SOLD - Looking for best TT $900 (reduced) can buy?! Technics SL-1200 MK2

ODS123

Based on what I know about the new re-issue (anecdotal and first hand), you may want to just hang onto that one and spend your money on records

The only thing I find outstandingly good about it is it will play 78s

I think (my opinion) the Mk II was the best incarnation of the prosumer SL-1200 they made (and that covers a lot of territory) and on top of that one of the finest turntables ever made at any price, period

(note I said "one of" before the flamers and the pile ons start : - )

As for Technics pro decks, that's another conversation (I love them too!)

Keep it - all that glitters isn't gold

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, analogman said:

The only thing I find outstandingly good about it is it will play 78s

Good b/c I have hundreds of 78's.    ..J/K, actually I don't have a single 78, so that isn't my motivation.

My reason is really just the collectability factor of the GAE..  ..I am so enamored w/ these Sl-1200 turntables that I have been pining for a GAE since they were announced.  That said, I do NOT have any expectation that it's going to sound so much better as to justify the cost.  And that is usually how it goes w/ high-end audio: returns diminish as you spend more.  So I guess I'll admit it is mostly a pride-of-ownership kind of thing.  

That said, I certainly would expect it to sound every bit as good as my MKII.  Are you saying the new 1200's aren't as good as the old ones?

Thanks for weighing in :)  ..Much appreciated.

Think it best to not get into debating the merits, motives (or extolling the virtues) of the two in a forum setting

I only have to say if I had a Mk.II I'd purchased new in the condition yours is in I'd have no desire for the re-issue, even the new and improved "limited edition" 

Allegedly, they only made 1200 of them, so if you're going to do it you better get busy!

I have a hunch, they've all been bought by now though, that or you'll be paying a lot more than Technic's original suggested retail for the machine

The "GR" version will probably be around for a while 

My Son is currently stationed in Japan and the "GR"s are everywhere - not so much for the "GAE"

Good luck

13 minutes ago, analogman said:

Think it best to not get into debating the merits, motives (or extolling the virtues) of the two in a forum setting

I only have to say if I had a Mk.II I'd purchased new in the condition yours is in I'd have no desire for the re-issue, even the new and improved "limited edition" 

Allegedly, they only made 1200 of them, so if you're going to do it you better get busy!

I have a hunch, they've all been bought by now though, that or you'll be paying a lot more than Technic's original suggested retail for the machine

The "GR" version will probably be around for a while 

My Son is currently stationed in Japan and the "GR"s are everywhere - not so much for the "GAE"

Good luck

Actually, I meant the "G" version.  ..I keep getting them confused.  ..Yes, all the new GAE's are sold; a few turn up used.

If I had the money I might consider the SL-1000R but that's crazy expensive.

And if you feel the G's aren't as good as the old mk2, please share your thoughts.  ...I started this thread so it's not like you're hijacking it.  ..I'm truly interested.  thx A-Man. 

In my experience, the newer turntables are better than the older ones.  The Technics engineers haven't been just sitting around all these years.

The first Technics turntable I got was a used SL-1400 Mk. 2.  I thought it sounded pretty good, and had a Shure M97xE cartridge installed on it.

The buttons on the 1400 were a bit sticky, and there was a slight funny noise as the platter turned, so I decided to buy a new SL-1210M5G before they were all gone.  That meant that the prices of the few remaining ones were kind of high, but I'd have been sorry if I hadn't gone for it.  This was in August of 2010. 

The M5G "Grand Master" came without a cartridge, of course, so I just pulled the headshell off the 1400 and plugged it onto the M5G, complete with M97 cart.  I also pulled the vintage Platter Matter thick Sorbothane mat off the 1400 and put it on the new turntable.  It's great that it's so easy to adjust the height of the tonearm pivot to suit mats of different thicknesses, as well as adjust the VTA as needed.

I didn't expect to hear much, if any, difference in the sound, but I was really mistaken.  Even with the same cartridge, headshell, and mat, LPs played on the new 'table sounded much better, with more clarity and bass impact.  This made me very happy, of course.  Somewhat later, I took the new turntable to the local high-end audio shop, Sound Hounds, where I'd bought the cartridge, and they happily installed the cart in the M5G headshell and carefully aligned it, at no charge!

The new turntable has a different suspension system from the 1400, plus it has higher quality tonearm wiring.  The speed control system is also improved.  Those may sound like detail differences, but they add up to unmistakable improvements in the sound.

All that to say that you'll likely be very happy with your new "G" turntable when you get it.  Sock those dollars away, or just go for it now, and pay for it later!

15 hours ago, Islander said:
15 hours ago, Islander said:

In my experience, the newer turntables are better than the older ones.  The Technics engineers haven't been just sitting around all these years.

The first Technics turntable I got was a used SL-1400 Mk. 2.  I thought it sounded pretty good, and had a Shure M97xE cartridge installed on it.

The buttons on the 1400 were a bit sticky, and there was a slight funny noise as the platter turned, so I decided to buy a new SL-1210M5G before they were all gone.  That meant that the prices of the few remaining ones were kind of high, but I'd have been sorry if I hadn't gone for it.  This was in August of 2010. 

The M5G "Grand Master" came without a cartridge, of course, so I just pulled the headshell off the 1400 and plugged it onto the M5G, complete with M97 cart.  I also pulled the vintage Platter Matter thick Sorbothane mat off the 1400 and put it on the new turntable.  It's great that it's so easy to adjust the height of the tonearm pivot to suit mats of different thicknesses, as well as adjust the VTA as needed.

I didn't expect to hear much, if any, difference in the sound, but I was really mistaken.  Even with the same cartridge, headshell, and mat, LPs played on the new 'table sounded much better, with more clarity and bass impact.  This made me very happy, of course.  Somewhat later, I took the new turntable to the local high-end audio shop, Sound Hounds, where I'd bought the cartridge, and they happily installed the cart in the M5G headshell and carefully aligned it, at no charge!

The new turntable has a different suspension system from the 1400, plus it has higher quality tonearm wiring.  The speed control system is also improved.  Those may sound like detail differences, but they add up to unmistakable improvements in the sound.

All that to say that you'll likely be very happy with your new "G" turntable when you get it.  Sock those dollars away, or just go for it now, and pay for it later!

You're comparing apples to oranges

The SL-1200 Mk.II is a manual machine

Same family tree but definitely different machines altogether as well as decade(s)

There is also the possible variable of arm bearing condition etc etc etc between the used automatic deck and the (new) manual 1200

And you are correct, the stock signal cables were definitely improved upon

Most of the Mk.II model versions (with the exception of the 1200s) were plagued with tone arm and cue issues after some time had passed, especially the automatics

Technics started using a lot of plastic where metal had been before as well as upping the IC and switch counts

That's why I am reluctant to get into a comparison contrast

You cannot judge one by the other

Example: I "built" an SL-1300, first generation, for my Son that won't beat a 1200 Mk.II but it sure comes close to matching it

They all share common DNA but they ain't the same table

All of the SL-1200s are in a class of their own

Craig 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, analogman said:

"You're comparing apples to oranges"

"The SL-1200 Mk. II is a manual machine."

"You cannot judge one by the other"

Something went wrong with the Quote feature, so I quoted you manually.

Islander replies:  Most of the SL-1400 Mk. II turntables are manual by now, because when the belt that drives the arm return mechanism fails, it's difficult to find a replacement, so that feature becomes disabled.  Even so, it would have made little or no difference to the sound.

Both are Technics direct drive turntables, even though the 1200s are a higher quality machine.  They differ, but there's nothing wrong with listening to both and noting the differences in sound quality between the two.  I was amazed that the difference in sound quality was so obvious, even when using the same cartridge, stylus, and mat.  Sure, the 1400 was old, and I was mostly looking for more reliability, replacing the old one before it failed or even started sounding bad, so the improved sound was a very pleasant surprise.

Logically, the new G series 1200s should sound even better, since they have the benefits of new engineering, plus higher-spec materials in their construction.  They seem expensive, but the pre-G models were bargain priced for what they were, with the design and tooling costs having been amortized years ago.

• 3 months later...