Adding a sub

KevinM

I have a rsb-14 with that little 8" sub, (WI-FI), Not quite enough sub for me, but dont want to go all out on stereo stuff, just lookin to add 1 bigger better sub OR 1 more 8" sub exactly like the one that came with the rsb-14, any thoughts or advice from ya'all out there, thx in advance.

Just a bit more than what this little thing puts out ya know, for a sound bar its great, mids n highs are ok, but it just needs lows, I would love to have the r 115sw, but I only have wi fi and I was told by crutchfield that it wont work with the freq of the sound bar and there was no way to make it work. I was thinkin, well maybe I could find 1 more like fer like 8" sub from another rsb-14 and pair em together with the sound bar to make it all work together and get a lil bit more low end??? Thx for the welcome!

room 001.JPG

Edited by KevinM

Your subwoofer is rated down to 28 Hz (pretty nice), typically on the floor in a corner, and for up to 115 dB.  Try moving it, it doesn't need to be under the TV and maybe turning the output up a notch. 

You could have a room issue, with your seat in an area of low bass.  Moving the sub should help.  Multiple subs also help even the bass across the room, but you need to have a connection to send the signal to the second sub.  I don't see one available.  Contact Klipsch to see if an RP-110WSW will connect and run in parallel with your subwoofer. 

Try the corner first.

If I'm not mistaken, adding a sub (assuming it's a duplicate) to the existing sub will only add 3dB of level; hardly detectable.

I think John A's suggestion to move the sub into a corner is a good, free experiment. I'd relocate it to where those knick knacks are on either side of the screen.

Try facing the driver into the corner rather than into the room.

That room looks like is part of an open floor plan. That sub will need to fill the open floor plan volume, rather than just your viewing area. For test purposes, you could try locating a second sub in the adjacent area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter P. said:

If I'm not mistaken, adding a sub (assuming it's a duplicate) to the existing sub will only add 3dB of level; hardly detectable.

Adding another powered "speaker" or driver results in a 6 dB gain.  Three for the doubled cone area and 3 more for the doubled amplifier power.  Since subwoofers get the exact same signal, this rule is accurate for them. 

9 hours ago, JohnA said:

Adding another powered "speaker" or driver results in a 6 dB gain.  Three for the doubled cone area and 3 more for the doubled amplifier power.  Since subwoofers get the exact same signal, this rule is accurate for them. 

Thanks for the correction. I knew there was a firm, calculated value.