70th anniversary La Scala II

W27

Deano, don't know if I missed this but are you subbing your new Cherry LS 2's? If so, with what?
Hey SonicMan no im not subbing them as the bass for me is spot on, In my room a sub is not needed,

I was a little worried that many people on this forum were saying that I might need a sub

This is not the case the LSIIs have superb bass and its very acurate

Obviously this is purely my POV others may need to add a sub depending on taste and room acoustics/layout

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Funny how your wife said if you really want them you can have them

Did you manage to spot what was on the page of the prada catalogue she was reading when she said that lol

It's OK Deano.  She uses that "reverse psych" on him EVERY time.  He should just start eating beans & wieners and drinking water for dinner.  No more lobster and over-priced vino.  She asks why it's simple.  Cutting costs so I can get my new horns.  😂😂😎

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Schu said:

day six...

Order Placed

Order XXXXXXXXXXXX Placed July 3, 2018

We’re reviewing your order

still reviewing... really?

Two business days. Holiday week and today is the 8th., relax.

• Like 3

Orders for in-stock items placed on business days before 6:00 PM ET (Eastern Time) are generally shipped the same day.

Please note weekend orders, placed on Fridays after 1:00 PM ET will be processed on the following Monday.

• Like 1

OK; have to add a couple of comments regarding "why" I did not get the La Scala's ... or, haha, get remarks on my "manhood." :D 

As stated,  had a test session with LS 2's and concluded that there just is no substitute for larger (2" exit) horns.  With a 400% bigger area they yield much more presence, clarity and punch. Also they have only 25% distortion compared to 1" exit coils.

Spend hours today researching the Jubilee hotns ... the "small" K510 and "large" K402 horns.  Found many posts by people trying to "upgrade" their LS 1 &2's ... member @Coytee came up with the "JubScala," basically a LS bottom with a K510 or 402 horn.  Even received Roy Delgado's stamp of approval! :D 

So; think my KPT-904's are pretty close to the JubScala's :D  Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep my small K510's or upgrade to the big, big 402's. (Maybe I'll try some LS bottoms also if I can find a cheap pair :) )

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

Others that listen more critically than I do might argue what I"m going to say to you but....  in my opinion:

The biggest difference (to me) between the two is if you are mobile.  The two horns as I recall Roy telling me once (long ago) were designed to sound the same.  The big difference is the larger horn will hold the dispersion pattern better (lower frequency too) than the smaller horn.

This was easily ascertained once when Roy played them both (one after the other) in their anechoic chamber.  With the larger horn, when you walked beside or behind the speaker, the sound noticeably dropped.  When the K510 was on top (both using Jubilee bass bins) you could walk beside and then behind and hear more of the sound.

So, with the smaller horn, you will get more sound "splashing" onto the walls/ceiling, maybe even your apron as you bake your biscuits but that's about it.

I heard them both (402/510) once in Indianapolis at a Klipsch shin-dig... since I had some, I didn't fight the crowd to stand in front of the speakers to audition them.  I was at a table off to the side.  This was really, the first time I noticed the differences between the two.  When the 510 was playing, I could hear more high-end content (that which was splashing around the sides of the horn) while the 402 played, it seemed more muted.

It really was an interesting revelation for me as I had always read how a larger horn can control the sound better but this really put it into real world observation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The biggest difference (to me) between the two is if you are mobile.  The two horns as I recall Roy telling me once (long ago) were designed to sound the same.  The big difference is the larger horn will hold the dispersion pattern better (lower frequency too) than the smaller horn.

@Coytee. Awesome; thank you SIR! Kept on reading trying to compare them but found it hard to find a good answer - until now.  So was going to buy a pair of 402's just to "try them."  Guess that's no longer necessary. Thanks for saving me $2000+  :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

I'll split it with ya ;)

Again, "my opinion" but if you are sitting ON axis, I can't tell a difference.

I could see where someone might argue/suggest that because of the better behaved K402, it will create fewer side-wall issues with sound splashing around and hitting them.

For 50% of $2,000 savings, I can see staying put.

Lemme know when you put the check in the mail... :emotion-19:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1