Looking for AVR Recommendations

rplace

My previous post got me no love, perhaps too detailed to digest https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/175828-denon-avr-switching-problem/

Frustration has reached its limit so I think I am on the hunt for a new AVR. I've always been happy with Denon products but think I am looking for a change in brands after this last 3311ci. This is for a modest living room system, not my main HT. Don't need anything too over the top.

Must have:

• minimum 3 HDMI in 1 HDMI out
  • good sound
  • 5.1 main room and ability for separate/independent 2-channel zone 2
    • ie play single source in both zones or different source in each zone

1 minute ago, tromprof said:

With Klipschorns I would strongly recommend the Pioneer Elite models with D3 amps. They sound marvelous with big horns.

Thanks, but this is not my main system with Khorns. 55" plasma and three KL6502THX  L/C/R in-walls and  two CDT-5800-C rears

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Thanks, but this is not my main system with Khorns. 55" plasma and three KL6502THX  L/C/R in-walls and  two CDT-5800-C rears

I always had Pioneers and just recently switched to Denon x2400 because of Pioneers in my price range were missing certain features. The first Denon was defective and was replaced. After more than a month of testing and adjustments I'm finally happy with the sound, but... It still running hot, doesn't play as loud as a cheaper and lower WPC Pioneer and I don't like loud clicks when it turns on and off. 

I like the x2400h sound, but imo my old Pioneer sounded a bit brighter and I liked it better. 

I have been very happy with my Integra pre/pro.  Their receivers have similar features.

I remember Pioneer from the '70s.  I would NEVER buy or recommend Pioneer.  I'm too much of an audio snob for that. 

You get what you pay for when it comes to AVR's IMO, especially the budget units.  The upper Denon models are always hard to beat when it comes to running 5+ channels as far as power output goes.   Onkyo and Integra have had a few units that were shear powerhouses in the past.  If you're running some ceiling speakers you may need a little extra power due to them not being as sensitive.   I wouldn't rule out Marantz either, but Google search past bench tests on the units you're interested in and you can get the HONEST numbers on just how much power they will produce in multi channel listening, then its just a feature comparison.

28 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I have been very happy with my Integra pre/pro.  Their receivers have similar features.

I know you asked about an AVR but IF you consider separates, the Integra DHC 9.9 that DeanG is selling would be an excellent buy and meet all the requirements you posted. Except amplification of course....

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

"...or different source in each zone"

I don't think you are going to find any that meet this requirement. If you do, please let us know!

On my current Denon 3311ci you can assign the surround back amps to a different zone. So zone 1 now has 5.1 channels not 7.1. Each zone has its own source select both on the unit and the two remotes (full feature and simplified). I am 99% sure I have had my Sat. TV on in my living room watching TV and at the same time using my Klipsch outdoor speakers on the Deck via zone 2 and Sonos connect feeding music from my NAS via the digital Coax out to the CD in of the Denon.

long way winded way of saying TV in one zone music in another.

You have to do some configuration with the on screen display to tell it to use all the discrete amps in on location or split them up. I don't do anything with 9.1 or zone 3 on my Denon but I'm sure the On Screen Display lets you do 9.1 in zone 1 or 5.1 in zone 1 and stereo in zone 2 or 5.1 in zone 1 and mono in zone 2 and mono in zone 3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Ah, that's awesome! I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing. Now you have me thinking about a new AVR!

Mine is not super new. Probably 3-5 years old. Not sure how old yours is, but don't think it is uncommon. I'll sell you my Denon 331Ci super cheap ;) I can't stand needing to turn things off and back on when I need to switch sources as referenced in my link in my first post. I'd really love to solve that problem. Beyond that I'm very happy with my current and past Denon products.

Advanced HDMI® Zone Switching

Yes indeed:

Full video and audio capability in second zone. While standard HDMI zone switching can only send HD video programs to the main and second zones, advanced HDMI® zone switching from Yamaha adds the capability to choose from all audio and video sources for playback in Zone 2*. An on-screen graphical user interface makes it easy to browse and select content to enjoy from the second zone no matter what is being played in the Main Zone. *The second HDMI output can be assigned to Zone 4 as well (HDMI inputs only).

advanced_hdmi_zone_2_w1200_1200x414_e26e

21 hours ago, Max2 said:

You get what you pay for when it comes to AVR's IMO, especially the budget units.  The upper Denon models are always hard to beat when it comes to running 5+ channels as far as power output goes.   Onkyo and Integra have had a few units that were shear powerhouses in the past.  If you're running some ceiling speakers you may need a little extra power due to them not being as sensitive.   I wouldn't rule out Marantz either, but Google search past bench tests on the units you're interested in and you can get the HONEST numbers on just how much power they will produce in multi channel listening, then its just a feature comparison.

The S-line that starts from $230 MSRP is Denon's lower line.. The upper "better built" X-line starts at $600. My x2400 has MSRP of $800 which is not exactly "on the lower end". Besides running hot, even in 2 channel mode, despite better "paper specs"  the x2400h is  not as loud and in 5-channel mode the Denon definitely feels weaker vs my older $400 Pioneer. I didn't pay MSRP and got it on sale for $475 and maybe I had to pay extra $200 and get a x3400 that has 20WPC higher rating, but if I had $700 to spend, most definitely I would've get me a Pioneer Elite.

23 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

The S-line that starts from $230 MSRP is Denon's lower line.. The upper "better built" X-line starts at $600. My x2400 has MSRP of $800 which is not exactly "on the lower end". Besides running hot, even in 2 channel mode, despite better "paper specs"  the x2400h is  not as loud and in 5-channel mode the Denon definitely feels weaker vs my older $400 Pioneer. I didn't pay MSRP and got it on sale for $475 and maybe I had to pay extra $200 and get a x3400 that has 20WPC higher rating, but if I had $700 to spend, most definitely I would've get me a Pioneer Elite.

It sounds like that Pioneer is a great bargain and may be a Class D power setup from its power and price range, glad its working out for you.   The Denon 2400 series is not what I would consider one of Denons upper line and is basically competing with the plethora of other AVR manus in the sub $1k range. Upper models usually retail around $2K and up from the majority.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:11 AM, rplace said:

Mine is not super new. Probably 3-5 years old. Not sure how old yours is, but don't think it is uncommon. I'll sell you my Denon 331Ci super cheap ;) I can't stand needing to turn things off and back on when I need to switch sources as referenced in my link in my first post. I'd really love to solve that problem. Beyond that I'm very happy with my current and past Denon products.

I have one of the cheaper Denons, AVR-730H if my memory is correct. With Heos, it has the capability to play different sources to not only zone 1 and zone 2, but also to the Heos speakers. One thing I don't like about it is the lack of tone control and subwoofer output on Zone 2.

Although this is one of their cheaper AVR's (under $400), it does just fine in HT usage. It even does fairly well in 2-channel, putting out 75 wpc with 2 channels driven.

I have used it with RF7-ii, R28-F, and Infinity Reference Threes. It is a little lacking in power for the Infinity's, (they are 6 0hm and low sensitivity) but only at exceptionally loud volume. I can go to reference level on the other speakers without clipping.

Oh, I don't have to turn it off to switch sources. I control it with an app on my phone (Heos app)

On 4/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, Olorin said:

Were I in the market for a receiver, this is the one I would buy: https://nadelectronics.com/product/t-758-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/.

You should really look into this one.  That is one awesome price with warranty.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8hbic-nad-t-758-w-vm130-4k-mdc-manufacturers-warranty-authorized-dealer-receivers

NAD

I am actually very tempted myself.

Bill