I love, love, love, love, love just flat out love...

thebes

1 hour ago, edmjm said:

hello, operator...how may I direct your call?

(giving away my age with that one)

I know someone who got into playing modular synthesizers precisely because when he was 5 years old he used to play with an old telephone switchboard that was in the basement of the house he grew up in. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Definitely considering a C22 Reissue....

I have to say the new C22 is a great preamp. Great phono stage that is adjustable to any Mc or mm cart and all the features of the preamps that I grew up drooling over.  I finally pulled the trigger on this and boy am I glad I did!

I have to say the new C22 is a great preamp. Great phono stage that is adjustable to any Mc or mm cart and all the features of the preamps that I grew up drooling over.  I finally pulled the trigger on this and boy am I glad I did!

Is it the C 22 I I or the C 22 I I I?

On 4/18/2018 at 4:12 PM, jimjimbo said:

Is it the C 22 I I or the C 22 I I I?

It’s the c22 that they are currently selling and is featured on the McIntosh website. . I believe that is the 111. 

J

Edited by joshnich
Spelling

Car, home or work. Knobs please. 

I specifically looked for a volume knob when I decided to have my car stereo upgraded. Period. All this hand waving, tapping or talking to command the radio to do something is annoying. 

I can easily reach over and turn down the volume (and keep my eyes on the road)with a push have be muted.

At home one of the things that bothered me about modern gear aside of it being black is its reliance on the remote. I've been a Denon fan all my life but it drives me NUTZ that without the remote you are looking at a doorstop with some of their gear. Be careful which model you buy. 

On the other hand while I'm not a Yamaha fan when it comes to their sound I DO give them credit for allowing some functionality if you lose the remote with access to everything via knobs & switches. Smart people over at Yamaha. 

So give me a good ole 30 or 70 lbs of receiver with aluminum machined knobs even as "lowly" as the Sony str 7055. The quality of the scalloped knobs with beveled edges and it's slight resistance give it that feel of a well engineered product. I'll even go so far as to say they best even the mighty Marantz 2500 when it comes to knobs. In fact Sony probably made one of the best ever. 

Look closely. 

6150922980_5eb6a8d2a5_b.jpg

audio_1977-11_marantz-ad.jpg

• Like 3