WTB Heresy I HBR (pair)

beezbo

11 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Here is my take on it....if someone lists something here in the Garage Sale, they are indeed entitled to list it for whatever amount they want.   Over the years, we have made it a courtesy to the seller not to engage in pointing out their item for sale isn't worth their asking price. 

The OP of this thread is seeking advice and and willland mentions that he found a pair that he feels is a bit insanely priced (which I would have to agree considering the prices that I see here in Florida). 

I tend to agree with the above.  If the "insane" comment were posted in an active for sale thread the comment would be hidden.  I know of no such courtesies to random craigslist ads like we'd see in the alerts section.  Overall, forum members really try not to intentionally step on other members toes.  Of course there's always the exception but as a rule courtesy prevails most of the time here.

4 hours ago, analogman said:

So you're telling me you conduct yourself by living a double standard guided by assumptions?

What in the world are you talking about?  Double standard?

What assumptions?

If the seller had posted his ad on this forum, myself or maybe others, would have possibly sent a PM to politely express that maybe the price was a "little" high based on what I have seen such speakers in that condition go for.  I have taken that route on more than one occasion and each seller expressed that they were very appreciative for me informing them.  

What really confuses me is what your motive is for your accusations and your assumption that I am being hypocritical.  There are enough folks on this forum that know me well enough to say that I am much more of a peacemaker than a troublemaker or one to cause discord.

For what it is worth, I am sincerely sorry that I rubbed you the wrong way.

Bill

Re. the original request, if you are ever in Victoria BC, I'd be willing to audition a pair of 1980 HBR I have which include all new E crossover I built.  Of course in Canada the $$$ are worth more.  Or something like that. 

FYI going rate for Heresy I in Alberta/BC seems to be $650 Cdn., not including a new crossover, which cost me around $250 Cdn. in parts.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I bought a gallon of gas once for 28 cents once.

Here is my take.  People can talk about what a great deal they got on Klipsch speakers, but nobody is going to come close to @garymd deal on a set of pristine Khorns, so you are spinning your wheels on trying to gain traction with that.  He didn't rob a widow,  he was at the right place at the right time.  He started his on thread about it back at the time.  He didn't try and equate that insane deal as to what real world pricing was everytime a pair of Khorns came up for sale, or a WTB Khorns came up.

So here's a thought, we could look at what the OP is asking for help on and focus on that.  Lot of great responses on that.  

Don't we have a thread somewhere about "what I got today"?  

I don't think there is a problem with commenting about something listed elsewhere, whether it is Ebay, CL or Agon.  If someone lists something here it is a whole different story, there's rules don't ya know.

@beezbo Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

Re. the original request, if you are ever in Victoria BC, I'd be willing to audition a pair of 1980 HBR I have which include all new E crossover I built.  Of course in Canada the $$$ are worth more.  Or something like that. 

FYI going rate for Heresy I in Alberta/BC seems to be $650 Cdn., not including a new crossover, which cost me around $250 Cdn. in parts.

Now we are talking.  The drive from the Bay Area to BC is a must do.  Geting a great pair of speakers as part of that deal is pretty tempting.

45 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I remember $0.17/gal in the mid 60's in Indiana and you got green stamps and premiums -- dishes, that kind of stuff

Gasoline was never 17 cents a gallon in the 1960s unless they were running some sort of promotion

52 minutes ago, analogman said:

Gasoline was never 17 cents a gallon in the 1960s unless they were running some sort of promotion

It was called "the gas wars"...where all the service stations dropped their asking price for gasoline in order to attempt to beat out their competitors...no promotion involved.  Gas was normally running around 23-25 cents a gallon, but when peak sales periods (summer, holiday seasons, etc.) came around, the "gas wars" started back up.  The lowest I ever saw the price go was in 69-71 when it actually dropped below 20 cents for regular and stayed there for almost a year.  During NON-peak sales periods, the gas price would hover around 23-25 cents per gallon for regular.  When it was NOT a peak sales period, they offered promotions...a set of glasses or something like that for a fill-up of 10 gallons or more, for instance, but the price per gallon did not drop.  I mowed peoples yards every spring/summer...bought my gas for my mower...remember it well...from 1964-1968.  By late 1966 I was running around town and to and from school, and throwing a paper route from a 1967 (bought in Dec 1966) Yamaha twin-jet 100, the hot-rod of its class at the time.  From that point onwards, I was filling gas tanks with gas for my vehicles.  You used to be able to get "octane-blended" gas at the pump, too...where it mixed proportions of regular and premium to achieve the octane average of where you rotated the selection lever on the octane scale.  High octane (premium or ethyl) gasoline was rated 120 octane or above.