WTB Heresy I HBR (pair)

beezbo

4 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

It was called "the gas wars"...where all the service stations dropped their asking price for gasoline in order to attempt to beat out their competitors...no promotion involved.  Gas was normally running around 23-25 cents a gallon, but when peak sales periods (summer, holiday seasons, etc.) came around, the "gas wars" started back up.  The lowest I ever saw the price go was in 69-71 when it actually dropped below 20 cents for regular and stayed there for almost a year.  During NON-peak sales periods, the gas price would hover around 23-25 cents per gallon for regular.  When it was NOT a peak sales period, they offered promotions...a set of glasses or something like that for a fill-up of 10 gallons or more, for instance, but the price per gallon did not drop.  I mowed peoples yards every spring/summer...bought my gas for my mower...remember it well...from 1964-1968.  By late 1966 I was running around town and to and from school, and throwing a paper route from a 1967 (bought in Dec 1966) Yamaha twin-jet 100, the hot-rod of its class at the time.  From that point onwards, I was filling gas tanks with gas for my vehicles.  You used to be able to get "octane-blended" gas at the pump, too...where it mixed proportions of regular and premium to achieve the octane average of where you rotated the selection lever on the octane scale.  High octane (premium or ethyl) gasoline was rated 120 octane or above.

I remember it well, both of 'em (the gas wars of the '60s and the '70s)

And you know, they were a sort of promotion, promoting the fact that station owners didn't appreciate the prices of crude going up either

Most of the "wars" were by mutual agreement between station owners (I was a pump jockey too in my youth) had an Esso right next door and on the next corner a GULF

Pushed my Craftsman lawnmower around a lot too for a quarter on those hot *** Eastern North Carolina Saturdays

But gas was never 17 cents during the mid '60s which is what he posted

Regardless, this is a pointless debate

Them days are long gone

With the irony that the profit on a gallon of gas today, real profit, NOT percentage is about the same as it was in 1965

7 minutes ago, analogman said:

I remember it well, both of 'em (the gas wars of the '60s and the '70s)

And you know, they were a sort of promotion, promoting the fact that station owners didn't appreciate the prices of crude going up either

Most of the "wars" were by mutual agreement between station owners (I was a pump jockey too in my youth) had an Esso right next door and on the next corner a GULF

Pushed my Craftsman lawnmower around a lot too for a quarter on those hot *** Eastern North Carolina Saturdays

But gas was never 17 cents during the mid '60s which is what he posted

Regardless, this is a pointless debate

Them days are long gone

With the irony that the profit on a gallon of gas today, real profit, NOT percentage is about the same as it was in 1965

It all depends on where you lived.  And how much the fuel taxes in that state were, plus whether the state had its own minimum wage law that was a higher minimum wage than what the federal minimum wage was.  Just like today!  If you lived somewhere in California or New York you REALLY got screwed at the pump.  Just like today!

7 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

It all depends on where you lived.  And how much the fuel taxes in that state were, plus whether the state had its own minimum wage law that was a higher minimum wage than what the federal minimum wage was.  Just like today!  If you lived somewhere in California or New York you REALLY got screwed at the pump.  Just like today!

I'm not going to continue to beat this into the ground

It's really irrelevant now, isn't it?

But I'm going to say it one more time and I'm standing by it

Gasoline, sold retail, at the gasoline pump, at the gas station (Esso, Shell, Gulf, Texaco etc etc etc) was NEVER 17 cents a gallon in the United States of America during the 1960s

In any and all of the 48 contiguous states Alaska or Hawaii

UNLESS it was some sort of promotion or gimmick perpetrated by an INDIVIDUAL station owner for whatever the reason, "gas war" statement whatever

I worked in and around the industry for decades; all you have to do is look at wholesale prices

No one sold gasoline for 17 cents a gallon, RETAIL, at the PUMP in the 1960s

1 hour ago, beezbo said:

Is it possible to buy a set of Heresy drivers from Klipsch? I am thinking about building some cabinets out of a similar birch plywood.

You may be able to buy Heresy III woofers but I doubt any are available from series I or II.

Bill

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I would buy woofers from Bob Crites if I were trying to reproduce a pair of  HBR1s.

Alternatively, anyone converting a pair of H1s to @ClaudeJ1‘s “Super Heresys” will have a spare pair of H1 woofers.  Perhaps you can get lucky there.

I think I have some in my inventory.