Klipsch Powered Speakers

MoJo63

I am sure a lot of purists will chuckle at me so be it.  I got tired of the wired mess sold the SAE equipment donated my JBL speakers system to a church.  And have transitioned into the 2000s.  I own a Klipsch Sound bar and the computer speakers (amazing what they did there) and I once owned some KG4s.  I am torn between the R-28PF and The R-26PF the only major difference I see is the woofer size and the Freq Response is a little different.  Is that the only discernible difference.   I ask because at the site the R-26PF is $999.00 and New Egg is offering the R-28PF for $899.00  Am I missing something here that seems like a good deal for $899.00 

1 hour ago, MoJo63 said:

33 Views no replies.  I guess most are in the same boat I am.  

Probably not in the same boat but the same body of water definitely.;)

On 4/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, MoJo63 said:

I am torn between the R-28PF and The R-26PF the only major difference I see is the woofer size and the Freq Response is a little different.  Is that the only discernible difference.   I ask because at the site the R-26PF is $999.00 and New Egg is offering the R-28PF for $899.00  Am I missing something here that seems like a good deal for $899.00 

Though I have never bought from these guys, some on the forum have.

https://www.adorama.com/us 980679.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Oum5Oy82gIVgh-GCh2G8gDeEAYYASABEgK8MPD_BwE

Bill

On 4/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, MoJo63 said:

I got tired of the wired mess sold the SAE equipment donated my JBL speakers system to a church.  And have transitioned into the 2000s.  

I guess I don't quite understand how going with powered floor-standers reduces your "wired mess"?  ..Now, instead of one simple speaker cable running to each speaker, you now will have a thick proprietary cable that runs from one to the other.  So no net gain there - you'll still have a cable at each.  Plus, whereas a regular speaker cable can be 20-25 feet and therefore long enough to tuck under a carpet, this joiner cable probably won't be.  Then there's the other wires from your sources (eg., cd player, turntable, streaming device, etc..).   ..Now, instead of all of your source wires running discretely to your Amp which in most cases is on the same shelf, they will now have to stretch from whatever they are sitting on to connect to the master speaker.  ..And those wires won't be long enough to run along the ground, they'll probably be visible from your seating position. ..They plug into the speaker about 1/2 the way up.  And do you have a power outlet right next to the master speaker? If not, you'll now have an extension cord running to the master speaker.  

I have no data to back this up but I bet this category of loudspeaker (powered floor-stander) has not been selling very well.

This isn't to suggest they don't sound great - I'm sure they do - I'm just not sure how they make for tidier installation?

17 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I guess I don't quite understand how going with powered floor-standers reduces your "wired mess"?  ..Now, instead of one simple speaker cable running to each speaker, you now will have a thick proprietary cable that runs from one to the other.  So no net gain there - you'll still have a cable at each.  Plus, whereas a regular speaker cable can be 20-25 feet and therefore long enough to tuck under a carpet, this joiner cable probably won't be.  Then there's the other wires from your sources (eg., cd player, turntable, streaming device, etc..).   ..Now, instead of all of your source wires running discretely to your Amp which in most cases is on the same shelf, they will now have to stretch from whatever they are sitting on to connect to the master speaker.  ..And those wires won't be long enough to run along the ground, they'll probably be visible from your seating position. ..They plug into the speaker about 1/2 the way up.  And do you have a power outlet right next to the master speaker? If not, you'll now have an extension cord running to the master speaker.  

I have no data to back this up but I bet this category of loudspeaker (powered floor-stander) has not been selling very well.

This isn't to suggest they don't sound great - I'm sure they do - I'm just not sure how they make for tidier installation?

But you no longer need a receiver, CD, player, turntable all the music is stream-able.  And these speakers hook right to the TV so when I listen to music on Amazon Prime or Pandora it runs right to the speaker.  A lot less cable mess. I just can't figure what the big diff between the R26PF and R28 PF is.

20 hours ago, willland said:

https://www.adorama.com/us 980679.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Oum5Oy82gIVgh-GCh2G8gDeEAYYASABEgK8MPD_BwE

Bill

Thank You

Edited by MoJo63
Additional Information to add

6 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Sigh.  Sacrilege.  Heresy.   ;)

Yeah I know, at the time I could not afford Klipsch, but the kid has graduated and its my time before I die.  Got the Klipsch computer speakers, killer Klipsch Sound bar, next move is the WiFi Bluetooth Floor Standing speakers.

20 hours ago, willland said:

Bill

That is an oddly amazing price.  At the site the R26PF is $999.00 I wonder if it's a misprint and I question that because the R28 Non Powered Speaker http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-floorstanding-speakers?model=r-28f

is that cost on the site.

1 hour ago, MoJo63 said:

But you no longer need a receiver, CD, player, turntable all the music is stream-able.  And these speakers hook right to the TV so when I listen to music on Amazon Prime or Pandora it runs right to the speaker.  A lot less cable mess. I just can't figure what the big diff between the R26PF and R28 PF is.

Ok, so I now understand you're not interested in a turntable or cd player, which i can totally understand.   But you will still have speakers that are tethered to something.  The master speaker will be tethered to a wall outlet via a power cord, then it will have a 2nd cord that extends to the other speaker.  So both speaker have wires, which is where you are now.  In fact, one will have two, and the cable joining them is of a set length. 

How about this?  Check out this link.  https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/wireless_amplifier.html?&pg=1 Consider buying one of these wireless/ streaming amplifiers (one is a Klipsch product!) which will allow you to buy any klipsch speaker you want.  A couple of them are so small they could even be hid behind the speaker so you wouldn't even need something to set it on.  Here's the advantages over a powered speaker:

• You can use with any speaker you want
  • You can use any speaker cable you want (cheap wire is just fine - don't believe the nonesense about exotic speaker cable)
  • You're not having to send in a whole speaker if you ever need servicing.  Most people have had amps that needed servicing at some point, imagine the hassle of having to box up a whole floor standing speaker.  Plus, I don't believe Klipsch actually builds the plate-amps used in their powered speakers, who knows if they will be able to service it 4 or 5 years down the road.
  • Some of these amps probably support a greater number of streaming conventions than the Klipsch models you're considering.

Again, I'm sure these models you're considering sound great, but I have a hard time understanding the advantages of building an amp built into a speaker.

The fact that no one has weighed in with a first-account opinion of either speaker perhaps tells you that very few people see the utility of a powered floor-stander.

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

Ok, so I now understand you're not interested in a turntable or cd player, which i can totally understand.   But you will still have speakers that are tethered to something.  The master speaker will be tethered to a wall outlet via a power cord, then it will have a 2nd cord that extends to the other speaker.  So both speaker have wires, which is where you are now.  In fact, one will have two, and the cable joining them is of a set length. 

How about this?  Check out this link.  https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/wireless_amplifier.html?&pg=1 Consider buying one of these wireless/ streaming amplifiers (one is a Klipsch product!) which will allow you to buy any klipsch speaker you want.  A couple of them are so small they could even be hid behind the speaker so you wouldn't even need something to set it on.  Here's the advantages over a powered speaker:

• You can use with any speaker you want
  • You can use any speaker cable you want (cheap wire is just fine - don't believe the nonesense about exotic speaker cable)
  • You're not having to send in a whole speaker if you ever need servicing.  Most people have had amps that needed servicing at some point, imagine the hassle of having to box up a whole floor standing speaker.  Plus, I don't believe Klipsch actually builds the plate-amps used in their powered speakers, who knows if they will be able to service it 4 or 5 years down the road.
  • Some of these amps probably support a greater number of streaming conventions than the Klipsch models you're considering.

Again, I'm sure these models you're considering sound great, but I have a hard time understanding the advantages of building an amp built into a speaker.

The fact that no one has weighed in with a first-account opinion of either speaker perhaps tells you that very few people see the utility of a powered floor-stander.

That wireless amp is an alternative I have to research.  I just figured the two aforementioned speakers be rated at 260 Watts would be a lot easier to work with.  You can't possibly know the configuration of my room but in a nut shell, the TV sits on a stand that has a receptacle directly behind it.  From there I have place on the stand out of site a six plug heavy duty surge protector.  In that are the TV, Blu Ray, and Klipsch Sound bar.  My train of thought is that the speakers will take the place of the sound bar and wireless sub and connect directly to the TV thus they will work as my speakers for the TV and provide me stereo sound.  I can plug them into the surge protector and hide that cable and the tethering cable in the stand behind pictures and assorted what-nots.  I am really under educated as to how these wireless amps and gates work I will have to look into them. 

I am not a lover of extreme levels of bass although I understand the need. I was hoping the R-28PF with the two 8" woofers would suffice in a room that is 10x12.  It's a small room and even that speaker may be to large for the room.  But there are times I feel compelled to hit the neighbors with some Stevie Ray Vaughn.  I am also considering The Sixes with some 28" speaker stands.  Because I am a man of limited means and spent what I did have on my kids education I have been out of the game for a very long time so I struggle with some of the technology out there.

• 8 months later...

Well sorry to bring this back up but the wife has ordered The Sixes for me, she tries to be sneaky but the email confirmations are set to me so she doesn't realize I know they are in route.  I got to thinking about something and wanted so input.  I currently own the Klipsch R20B soundbard with wireless sub, it is hooked into my TV via the Digital / Optical cable.  I was wondering when The Sixes arrive if the soundbar could be hooked into the TV using old school AV Jacks and The Sixes hooked into the set using the Digital Optical Cable?

I ask because I listen to a lot of music with my Amazon Prime account I like Amazon's music set up it offers a lot of options and while I can still stream my collection the Prime option is a lot more convenient.  Would there be any reason this could not be done?  I realize I may have to assign the speaker each time ie watching TV versus listening to music.