1954 Klipschorn K-357 Serial 762 - SOLD

WeeBeastie

We're downsizing and could be persuaded to part with the lovely Klipschorn mono speaker.  This forum was very helpful in 2011 when I last considered parting with it, and I wanted to start here to see if anyone would be interested now.  It sounds fabulous, even mono.  It's in great condition, some crazing in the finish, original grill cloth.  (Y'all got excited about that last time, hee hee.)

Measurements: 31"W x 28"D x 51"H.  All original, primavera finish.

My grandfather Hagemeyer sold radio equipment in Mississippi, bought this for his shop in the 1950s, and couldn't sell it.  My dad took it off his hands in '58 or '59.

Local pick up in Plano, Texas would be ideal.  If you can arrange packing and pickup from my home, that works too.  Asking $1500.

large.5ace29cb7ba20_KlipschornIMG_20180331_201619.jpg.7e1db5aab14ea590801490c2503d85e6.jpg5ace2c9ee97f0_Klipschornmono(3).thumb.JPG.eb526dadbc5d1e370a0e9b6f4848f95b.JPG5ace2ba41a770_Klipschornmono(6).thumb.JPG.44faf00ae99c9192039dfdecdd38f506.JPG5ace2ba4efbf0_Klipschornmono(8).thumb.JPG.22831fc386095934f8ea1af6a6f8bcce.JPG

Klipschorn (2)-fixed-3-fixed.jpg

IMG_20180415_115207-fixed.jpg

Klipsch part already installed (1)-fixed.jpg

Edited by WeeBeastie
marking it sold
  • Like 1

That speaker is in a very special class with a serial number well below 1000

Serious collectors will be all over this one, especially Asian, so don't let anyone hoodoo you on this one (maximum dollars realized)

The Back to Mono movement is alive and well in Japan especially

I would suggest Audiogon or maybe even ePay with the clear understanding that the new owner handles freight and packing if shipping is involved

I would think you would want the maximum exposure you could get to the market for one like that (again, for maximum dollars realized)

That speaker could bring you some real money

The folks at the Klipsch museum may even have some degree of interest in an early example like yours but I have no idea

I know there are plenty of members here more than capable of paying the price, whatever it might be, but I would let the market SET it

Best of luck with your sale (although I don't think you'll need any)

Craig 

• Moderators

Beautiful!

You might might want to consider donating it to the Klipsch Museum of Audio History in Hope where it would be preserved and cared for.  Future generations would have the opportunity to see and hear what has delighted your family for nearly 65 years.  We could work with you on the background story 9fnthe speaker so that the story of your grandfather was part of the display along with your donation.

Klipsch donated the land, building and Paul Klipsch's audio museum to the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc., last year.  We are a IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit which would make your donation tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed.

We have had two set of very rare speakers donated to the Museum in the last six months with backgrounds very similar backgrounds as your speaker.  A grandfather purchased them, or was a dealer, etc.   The Curator of the Museum, Jim Hunter, was able to dig up paperwork or log  entries on these other early examples.

Everyone's situation is different but I wanted to put this out there as a possible option.  You can PM me for more information and I can put you in touch with Jim.

Travis

• Like 1

Thanks analogman and dwilawyer for sharing your insight.  I'm still torn about parting with this speaker, but if the right buyer comes along...

Travis/dwilawyer, thanks for the heads up about the Klipsch museum.  The videos had enticing tidbits about early speakers.  If they really wanted mine, I would consider it, but I don't know where they would find room to put it!

I'll keep watching for replies and messages here for a bit.  Y'all let me know if you would like to see more photos.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, WeeBeastie said:

Thanks analogman and dwilawyer for sharing your insight.  I'm still torn about parting with this speaker, but if the right buyer comes along...

Travis/dwilawyer, thanks for the heads up about the Klipsch museum.  The videos had enticing tidbits about early speakers.  If they really wanted mine, I would consider it, but I don't know where they would find room to put it!

I'll keep watching for replies and messages here for a bit.  Y'all let me know if you would like to see more photos.

We have an additional building we just acquired out at the airport in Hope.  We also help the Paul and Valerie Klipsch Museum at Klipsch School of Engineering at NMSU by loaning and rotating speakers to them, and we also have a museum annex at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis.

I will ask our President/Curator, and before his retirement, official Historian for Klipsch, Jim Hunter to see if that speaker fulfills a gap or need in the collection, and whether he has any information on that particular speaker.  If it isn't a good fit for the Museum, he may also be able to help you out on pricing.

Travis

• Thanks 1