Free 1975 klipshorns

My exact thinking when I picked up some La Scalas that had never been heard by the current owner.  They were just junk to him removed from an organ he bought.  I paid a bit more than FREE though.  Congrats on your K Horns!  Enjoy!

21 hours ago, muel said:

My exact thinking when I picked up some La Scalas that had never been heard by the current owner.  They were just junk to him removed from an organ he bought.  I paid a bit more than FREE though.  Congrats on your K Horns!  Enjoy!

SO did the previous owner decide to replace the LaScalas with a Leslie speaker for his organ??:P

Free Khorns outstanding! I guess lightning does strike twice in the same place. Weren't the last pair of free khorns here 1976? So I guess when we see the next pair it will be 1974 looks like we are descending year by year. It's going to take a long time to work our way down to 1946.

Congrats!

On 4/10/2018 at 4:58 PM, 1sixstringer said:

They are home, safe and sound... they're in the garage... wait until my wife sees the size of them, hahahahahaha

Congratulations on a great find!

Don't leave them on the concrete long; they'll absorb moisture from the concrete and eventually damage the wood. Separate the cabinets from the floor with either metal or plastic dropcloth.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:31 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Be careful not to fire them up while they are still on the property of the (previous??) owners, or else you could end up not getting them outta there...just saying...because if they have never heard k-horns, they may back out of the freebie deal.

When I bought my LaScalas the guy had two sets for sale. I brought my quality DAC and amp to demo the Raw Birch ones. We listened to music for about 20 min to check them out before carrying the set to my car. Once we got it done he said, "What did you have that hooked to, a DAC? Yeah I am definitely not selling that second pair."

23 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Congratulations on a great find!

Don't leave them on the concrete long; they'll absorb moisture from the concrete and eventually damage the wood. Separate the cabinets from the floor with either metal or plastic dropcloth.

Use 1.5" diameter "Grippers", instead...the ones you need  are peel-and-stick black foam neoprene pads (like a wetsuit is made of) about 1/8" thick...with the floor side having a pebbly surface...they will keep the extreme bottom of the speakers from absorbing any "sweat" from concrete OR smooth-surfaced floors...place the grippers on the speaker bottom in a perimeter about an inch inwards around that bottom, a very few inches apart, with a second inner perimeter, and one larger gripper, or three of the 1.5" ones in a triangle shape in the center of the bass bin bottom.  They will stabilize the bass bin bottom so that it does not want to slide around, and additionally "couple" the bottom of the bass bin to the floor.  They are one of the absolutely CHEAPEST methods of improving the performance of those bass bins.  Just be sure to remove the metal, hammered-in "gliders" from the bass bin bottoms FIRST, otherwise you are eliminating the possibility of a solid coupling to the floor using the Grippers.  Trust me they really work, and a number of forum members will verify this....They used to be very common at Wal-Mart stores, but other "furniture foot pads" are much more popular nowadays.  They are also great for LaScala speakers.

• Like 1