RB81-II or RP160M

daddyo

New home, new 5.1 (or 5.2) HT opportunity.   Issue is that new L/C/R speakers must go into a built-in bookshelf surrounding TV.   Speakers can be placed about 7 ft apart and at ear level but will be on a 12" deep shelf and surrounded by a cell with side walls and a top (some flexibility in cell size but not depth).  Listening area is 15x15x10 and open to a larger space.  Surround speakers will be in-ceiling.  80% HT, 20% soft rock music.  Dialogue clarity is very important but loudness is not.   Prefer to keep Yamaha Aventage 660 avr (80wpc).

For this application, am I better off using the RB81's with the front ports or the RP160's ?   Other tips ?

If your are planing to put them into a bookshelf, I would pick always the RB-81 Mk2 because of the port design.

I compared once the RB and RP series, and the RB allows it to put them much closer to a wall or something else than the RP series, who like to have more space for "breathing" around them.

1 hour ago, daddyo said:

For this application, am I better off using the RB81's with the front ports or the RP160's ?

I would say yes definitely.

1 hour ago, daddyo said:

Other tips ?

Or if you do decide to go with the rear ported RP160's, then maybe give them "some" room to breathe and maybe choose a higher crossover frequency so the rear port doesn't come in to play as much.

Bill