emotiva or monoprice

pdasterly

On 4/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, CECAA850 said:

They have a 7 channel b stock for 1299.  I'd be all over that.

Yes, I was referring to the XLR models. I really thought all the Monolith models that were not B-stock were going to be XLR from now on. Just the 3/5/7 models mind you.

Thanks for the tip. I did not see those listed previously, but I may have missed that B-stock item during my frequent checks. Now I have to decide if I continue to wait, or just get the non xlr model at a discount. I called Monoprice, and they have 20+ Monolith 7 B-stock in inventory. My Denon denon x6200w does not have XLR, but I wanted to future proof, just in case I eventually end up with a XLR pre/pro at some future time.  I sure could use 200Watts now. I am trying to push 5 Chorus II's with a 100x5 now. I am trying to offload as many channels off the AVR as possible to run it as if it were a pre/pro. I have 9 channels are running currently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main system : Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma; Denon AVR-X6200W; Outlaw 5000; OPPO UDP-203; Klipsch RSW-10 sub; modified Klipsch Chorus II Fronts; modified Klipsch Forte II center; modified Klipsch Chorus II surrounds; modified Klipsch Academy rear heights; JBL L20T3 front heights; Mogami 10ga speaker cables, Mogami interconnects; custom gaming pc 

Secondary system LG 47" LCD; Onkyo tx-nr818; OPPO UDP-83; JBL 240Ti Fronts; JBL L40T3 Center; JBL L100T3 Surrounds; JBL L200T3 in rotation; Mogami cables; custom htpc/server.

I am debating the cost to benifit of paying $1600 for an amplifer with XLR and RCA connections VS an amplifier of exact same specifications EXCEPT RCA 

only connections for $1300.

So is it worth $300 or (23% more) for XLR connections? I am already aware of the long cable runs benefit, which I do not have a need for.

13 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

So is it worth $300 or (23% more) for XLR connections? I am already aware of the long cable runs benefit, which I do not have a need for.

Everyone is different but for me it wouldn't be worth the extra money especially when you can get these for cheap if you ever had to.

1391189441000_1026932.jpg

1 minute ago, pdasterly said:

i got the 2 emo's on ebay, couldnt help it, going to return the monolith

Congrats, you won't regret picking up those XPA-1's. Had you not, I felt bad thinking that you just dropped that money and now the Monolith B-Stock come up for sale. I look forward to your thoughts when you get them in your system!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pdasterly said:

i got the 2 emo's on ebay, couldnt help it, going to return the monolith

I admire a Klipsch man who is firm in his decision making.  :emotion-21: 

I wonder if I'll ever meet one?  :rolleyes:  :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, teaman said:

Congrats, you won't regret picking up those XPA-1's. Had you not, I felt bad thinking that you just dropped that money and now the Monolith B-Stock come up for sale. I look forward to your thoughts when you get them in your system!

i got the monoprice b-stock 3x200

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, teaman said:

i dont think i need another xpa-1 for my center channel, maybe a 5-ch for center and surrounds and run the atmos off the avr or get 2 5-ch for the remaining 9 speakers

14 minutes ago, pdasterly said:

i dont think i need another xpa-1 for my center channel, maybe a 5-ch for center and surrounds and run the atmos off the avr or get 2 5-ch for the remaining 9 speakers

"Need?"  What's that?  We only deal in "want."  :lol:

I think you are going to be outrageously happy with those 600 wpc mono blocks.  I don't know about the new RF-7 III's but the older RF-7 x loved power.  When I added a 200 wpc amp to my already fairly strong 110 wpc AVR the difference was immediate and almost startling.  It made more of a difference than I would have ever guessed.

If you don't mind a suggestion, why not try a single mono block on the center speaker when you get it?  That may help you make up your mind whether or not the 3rd XPA-1 will "need" the power or not.  Then move the pair to L/R duty at your leisure.

Personally I think I would would keep my eyes open for a deal on a 3rd XPA-1 and test how everything else works together.  My opinion would be your new AVR should power any surrounds and Atmos allowing the XPA-1's to run the L/R.  Whether or not your center "needs"  that third mono block will be determined by your ears, with your stuff in your listening room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think you are going to be outrageously happy with those 600 wpc mono blocks.  I don't know about the new RF-7 III's but the older RF-7 x loved power.  When I added a 200 wpc amp to my already fairly strong 110 wpc AVR the difference was immediate and almost startling.  It made more of a difference than I would have ever guessed.

If you don't mind a suggestion, why not try a single mono block on the center speaker when you get it?  That may help you make up you mind whether or not the 3rd XPA-1 will "need" the power or not.  Then move the pair to L/R duty at your leisure.

Personally I think I would would keep my eyes open for a deal on a 3rd XPA-1 and test how everything else works together.  My opinion would be your new AVR should power any surrounds and Atmos allowing the XPA-1's to run the L/R.  Whether or not your center needs  that third mono block will be determined by your ears, with your stuff in your listening room.

can we say dedicated breaker

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Congratulations on the win. I listened to an older EMO 5 channel amp last week pushing Tekton Design Double Impacts. That amp was bigger than some microwave ovens.

I guess we wont be having a comparison review on the emo/monolith/ati debate.

I would have bought the 7 channel b stock by now if shipping was not $111. For full disclosure, I could be wrong in my statement earlier about the monolith 3x,5x,7x being ATI 4000 series. There is a 2007 ATI amp possibility as well. I read somewhere in my research that the Monoprice Monolith amps could be using lower cost caps? Glad I could bring more confusion to the discussion.

building air conditioned equipment closet, space shouldnt be an issue, i have 2 2post 7ft racks side by side

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 7:49 PM, wvu80 said:

If you don't mind a suggestion, why not try a single mono block on the center speaker when you get it?  That may help you make up your mind whether or not the 3rd XPA-1 will "need" the power or not.  Then move the pair to L/R duty at your leisure.

Personally I think I would would keep my eyes open for a deal on a 3rd XPA-1 and test how everything else works together.  My opinion would be your new AVR should power any surrounds and Atmos allowing the XPA-1's to run the L/R.  Whether or not your center "needs"  that third mono block will be determined by your ears, with your stuff in your listening room.

picked up the 3rd xpa-1 for my center channel, ups scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

this hobby is addictive and slightly expensive🙄

• Like 2

I think the 3rd xpa is overkill, the meters only move when playing music, meter is not existant during movies, oh and it’s loud but in a good way, rewatching movie collection and I’ve been listening to music lately, almost feels like I’m in high school again, these speakers rock

i wish Yamaha would release th spec of new pre amp if they are going to release, I need to know how many more channels I’m going to need, can’t decide to continue with emotiva for surrounds or pickup Yamaha power amp, the emo will of course match the other emo but the Yamaha will match looks with avr or pre amp, if no pre amp this year then rx-a3080 is in my sights 

pb16 keeps up with the rf-7 iii effortlessly, I spend most time flipping between 60 and 80Hz on the avr, 80 puts bass in your chest but 60 has a more natural sound

running 3.1, need some rears to step up to 5.1 and reconnect ceiling speakers for 5.1.2. Also have 8 big buttkickers in couch on 2 1000w buttkickers amps so I guess technically 5.2.2

I just saw a local craigslist listing where he is selling 6 XPA-1 amps in the boxes for $200 each. Too bad I already have my new Monoprice Monolith 7X firmly in place now. Yeah, I paid the $112 shipping. Guess I will never know Emo. I don't care what anyone else says about it, the differences between my Outlaw 5000 and the Monolith 7x are clearly audible to me. My neighbors told me they have noticed too.

• Like 1