060

f-20, c-20 and b-20

New system, waiting for yamaha to drop next month otherwise rx-3070

rc-64iii and rf-7iii

my concern are the rears, can i do thx sides, rears and atmos, the rears will  only used for movies not music and are the thx in-ceiling good for atmos

system will be 7.2.4

I have the 3070.  To run 11 channels you'll need at least one 2 channel external amp (will be needed for the rear heights - there is no option to reassign that unfortunately).  I do like the 3070, but as many AVRs, it will not make a lot of wpc with all (9) channels driven.  That said, I have used it to run all channels for a period and it worked very well - I did not notice any lack of oomph, at high volumes.  Good thing, if you need more - every channel has a pre-out as you would expect at this level of AVR.

I really like the 3070.  The thing just works.  No glitches.  I like the music cast, which works well with Tidal.  

I can't speak to matching up with your 7III and 64III.  I've got the 7II and 64II.  I'm quite happy with in ceiling 4x CDT-5800II mismatched with 2x RSL C34E.  Further mismatched with rear surrounds being SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers (overkill but they're sitting around...).  This is in a multi use living room setting (open space not good for audio nor treated in anyway).  I enjoy the experience, and regarding the mismatch, I just can't tell that the RSLs and SVS are all that different from the Klipsch.  LCR is clearly the important bits, at least to my ears and my space.  Different story of course if you've got a proper theater room, and will fine tune, level match etc.  

58 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I have the 3070.  To run 11 channels you'll need at least one 2 channel external amp (will be needed for the rear heights - there is no option to reassign that unfortunately).  I do like the 3070, but as many AVRs, it will not make a lot of wpc with all (9) channels driven.  That said, I have used it to run all channels for a period and it worked very well - I did not notice any lack of oomph, at high volumes.  Good thing, if you need more - every channel has a pre-out as you would expect at this level of AVR.

I really like the 3070.  The thing just works.  No glitches.  I like the music cast, which works well with Tidal.  

I can't speak to matching up with your 7III and 64III.  I've got the 7II and 64II.  I'm quite happy with in ceiling 4x CDT-5800II mismatched with 2x RSL C34E.  Further mismatched with rear surrounds being SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers (overkill but they're sitting around...).  This is in a multi use living room setting (open space not good for audio nor treated in anyway).  I enjoy the experience, and regarding the mismatch, I just can't tell that the RSLs and SVS are all that different from the Klipsch.  LCR is clearly the important bits, at least to my ears and my space.  Different story of course if you've got a proper theater room, and will fine tune, level match etc.  

picked up monolith 3 channel amp

• Like 1

For Atmos, if you care to follow Dolby's recommendations - you'll want one of two types of ceiling speaker.  The first is a downward firing with very wide dispersion - something like 45 degrees (kinda hard to find).  Barring that, second option is ceiling speaker that is aim-able towards listening position.  

The Klipsch THX ceiling speakers are made as surrounds (right?), not sure what their dispersion is like, and they don't appear to be aim-able (maybe I'm not looking at the correct models).  It'd probably sound good regardless, depends on how much to recommended specs you want to stick with.  If you already have them there then sure why not use them and see how you like it.