HP-3 wood/finish?

Maximus89

I know there are walnut/ebony/oak to choose from but i've seen Klipsch offer "wanut" for RF-7 II and III's when they were really oak with a walnut finish. Is that the case with these headphones? They're all oak with different finishes on them?

Reason i am asking is because i am about to get in the process of refinishing my black oak Chorus II's, and was interested in a non black, but very dark brown ebony look and i immediately thought about the HP3:
HP-3-Product-14.jpg

So is that Oak with a dark finish?

You mean stain... I don't know for sure, but that looks like walnut to me.
Walnut isn't so rare that it needs to be simulated because of lack of materials.

They have one that is labeled as walnut, it has a medium brown tone you usually see with walnut. The other is a very light oak. This one I posted is just named ebony.
I think it’s common knowledge they put a walnut stain on oak or ash for the RF-7 II and III, but I guess that’s more costly veneering those towers compared to what little veneer you need for the Hp-3.
If you look at the grain pattern of the ebony and the oak Hp-3, it’s very similar.

Either way, I’ve looked at some stain options and will try and get that deep dark brown, or just go completely black with my oak Chorus II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, Maximus89 said:

I know there are walnut/ebony/oak to choose from but i've seen Klipsch offer "wanut" for RF-7 II and III's when they were really oak with a walnut finish.

At least the new 7's are actually hickory with a stain and called walnut.  They do this because there's too many shades and swirls, the things would never match.  You have to have a matched pair like Heritage for walnut to be feasible.  The headphones are a solid chunk of wood, not really the same thing.  I just got 3 pair of the walnut ones in, those are super pretty.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I did not realize that modern walnut veneer Klipsch was not walnut. This explains why my new 450ca center in walnut looks nothing like my quartets l/r. Which I am bothered by and would not have paid the extra money for the ca version if I had known.

Your post tells me that there is no use trying to rework the finish on the 450ca because it's foundation is hickory.